News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Miscellaneous PC & vidya Games Thread

Started by Syt, June 26, 2012, 12:12:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FunkMonk

Elden Ring is releasing soon. I've never played a Soulsgame before but from what I understand it's a Soulsgame but set in an open world. It looks pretty cool.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

celedhring

I've seen some Let's Play and it looks very enticing. I've also never played a Souls game.

celedhring

Quote from: Tyr on February 15, 2022, 07:42:47 AM
True. Though I doubt it's that simple with internal accounting. The game division has to mark down that if bought server space from the server division.

It's still neutral for the corporation. And really, AWS are the kings of scalable computing capacity, it's weird that they didn't lean more heavily on them.

Jacob

If Amazon can't leverage AWS for the launch of their game, that speaks poorly of their organization IMO.

bogh

The different parts of Amazon are often deliberately decoupled (to the point of overlapping projects are allowed to run side by side until one emerges a winner), but still they should at the very least be able to pull in relevant people and spin up capacity easily. But infrastructure isn't everything, scaling also depends on the code in question. So it's embarrassing to be sure, but isn't incomprehensible at all.

Oexmelin

Quote from: FunkMonk on February 15, 2022, 07:43:48 AM
Elden Ring is releasing soon. I've never played a Soulsgame before but from what I understand it's a Soulsgame but set in an open world. It looks pretty cool.

As you can see from a few posts above, I am a recent convert. It can take time to get it, but once you do, they're amazing experiences.

Apparently Elden Ring is also more welcoming to new players.
Que le grand cric me croque !

Berkut

I just got an XBOX Series X along with the Game Pass (that deal where you get to finance the XBOX at zero interest along with the Game Pass).

What games should I be looking at? So far I've gotten Mass Effect combo, F1 2020, Elite, and Halo.

There is a lot on there available, but I didn't see anything about Dark Souls (and I looked).

Also it gives me the PC Game Pass as well, so I've been messing around with Age of Empires IV.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Oexmelin

I have had a lot of fun engineering ridiculous assassination in hitman.

If you've never played Alien Isolation, it's an amazing, and terrifying experience.

Grey Fox

Skyrim 😉

I like to try all the Indies. Hades, Dead Cells, Skull, Death Door.

Play It takes two with one of your kids.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

crazy canuck

For those playing Lost Ark, Lostarkmap.com will help a lot as you move through the zones levelling up.

Jacob

Quote from: bogh on February 15, 2022, 03:00:03 PM
The different parts of Amazon are often deliberately decoupled (to the point of overlapping projects are allowed to run side by side until one emerges a winner), but still they should at the very least be able to pull in relevant people and spin up capacity easily. But infrastructure isn't everything, scaling also depends on the code in question. So it's embarrassing to be sure, but isn't incomprehensible at all.

Oh it's not incomprehensible. It just doesn't reflect well, is all.

But live and learn.

It's more just that Amazon has a reputation for paying well and for being really really really demanding. All justified by "we only want the best who give 150%" or some such, because that's how you get the best results and are the most competitive and all that jazz.

And yet, they kind of fumble this just like other game companies do, so all this "we burn you out because you're the BEST doing the BEST" culture isn't really getting them anywhere further than any other company in this particular space.

FunkMonk

Quote from: Oexmelin on February 15, 2022, 04:13:30 PM
Quote from: FunkMonk on February 15, 2022, 07:43:48 AM

As you can see from a few posts above, I am a recent convert. It can take time to get it, but once you do, they're amazing experiences.

Apparently Elden Ring is also more welcoming to new players.

Yeah that is a big catch for me. I don't have much time to play video games so if I can just jump right in and not have to learn over the course of dozens of hours the basic gameplay that is optimal.

I'll be getting the PC port so hopefully not too many bugs.

Oexmelin

To be fair, I was playing DS once or twice a week, for a couple of hours, usually after teaching, because I am brain dead by then. DS lasted me throughout the fall, and DS3, from Christmas to last week. On the one hand, I think the learning curve, though steep, is not such a big deal as it's often made to be. But it was basically my only video game during that time. So if you get easily bored with games and need to have different games in frequent rotation, it's not optimal.

I was also playing offline, so no PvP, no invasion, etc. It was perfectly doable. I don't know how amenable to single, offline playing Elden Ring will be.

FunkMonk

Yeah, I tend to float between games I'm actively trying to play every couple weeks, although if I get hooked on one then I usually finish it. And in open world games my tendency is also to float between tasks or just explore the world. I am really interested in this iteration of the Souls experience, but like you it will probably take months for me to finish  :D

Iormlund

Quote from: Jacob on February 15, 2022, 11:47:34 PM
Oh it's not incomprehensible. It just doesn't reflect well, is all.

But live and learn.

It's more just that Amazon has a reputation for paying well and for being really really really demanding. All justified by "we only want the best who give 150%" or some such, because that's how you get the best results and are the most competitive and all that jazz.

And yet, they kind of fumble this just like other game companies do, so all this "we burn you out because you're the BEST doing the BEST" culture isn't really getting them anywhere further than any other company in this particular space.

Apparently the game architecture simply doesn't allow for easy scaling.

Which some people seem to think places the blame on this entirely on SmileyGate.

But the thing is, as publisher Amazon should have pushed for something as trivial as character transfers to be ready for a global deployment. If nothing else because a) they fucked up already with New World's launch and b) it reflects extremely poorly on AWS itself, which is the most profitable part of the company.