And we're back!

Main Menu

The Miscellaneous PC & vidya Games Thread

Started by Syt, June 26, 2012, 12:12:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Brain

Quote from: Jacob on January 12, 2022, 07:57:22 PM
Quote from: Solmyr on January 12, 2022, 02:27:03 PM
Been playing Vagrus - The Riven Realms. It's a RPG without a main story, where you play a leader of a traveling merchant and/or mercenary company in a Roman-inspired post-apocalyptic world. Your goal is to get rich and/or famous and there are various side stories you can find in the world. Lots of lore and history.

What's the gameplay like?

There's a free prologue for the interested. :)
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

crazy canuck

Expeditions Rome is out - I have played for about an hour - the action points based combat is a nice change.  It makes combat a more tactical then it was in Vikings.  Interesting opening premise for your character and the dialogue options are well scripted.  Graphics are pretty nice as an added bonus.   

Josquius

Do they have a 21st century UI on this one?
That killed conquistador for me.
██████
██████
██████

crazy canuck

Quote from: Tyr on January 25, 2022, 11:04:42 AM

You realize how old conquistador is right?  Vikings was made years after that.  And it has been about 5 years since the release of Vikings.

Jacob

garbon

Quote from: crazy canuck on January 25, 2022, 01:53:37 PM
Quote from: Tyr on January 25, 2022, 11:04:42 AM

You realize how old conquistador is right?  Vikings was made years after that.  And it has been about 5 years since the release of Vikings.

The UI for conquistador looked shitty even in its time. I bought it in 2014 and gave up for that same reason.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Habbaku

I gave up on Vikings because the combat was a drag and the storyline not particularly engaging. I hope Rome is better.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

crazy canuck

Quote from: Jacob on January 25, 2022, 02:58:18 PM
How good is Expeditions: Rome?

Can't really say, an hour of gameplay really just gets me just past the intro piece.  But looks good so far.

celedhring

Conquistador had an engaging story - I loved the attention paid to the period, besides some small things done for gameplay purposes - but the combat bored me to tears.

If Rome is more fun to play, I'll certainly get it.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Jacob on January 25, 2022, 02:58:18 PM
How good is Expeditions: Rome?

Ok, played around a bit more and I really like it.  There are a lot of choices to be made regarding how you skill up your group; how you equip; manage your legions; and manage your economy.  Lots of levels to this game in addition the usual dialogue choices that have meaningful impacts on the game which is the hallmark of the Expedition series.  I also really like the combat, many options here (pro tip you can weapon switch at the start of a turn to get options presented by other weapons/gear).

mongers

Just noticed the classic Bitmap Brothers platfomer 'Gods' is in the Steam sale for $1, well worth it for a blast from the past:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/628720/GODS_Remastered/
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

celedhring

Guy in Spanish EUOT has posted this easter egg from Expeditions: Rome

He says they're recruitable.

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Josquius

I bought a pack containing Suzerain and Yes Your Grace.
Despite having zero time to play games at all.
I have had my eye on them for some time though....
██████
██████
██████

Oexmelin

Many years ago, Syt posted how he found the Dark Souls game somehow relaxing. I bought Dark Souls then, but just couldn't get into it and didn't really have the time. I got back to it last fall, and finally "got" both the game, and what Syt was saying. Since then, I have finished DS, and started (and am almost finished with) Dark Souls III. The last couple of sessions Sister Friede has been mopping the floor with my character. And yet, what a fascinating and beautiful game.

Thanks, Syt.
Que le grand cric me croque !