News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Miscellaneous PC & vidya Games Thread

Started by Syt, June 26, 2012, 12:12:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

Quote from: Sheilbh on September 17, 2021, 12:38:13 PM
I have once again bought a good, fun reasonably big game and become entirely obsessed with the mini-game. In this case I bought Judgement and now mainly play mahjong on it :blush:

You could have bought Yakuza 0 instead if you wanted to play Mahjong. Or darts. Or Outrun. Or a ton of other mini games :P
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Syt on September 17, 2021, 12:54:59 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on September 17, 2021, 12:38:13 PM
I have once again bought a good, fun reasonably big game and become entirely obsessed with the mini-game. In this case I bought Judgement and now mainly play mahjong on it :blush:

You could have bought Yakuza 0 instead if you wanted to play Mahjong. Or darts. Or Outrun. Or a ton of other mini games :P
:lol: I have Yakuza 0 but not really got into it for some reason. Will return to it though because I like the idea a lot.
Let's bomb Russia!

Syt

Quote from: Sheilbh on September 17, 2021, 12:55:57 PM
:lol: I have Yakuza 0 but not really got into it for some reason. Will return to it though because I like the idea a lot.

It's a rather confounding mix of super serious melodrama main plot and ridiculous and silly comedy side quests (doubly funny with Kiriu and his super serious demeanor :lol: ) :D
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Sheilbh

That is actually one of my favourite things about the series - it's a really great balance which I like a lot.
Let's bomb Russia!

Syt

1998's Hardwar has been re-released: https://www.zoom-platform.com/product/hardwar

Bit of a cult classic. Think Elite, but more cyberpunk, with a bit more story, set on Titan, and with FMV actors.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Josquius

Yakuza 0 is fantastic.
Though the mahjong and Japanese chess mini games mystified me
██████
██████
██████

Syt

I'm still mostly playing FF14. Unlike in other MMOs I don't feel the need to rush, and I can just do what I feel like when I log in. Go and level my mining? Sure. Level my secondary class? Can do. Continue the main story? Run some dungeons? And I've only tried 3 of the classes/professions yet, and have yet to dabble with PvP or the randomized challenged dungeons. (Not to mention the content that will unlock by progressing the main story.) It all feels very chill and relaxed. And it's also a nice break from the grimdark fantasy worlds we often get these days. It also helps that the devs have a very strong stance against toxic behavior and chat.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Zanza

Jagged Alliance 3 announced with turn-based combat, some f the old mercenaries etc. I loved JA2, so I will follow this development.

https://www.pcgamer.com/uk/jagged-alliance-3-announced-please-let-it-not-suck/

Berkut

Quote from: Syt on September 18, 2021, 11:25:12 AM
I'm still mostly playing FF14. Unlike in other MMOs I don't feel the need to rush, and I can just do what I feel like when I log in. Go and level my mining? Sure. Level my secondary class? Can do. Continue the main story? Run some dungeons? And I've only tried 3 of the classes/professions yet, and have yet to dabble with PvP or the randomized challenged dungeons. (Not to mention the content that will unlock by progressing the main story.) It all feels very chill and relaxed. And it's also a nice break from the grimdark fantasy worlds we often get these days. It also helps that the devs have a very strong stance against toxic behavior and chat.

I downloaded it after seeing some reviews. It looks interesting, and the "vive" is so weird!
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Syt

It has a fairly generous free trial (up to level 60, I think), but some limitations - how much money you can have, no tells to other players, that kind of thing.

The original main story is not exactly great for much of its runtime (though it picks up around level 35), some side quests are amusing. If I had one complaint it's that your class unlocks cool abilities quite slowly with some classes getting key abilities in their 40s or 50s. I spent much of the first 20 or so levels only using two or three buttons in combat.

Also, gameplay is not super challenging (at least as tank, I occasionally die as pugilist/monk) on early levels. Also, try not to run every quest you see, especially the unlocks for other jobs, or you will probably go insane. :D Focus on one, maybe two classes (if you much outlevel the quest content). Also, get used to content that you outlevel (Fates, i.e. world events; dungeons) level sync you by default, which can often mean you're back to having fewer skills than you've unlocked (e.g. when you're running a level 16 dungeon as level 30 character).

I like the game for its overall chill vibe. Check out a few beginner guides, because I felt quite overwhelmed when I started.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

Couple more random thoughts - FF14 is generally quite story heavy. So I hope you like reading. :P

Also, when you go to dungeons the first time, others will get a message that it's someone's first time. Don't feel bad about watching cutscenes in a dungeon - people know if there's someone doing a dungeon for the first time they want to watch the content. It's good etiquette to tell the party it's your first run, and ask if there's anything you need to know (the first few dungeons are very forgiving, so if you played WOW, most mechanics will be straightforward). If you're not the tank, then you may find yourself struggling to keep up with the speed of the group. If it's too fast, ask them to slow down, or ask for pointers about what you should be doing. Most people are quite helpful. (I main a tank, so I get mostly to set my own speed :P ).

If someone is rude or toxic, you can report them, and admins usually are quite harsh in such cases.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

Also, Jesse Cox has just uploaded a Lore video for beginners which is "99% spoiler free" (his words).

https://youtu.be/GaQ__5ZBwBc
—Stephen Jay Gould

KRonn

Quote from: Zanza on September 19, 2021, 07:43:41 AM
Jagged Alliance 3 announced with turn-based combat, some f the old mercenaries etc. I loved JA2, so I will follow this development.

I liked JA 2 also, so I may want to check this out when it's released. Thks for the info!

DGuller

Quote from: Zanza on September 19, 2021, 07:43:41 AM

Please don't suck, please don't suck, please don't suck...

Syt

The Maker of classical paintings adventure games Four Last Things and Procession to Calvary is soon releasing Death of the Reprobate: https://youtu.be/ykPr5D-V2H8
—Stephen Jay Gould