News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Miscellaneous PC & vidya Games Thread

Started by Syt, June 26, 2012, 12:12:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

Quote from: Tyr on May 26, 2021, 09:28:42 AMGTA Online and Eldar Scrolls Online/Fallout 76 have stolen all their attention.

Elder Scrolls Online is done by a third-party studio.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Grey Fox

The Skyrim studio is currently working on 6, Starfield & Blades.

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Valmy

Significantly more time has passed now since Dragon Age Inquisition was released than the between Dragon Age Origins and Dragon Age Inquisition.

But, you know, they were working on Anthem for some crazy amount of time. Time well spent.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Iormlund

Most "classic" game studios seem to be suffering from the same malady. See: Blizzard.

Sheilbh

Is it just that they can wring more money out of their last release and re-porting it to new devices? Or have they all moved online like Tyr was saying with ESO or GTAO?

Because it seems kind of baffling :mellow:
Let's bomb Russia!

Valmy

Quote from: Sheilbh on May 26, 2021, 01:44:54 PM
Is it just that they can wring more money out of their last release and re-porting it to new devices? Or have they all moved online like Tyr was saying with ESO or GTAO?

Because it seems kind of baffling :mellow:

For awhile the orthodoxy was that games were dead and online services were what should be done. I think that is all it is. Game publishers are notorious for all agreeing what the public wants and then trying to get the public to want it. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Syt

Games as a service is attractive to large corporations. Instead of going through cycles of development + big release (which may or may not break even) they can (theoretically) generate a steady, reliable revenue stream. Of course there's hybrid cases like EA Sports titles that are a mix of annual releases and heavy in game monetization. But the goal for many seems to be to have something like Fortnite or Destiny 2 or similar that keeps customers "engaged" and coming back regularly and spend money.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Grey Fox

It's the generational shift. The triple A market skews younger for customers and since it's soul crushing it also does for its workforce. They are not interested in making a new GTA, they want to make the new Fortnite or LoL.

Jacob

Quote from: Syt on May 26, 2021, 01:59:23 PM
Games as a service is attractive to large corporations. Instead of going through cycles of development + big release (which may or may not break even) they can (theoretically) generate a steady, reliable revenue stream. Of course there's hybrid cases like EA Sports titles that are a mix of annual releases and heavy in game monetization. But the goal for many seems to be to have something like Fortnite or Destiny 2 or similar that keeps customers "engaged" and coming back regularly and spend money.

Yeah, that's what it looks like to me.

It's a much better risk: reward than pumping however many hundred million dollars into an AAA game and hope you don't fuck it up. Standards are pretty high as well, in terms of graphics and in terms of amount of content required. And if you don't shoot for those high bars, your chance of being rejected by consumers are much higher. Whereas pumping out season-pass content for established games with established costumers safe and predictable and lucrative.

Valmy

Is it a better risk/reward? Making those games as a service seems to have resulted in many spectacular financial failures. It kind of reminds me of the rush to make the WoW killing MMORPG back in the day. I mean ESL worked out pretty well but lots of financial carnage occurred trying to make ESL type games.

Granted releasing new versions of Skyrim or new content for established games is not that.

I mean this is also a world where Minecraft and Undertale were huge smash hits. Granted AAA games would need to be better looking than that, but why do you HAVE to have super fancy graphics and tons of content?

garbon

Quote from: Grey Fox on May 26, 2021, 03:10:46 PM
It's the generational shift. The triple A market skews younger for customers and since it's soul crushing it also does for its workforce. They are not interested in making a new GTA, they want to make the new Fortnite or LoL.

I've been looking on with confusion when someone genuinely asked if there was/expected there to be a league of legends mod for ck3
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

viper37

Quote from: Grey Fox on November 12, 2020, 07:15:17 AM
Looking forward to December when the PC version comes out so I can play Titanfall 2.

I was given this game the other day.  It's a pretty cool game. But I think the sp campaign is less than 10hrs.  Damn short it was!

Still, if you find it in the bargain bin, I recommend it.  A mix of FPS and Mech combat, it's a nice one to play. :)
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Syt

Quote from: garbon on May 27, 2021, 01:21:31 AM
Quote from: Grey Fox on May 26, 2021, 03:10:46 PM

I've been looking on with confusion when someone genuinely asked if there was/expected there to be a league of legends mod for ck3

Well, it's getting a show on Netflix (or was that DOTA?), so I guess some people are invested enough in the lore? :P
—Stephen Jay Gould

Grey Fox

Dota. Season 1 has been available for a while.

The Brain

Sitter ni i venten och spelar lite Dota?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.