And we're back!

Main Menu

The Miscellaneous PC & vidya Games Thread

Started by Syt, June 26, 2012, 12:12:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacob

Quote from: Syt on May 22, 2021, 12:47:55 PM
Wrong use of apostrophe, but still ... damn. :lol:

I don't know if there'll ever be another GTA.

The bar is so high, and basically all the people who made it are no longer at Rockstar.

I mean, one day there could be a reinvention I suppose.

Syt

I guess Elder Scrolls is in a similar spot (incidentally also on #5), with Skyrim being seemingly endlessly re-released for 10 years (though at least we know that TES6 is in the works, at least).
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Valmy

Yeah we went from AAA companies shoving half completed games out the door to them just not releasing anything at all. I guess we never knew how good we had it.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Josquius

Quote from: Jacob on May 24, 2021, 09:01:23 PM
Quote from: Syt on May 22, 2021, 12:47:55 PM
Wrong use of apostrophe, but still ... damn. :lol:

I don't know if there'll ever be another GTA.

The bar is so high, and basically all the people who made it are no longer at Rockstar.

I mean, one day there could be a reinvention I suppose.

Where did they go?
It's not like GTA is star wars or the like. Pretty easy to make gta without the gta license.
Though gta clones are light on the ground these days...

(Ps sleeping dogs 2 plz)
██████
██████
██████

Jacob

Quote from: Tyr on May 25, 2021, 01:05:49 PM
Where did they go?

Ousted in various power struggles and/ or for inappropriate behaviour.

QuoteIt's not like GTA is star wars or the like. Pretty easy to make gta without the gta license.

Depends on your definition of "easy". Personally, I think it's pretty hard.

QuoteThough gta clones are light on the ground these days...

... they're not that easy to make, and the dream of stealing GTA's lunch is not compelling publishers I suppose.

Quote(Ps sleeping dogs 2 plz)

Would absolutely love to do it. A few considerations:

1) Square owns the IP, so it's their call.

2) The situation around Hong Kong has changed a bit since Sleeping Dogs. That may influence development.

Barrister

Yeah, aren't those kind of GTA-ish open world games really, really expensive to do?  And publishers don't like to spend that kind of money without a well-established IP to go along with it?

I mean GTA itself started out pretty humbly in the DOS-era and would've been much cheaper to build back then.

Cyberpunk 2077 was probably the latest attempt to build a new open-world franchise (I mean it was based on an 80s PnP RPG, but that's a mighty thin IP).  It looks like it made money but it was in development for close to a decade.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Josquius

Open world games are pretty common IMO. None have tried to do gta in recent times though. I guess the closest recent one was mafia 3?

And yeah. Didn't mean by easy to do that making it would actually be easy. Rather that copying gta is possible as the license doesn't contain recurring characters, settings are pretty interchangeable and not too fundamental etc...
It's not like trying to make a new star wars game without the license where the setting is pretty core.
██████
██████
██████

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

celedhring

Christ, Skyrim nearly 10 years since Skyrim came out? Now this makes me feel old.

Syt

Quote from: celedhring on May 26, 2021, 09:04:17 AM
Christ, Skyrim nearly 10 years since Skyrim came out? Now this makes me feel old.

Around the same time as Star Wars: The Old Republic. :P
—Stephen Jay Gould

Josquius

But we do have a bazillion different new editions of skyrim.

And yeah. Doesn't feel that long that skyrim came out whilst morrowind feels ancient.
██████
██████
██████

Sheilbh

Weird - are any of them working on big new games? I mean surely they must be :blink: :hmm:
Let's bomb Russia!

The Brain

Far Cry 6 is in development AFAIK, if that counts.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Josquius

Quote from: Sheilbh on May 26, 2021, 09:21:26 AM
Weird - are any of them working on big new games? I mean surely they must be :blink: :hmm:

GTA Online and Eldar Scrolls Online/Fallout 76 have stolen all their attention.
██████
██████
██████

Syt

Quote from: Sheilbh on May 26, 2021, 09:21:26 AM

Bethesda is working on "Project Starfield", a new sci-fi IP, but nothing has been shown of it. The confirmed a few years ago to be working on Elder Scrolls 6, but that it would be a long ways off and would be released after Project Starfield.
—Stephen Jay Gould