News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Miscellaneous PC & vidya Games Thread

Started by Syt, June 26, 2012, 12:12:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Habbaku

CC, can you give an example of a game that is described as roguelike that doesn't meet the definition of roguelike?
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Razgovory

Back in the 1990's all shooters were "doom-clones".  At least until Quake.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

celedhring

Quote from: Habbaku on February 17, 2021, 03:43:47 PM
CC, can you give an example of a game that is described as roguelike that doesn't meet the definition of roguelike?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slay_the_Spire

QuoteSlay the Spire is a roguelike video game

Really, it has just become a word to define games with procedural level generation.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Habbaku on February 17, 2021, 03:43:47 PM

FTL is an example - Cel's example of Slay the Spire is probably better.  Probably the best is Endless Dungeon - it is its own creation based on a number of influences.

Grey Fox

Both FTL & Slay the Spire are roguelikes.

No Man's Sky, while being procedural, is not.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Habbaku

Yeah, I'm not seeing how FTL and Slay aren't roguelikes. They hit every marker, even the dungeon crawl aspect to some degree in FTL's case.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

crazy canuck

I guess this demonstrates part of the problem, the term has become one of those in the eye of the beholder type things.

Oexmelin

Eye of the Beholder definitely wasn't a roguelike.
Que le grand cric me croque !

celedhring

I missed all those deckbuilding mechanics when playing Rogue  :P

(well, my first roguelike was Angband)

Syt

At any rate, I find the questioning of ADOM as a roguelike (as debatable as the exact genre boundaries may be, as with any genre) quite funny, considering it's one of the earliest examples (1996) of a Rogue-like game (together with Angband, Nethack, or TOME), and that until recently it looked like this:

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Syt

Here's a video of the developer of ADOM talking about the upcoming sequel. https://youtu.be/ldOFUz3CY6E
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Syt on February 18, 2021, 08:50:12 AM
At any rate, I find the questioning of ADOM as a roguelike (as debatable as the exact genre boundaries may be, as with any genre) quite funny, considering it's one of the earliest examples (1996) of a Rogue-like game (together with Angband, Nethack, or TOME), and that until recently it looked like this:

I was bemoaning the fact they used the term roguelike.  Marketing normally is about setting your product apart, not announcing hey, we are just another roguelike game.  For example, before reading your post I had no idea this game had the history it does.  Something calling themselves roguelike obscures, since this game actually came first.

Jacob

I've been playing a bunch of Minecraft: Dungeons with my son, and now my wife too.

It's not a rogue-like. More of a Diablo-like.

Grey Fox

I also play Minecraft Dungeon with my son. He doesn't know what a roguelike is it what Diablo is.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.