News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Miscellaneous PC & vidya Games Thread

Started by Syt, June 26, 2012, 12:12:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Brain

The 40k game looks like a mod for Dawn of War (1).
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Syt

Valheim, a survival game set in Viking purgatory (Copenhagen?) seems to be pretty popular these days:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/892970/Valheim/

96% of reviews positive out of over 17,000.

QuoteA battle-slain warrior, the Valkyries have ferried your soul to Valheim, the tenth Norse world. Besieged by creatures of chaos and ancient enemies of the gods, you are the newest custodian of the primordial purgatory, tasked with slaying Odin's ancient rivals and bringing order to Valheim.

Your trials begin at the disarmingly peaceful centre of Valheim, but the gods reward the brave and glory awaits. Venture forth through imposing forests and snow-capped mountains, explore and harvest more valuable materials to craft deadlier weapons, sturdier armor, viking strongholds and outposts. Build a mighty longship and sail the great oceans in search of exotic lands ... but be wary of sailing too far...

Key features:
Huge procedurally-generated world - explore and inhabit mystical lands, from mysteriousforests to imposing snow-topped mountain ranges and stunning meadows, complete with their own creatures of legend to battle and wildlife to hunt.
Co-op PvE (2-10 players) - - Whether you want to brave the lands alone or venture with trusted allies, Valheim supports independent, player-hosted servers and unlimited world creation. We recommend playing co-op with 3-5 players.
Punishing dodge & block based combat system with a wide range of weapons
Build & sail ships - from flimsy rafts to imposing warships, build legendary vessels to conquer the seas and discover new lands.
Summon and defeat vengeful primordial bosses of myth and legend, and collect trophies to progress and craft new powerful items
Flexible house and base building system - raise mead halls, farms, settlements outposts, castles and more.
Intuitive item crafting - forge the finest weapons and armour, and craft food and mead.
Dedicated server- for players who want to run a persistent server. If you prefer not to run a server on your PC, consider renting a server at G-Portal.

Community-translated languages:
In addition to the officially supported languages, Valheim has several community-translated languages. As the name would suggest these are all translated by fans and members of the community, and is an ongoing process. We can't guarantee the quality nor completeness of any specific translation effort.

The following languages have been partially translated by the community:
Svenska
Italiano
Romanian
български
македонски
Suomi
Dansk
íslenska
Lietuvių kalba
čeština
Magyar nyelv
Português europeu
한국어 (불완전한)
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Valmy

Quote from: Syt on February 09, 2021, 12:52:28 PM
Anyone interested in a new Apple II RPG? :P

I kind of got my fix of that when they released the Bard's Tale trilogy on Steam a couple years back :P
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Josquius

I'm determined. I'll finally do it. I've had A-Train 9 for a while though completely failed to figure out how to play it. I must do this as it looks like my kind of game if I could just get through the crappy UI and complexity.
██████
██████
██████

Josquius

Well. I'm never going to play this game, and I'm doubtful on whether the voice aspect will work. But looks quite amazingly bizzare and horrifying.
"Militsioner", where you have to escape a skyscraper sized policeman in a small Russian town....

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/can-you-escape-a-town-watched-by-a-giant-policeman
██████
██████
██████

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

crazy canuck

I would like to petition game developers to stop using the term "Rogue Like"

Syt

Quote from: crazy canuck on February 17, 2021, 11:28:53 AM

Considering ADOM is a grand daddy of that genre  at 25+ years since it's ASCII inception (with graphics only added recently), I think it's quite appropriate in this case.
—Stephen Jay Gould

crazy canuck

Quote from: Syt on February 17, 2021, 11:39:51 AM
Quote from: crazy canuck on February 17, 2021, 11:28:53 AM

Considering ADOM is a grand daddy of that genre  at 25+ years since it's ASCII inception (with graphics only added recently), I think it's quite appropriate in this case.

Ok, but if they are the grand daddy, why describe their game as being like another game.

Syt

Because roguelike is an accepted genre by now until someone coins a better term? :P
—Stephen Jay Gould

celedhring

Barrister

Quote from: celedhring on February 17, 2021, 02:32:04 PM
I like procedural RPG myself.

But see I know exactly what a "roguelike" game is, and the term "Procedural RPG" means nothing to me.

I should note however that I remember playing the shit out of the original Rogue on a buddy's Compaq (the original ones, with the tiny screen that was somehow theoretically "compact") in the mid-80s so it has a fond association to me.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on February 17, 2021, 02:49:15 PM
Quote from: celedhring on February 17, 2021, 02:32:04 PM
I like procedural RPG myself.

But see I know exactly what a "roguelike" game is, and the term "Procedural RPG" means nothing to me.

I should note however that I remember playing the shit out of the original Rogue on a buddy's Compaq (the original ones, with the tiny screen that was somehow theoretically "compact") in the mid-80s so it has a fond association to me.

But do you?  There are so many games that say they are roguelike, that it is now very hard to know what that actually means.  It is much less a genre and much more an adjective these days.