The Miscellaneous PC & vidya Games Thread

Started by Syt, June 26, 2012, 12:12:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Tamas

Quote from: The Brain on November 14, 2020, 11:51:30 AM
Being a gamer must be horrible.

RPS has for a while been trying to be the woke voice of gaming. It has gone from a welcome voice to nauseating preaching and virtue signalling. They are the kind of folks for whom no Cyberpunk trailer can be inclusive enough to escape accusations of sexism.

garbon

Quote from: Tamas on November 14, 2020, 01:26:54 PM
Quote from: The Brain on November 14, 2020, 11:51:30 AM
Being a gamer must be horrible.

RPS has for a while been trying to be the woke voice of gaming. It has gone from a welcome voice to nauseating preaching and virtue signalling. They are the kind of folks for whom no Cyberpunk trailer can be inclusive enough to escape accusations of sexism.

That feels like a bizarre stance to take.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/cdpr-is-a-transphobic-company-its-time-we-stop-making-excuses-for-them.307474/
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Tamas

I haven't looked deeply into the issue but can't you, like, freely change the shape and attributes of your body in the CP game regardless of the gender you choose? Seems tough to be more gender-neutral than that.

Then again. I really do not wish to soak my gaming in politics so I admit never to have researched the details of the crucial world event of an upcoming PC game and its makers nuanced opinion on gender fluidity.

Syt

Quote from: Tamas on November 14, 2020, 03:32:59 PM
I haven't looked deeply into the issue but can't you, like, freely change the shape and attributes of your body in the CP game regardless of the gender you choose? Seems tough to be more gender-neutral than that.to soak my gaming in politics so I admit never to have researched the details of the crucial world event of an upcoming PC game and its makers nuanced opinion on gender fluidity.

From garbon's article:

QuoteAfter speaking heavily to how inclusive Cyberpunk 2077 would be, it's been confirmed that the character creator will tie the pronouns the game uses to refer to the character with, with the pitch of voice chosen. Meaning that if you choose a traditionally female body type but select a deeper voice, your character will be referred to as "he" or "him" in the game's dialogue. Voice pitch is a sensitive issue in the trans community and with transition as HRT has no bearing on your voice when transitioning as a trans woman, or toward transfeminine identities. As a direct result it becomes something that many trans people are conscious of when they attempt to pass, as it's an element that works against you when people frequently associate a deep voice to being a man, and a high voice to being a women. This in a very real sense is an issue of safety for trans people offline, as having a deeper voice while presenting femme can result in abuse. However it isn't an immediate black or white picture when it comes to how trans people feel about their voice outside of those issues. Your voice is as personal to you as anything else, and there are many trans people that would prefer to be able to feel comfortable using their real voice as opposed to putting in considerable effort toward changing it in the hope of better acceptance.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

garbon

I haven't looked deeply into the issue but can't you, like, freely change the shape and attributes of your body in the CP game regardless of the gender you choose? Seems tough to be more gender-neutral than that.

Then again. I really do not wish to soak my gaming in politics so I admit never to have researched the details of the crucial world event of an upcoming PC game and its makers nuanced opinion on gender fluidity.

The post I linked to was the most in depth I've seen on matters. Worth a look as complaints extend further than the character designer.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Tamas

Quote from: Syt on November 14, 2020, 03:45:23 PM
I haven't looked deeply into the issue but can't you, like, freely change the shape and attributes of your body in the CP game regardless of the gender you choose? Seems tough to be more gender-neutral than that.to soak my gaming in politics so I admit never to have researched the details of the crucial world event of an upcoming PC game and its makers nuanced opinion on gender fluidity.

From garbon's article:

QuoteAfter speaking heavily to how inclusive Cyberpunk 2077 would be, it's been confirmed that the character creator will tie the pronouns the game uses to refer to the character with, with the pitch of voice chosen. Meaning that if you choose a traditionally female body type but select a deeper voice, your character will be referred to as "he" or "him" in the game's dialogue. Voice pitch is a sensitive issue in the trans community and with transition as HRT has no bearing on your voice when transitioning as a trans woman, or toward transfeminine identities. As a direct result it becomes something that many trans people are conscious of when they attempt to pass, as it's an element that works against you when people frequently associate a deep voice to being a man, and a high voice to being a women. This in a very real sense is an issue of safety for trans people offline, as having a deeper voice while presenting femme can result in abuse. However it isn't an immediate black or white picture when it comes to how trans people feel about their voice outside of those issues. Your voice is as personal to you as anything else, and there are many trans people that would prefer to be able to feel comfortable using their real voice as opposed to putting in considerable effort toward changing it in the hope of better acceptance.

It seems that they could might as well just let players have voluptuous breasts and thundering deep voices, so it is a valid point.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Tamas on November 14, 2020, 04:22:57 PM
Quote from: Syt on November 14, 2020, 03:45:23 PM

From garbon's article:

It seems that they could might as well just let players have voluptuous breasts and thundering deep voices, so it is a valid point.

I think the point is that after marketing how inclusive it would be, the designers of the game actually just fell back on gender stereotypes. 

The thing I am told, and pass on to my clients, by our transgender consultants is that it is appreciated that you make an effort and mistakes will be understood (kind of like struggling with French in France) but once you start pretending you have expertise and get it wrong, that is where the problems occur. 

That makes perfect sense to me.

crazy canuck

Come to think about it, our Finnish friends probably have it a lot easier with the lack of pronouns indicating gender.

Is it the same in Hungarian?

Josquius

I just wish people would stop falling for the transphobes bait and giving them their culture war.
Just let trans people be and get on with life .
Trans people in sport is a valid debate.... In the context of people who like having nerdy discussions on the rules and regulations of sports. Funny how it always comes from quite a different direction.

Odd decision to tie gender to voice pitch. Seems it'd be a pretty basic 90s level character creator to have a gender toggle unconnected to everything else.
It seems they've decided in this future of body alterations voice alteration isn't a thing so that's how people judge gender?
██████
██████
██████

garbon

It is odd as even Sims 4 is more progressive on that.

Tamas

Quote from: crazy canuck on November 14, 2020, 05:47:33 PM
Come to think about it, our Finnish friends probably have it a lot easier with the lack of pronouns indicating gender.

Is it the same in Hungarian?

No pronouns in Hungarian either. which does make it easier not to accidentally offend someone by misjudging the gender they want for themselves, but of course it is far from being an automatic appliance of full tolerance.

Solmyr

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017