News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Miscellaneous PC & vidya Games Thread

Started by Syt, June 26, 2012, 12:12:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

QuoteIn the wake of this article's publication Starni Games has made a comment contesting the characterisation of their game within the review. If you would like to read their response you can do so on their Steam community page here.: https://steamcommunity.com/games/1200330/announcements/detail/2901963148048277119

Their statement on steam sounds so whiny.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valmy

Quote"Wargamer allows 'woke' SJW individuals to do their reviews"

Heh. 'Hitler was wrong' 'You over-politicized SJW woke extremist!!'

It kind of seems like the game itself was political with a pro-Halder agenda. Naturally I only tolerate pre-Vichy and DeGaulle French apologism in my WWII games.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

grumbler

I've always been a bit amused when people complain that actors or voice actors speaking English in place of the actual language spoken by their "real" (even if fictional) counterpart don't speak with an appropriate "accent."  Uh... they are not even speaking the "realistic" language, let alone accent.  The others around them (including the audience) would not perceive any accent at all if the dialogue was in the original language being spoken to native speakers of that language. 

Phony accents are phony.  Better no artificial accents at all.  Just let the actors speak.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

celedhring

Or, if they are villains, just have them speak with a British accent  :P

Valmy

Pretty sure all medieval people spoke with British accents. All German peasants had cockney accents up to some point in the 19th century.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Sheilbh

Quote from: celedhring on September 11, 2020, 11:50:44 AM
Or, if they are villains, just have them speak with a British accent  :P
As God, and the actors' union, intended :)

Mildly alarmed at the rise of Scandinavian actors who can do English accents :ph34r:

Interesting issue though.
Let's bomb Russia!

The Brain

Quote from: grumbler on September 11, 2020, 10:41:39 AM
I've always been a bit amused when people complain that actors or voice actors speaking English in place of the actual language spoken by their "real" (even if fictional) counterpart don't speak with an appropriate "accent."  Uh... they are not even speaking the "realistic" language, let alone accent.  The others around them (including the audience) would not perceive any accent at all if the dialogue was in the original language being spoken to native speakers of that language. 

Phony accents are phony.  Better no artificial accents at all.  Just let the actors speak.

But then how do you make a "ze Shermans are coming" joke about Germans facing US armor?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

PDH

If they want to show it is a foreign tongue they should just read their lines very loudly and slowly.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Solmyr

Quote from: Valmy on September 11, 2020, 08:07:42 AM
Quote"Wargamer allows 'woke' SJW individuals to do their reviews"

Heh. 'Hitler was wrong' 'You over-politicized SJW woke extremist!!'

It kind of seems like the game itself was political with a pro-Halder agenda. Naturally I only tolerate pre-Vichy and DeGaulle French apologism in my WWII games.

Ah, yes, the "our games are not political" crap from developers is quite common.

viper37

Quote from: Valmy on September 11, 2020, 08:07:42 AM
It kind of seems like the game itself was political with a pro-Halder agenda.

it seems to me that the game has multiple campaigns and each one puts you through the mind of a loyal servant of that faction.

Kinda like playing the Zergs in Starcraft.  Except this time, it's realistic, so infinately more touchy.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Syt

Seems EA is giving up on their plans of being a full fledged games store.

https://www.pcgamer.com/electronic-arts-is-renaming-origin-to-ea-desktop-app/

Origin will be renamed to EA Desktop App. :mellow:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Syt

I've been watching Hades closely, a roguelike action game (each run is randomized, but you unlock new skills and gear that you can use in future runs, and apparently it also has a decent story - it's by Supergiant games who made Bastion, Transistor and Pyre), which was in Early Access for two years.

It's now out, on sale (20% off till 24th September, €16.79 at the moment): https://store.steampowered.com/app/1145360/Hades/?curator_clanid=3584665

What I didn't know, though, was that they have their narrator read the patch notes on each major release, including this one. :lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=20&v=8x9dyya1ci0&feature=emb_logo&ab_channel=SupergiantGames
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

—Stephen Jay Gould

Tamas

Quote from: Syt on September 25, 2020, 04:47:10 AM
A positive review of Port Royale 2: https://www.strategygamer.com/reviews/port-royale-4/

:lol: Was that typo intentional? Because I failed to spot what's new with the game apart from the graphics.

Syt

Speaking of retro games, Macchiavelli is on GOG. I hope they'll also add Machiavelli II:

https://www.gog.com/game/machiavelli_the_prince
—Stephen Jay Gould