News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Miscellaneous PC & vidya Games Thread

Started by Syt, June 26, 2012, 12:12:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josquius

Quote from: The Brain on August 04, 2020, 03:09:46 PM
Did you play earlier Far Cry games? How does it compare? Is there a retarded oh-noes-I-got-taken-again thing going on?

Very much so.
And weird fantasy elements too.
But fun anyway.
██████
██████
██████

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

viper37

Quote from: The Brain on August 04, 2020, 03:09:46 PM
Did you play earlier Far Cry games? How does it compare? Is there a retarded oh-noes-I-got-taken-again thing going on?
I've played the first 3 ones.

I like the 1&3, but it was not as open as this, and they felt more linear.  It also did not came with that many options (you can hunt&fish for money, if you want to, and there are "stunt" missions where you repeat the exploits of a famous stuntman, like setting yourself on fire with an ATV riding down a slope, or using a plane to perform some stunts.

I would say it's the best of the series, albeit there are some minor, non game breaking glitches.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Razgovory

Wow, I thought the game was shit.

"Hey, you know that part in the movies where the bad guy captures the hero and gives a little speech?  Well, let's do that 9 times."

"What do you want the say?"

"Oh, nothing really.  Just what motivates them."

"What motivates them?""

"Nothing, we took that part out to make is less political"

"So they kidnap hero so they can say nothing?"

"Yes!  9 times!"
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

viper37

Quote from: Razgovory on August 04, 2020, 10:57:11 PM
Wow, I thought the game was shit.

"Hey, you know that part in the movies where the bad guy captures the hero and gives a little speech?  Well, let's do that 9 times."

"What do you want the say?"

"Oh, nothing really.  Just what motivates them."

"What motivates them?""

"Nothing, we took that part out to make is less political"

"So they kidnap hero so they can say nothing?"

"Yes!  9 times!"
Well, there are four bad guys.  And they are religious people, so their goal is to convert and conquer, not destroy.

The weak must be culled.  You have consitantly opposed their goals in every region, so you are certainly not weak.  Each one is trying to recruit you in his/her own way.  That's how I saw it, and I liked it.  But to each is own :)

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Razgovory

Sheilbh

Quote from: Razgovory on August 05, 2020, 06:03:21 PM
What is their religion?
Based on Viper's description, I would guess Unitarian. But I could be wrong.
Let's bomb Russia!

Razgovory

Quote from: Sheilbh on August 05, 2020, 06:25:22 PM
What is their religion?

It's never stated.  They are just an generic evil cult.  They are a safe and boring villain.  That wouldn't be so much of a problem if the game did not interrupt play on a regular basis so you can watch boring cut scenes where the villains try to demonstrate how evil they are.  There is also a Manchurian candidate type thing that the player will immediately figure out but have to play through several times till the big reveal that you foresaw six hours ago.  A video game doesn't need a good plot, but if you have boring plot don't keep telling us about it.  If the plot is that Donkey Kong kidnapped your girlfriend is now standing on top of a tower throwing barrels at you I don't want to spend an hour listening to Donkey Kong's soliloquy on how he became a barrel-wielding, inter-species sexual predator.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

viper37

What is their religion?
They are definately Christian (often singing Amazing Grace).  With a personality cult for their prophet, "Father", Joseph Seed.

So, Protestant, but their own specific denomination, "Eden's Gate".

viper37

Quote from: Razgovory on August 05, 2020, 07:14:16 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on August 05, 2020, 06:25:22 PM
What is their religion?

It's never stated.
They talk of God almighty, they talk of forgiveness, of test, and they sing Amazing Grace.  Does that look like Orthodox Jews to you? 

QuoteThey are just an generic evil cult.
Most cults are evil.

QuoteThey are a safe and boring villain.
Yeah, well, making them a specific, existing branch of christianity would have gotten them lawsuit, protests and boycotts, something a multi-national tries to avoid.

QuoteThat wouldn't be so much of a problem if the game did not interrupt play on a regular basis so you can watch boring cut scenes where the villains try to demonstrate how evil they are.
Personally, I liked them very much.  To each his own :)

QuoteThere is also a Manchurian candidate type thing that the player will immediately figure out but have to play through several times till the big reveal that you foresaw six hours ago.
I will grant you that point.

QuoteA video game doesn't need a good plot, but if you have boring plot don't keep telling us about it.  If the plot is that Donkey Kong kidnapped your girlfriend is now standing on top of a tower throwing barrels at you I don't want to spend an hour listening to Donkey Kong's soliloquy on how he became a barrel-wielding, inter-species sexual predator.
Donkey Kong did not kidnap your girlfriend and drugged her because he thought he was "saving" her, like a doomsday cult would do.

Razgovory

As Shelf mentioned, it could just as easily be Unitarians.  If they wanted to specify Christianity, they could have, but chose not too because they don't have a backbone.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: viper37 on August 06, 2020, 03:27:18 PM
Donkey Kong did not kidnap your girlfriend and drugged her because he thought he was "saving" her

Isn't that the plot of King Kong, presumably the inspiration for Donkey Kong?  Without the drugging of course.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

FunkMonk

Disco Elysium is a trip. I appreciate a game that implores my character that he should just fucking kill himself  :lol:

I first played this back when it got released. I died on the second day. I started playing it again recently and my second playthrough is completely different. Hopefully I don't die on the second day again.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.