News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Miscellaneous PC & vidya Games Thread

Started by Syt, June 26, 2012, 12:12:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grey Fox

A PS5 will be 600£, while the PS4 is ~250£?
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

garbon

Quote from: Grey Fox on July 15, 2020, 09:43:33 AM

Looking that price up just shows a leak in June that was noted to be an error?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Barrister

Middle kid Andrew had his 8th birthday a couple weeks ago.  He really didn't ask for anything in particular for a present, so I kind of winged it.  In amongst a few other things I got him a copy of Pokemon: Sword for the Switch.

It was either a terrible gift, or a fantastic one, as all three boys have been absolutely hooked ever since.

I've never played a Pokemon game in my life (other than fooling around with Pokemon Go when it first came out), but I've been playing it a bit once the boys go to bed.  It's well done for what it is.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

garbon

I bought Pokemon Shield over sword so I could have:

(:blush:)
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Grey Fox

Quote from: garbon on July 15, 2020, 11:03:36 AM

Looking that price up just shows a leak in June that was noted to be an error?

I might be a tad high in my estimate. Estimating £ is never easy to me.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Josquius

If buying new I don't see it being worth the savings to buy the older system.
Though the second hand market is a thought.
██████
██████
██████

Syt

Not really a game, but the first (free) version of Nuclear War Simulator is out.

http://nuclearwarsimulator.com/

QuoteAbout
The goal of this project is to build a realistic simulation and visualization of large-scale nuclear conflicts with a focus on humanitarian consequences. There are currently over 13000 nuclear weapons on this planet of which over 9000 are in military stockpiles. This software should help you answer the question: what will happen if Russia and United States or India and Pakistan use their arsenals?

There are a lot of interlocking systems and processes in a nuclear conflict: the command and control system, locations and movement of forces, weapons delivery systems and humanitarian consequences. By simulating the most relevant of these systems you should be able to tell a credible story about how nuclear conflicts play out and what are the consequences.
The simulation is developed in Unity and will be distributed as a stand-alone application.

Currently implemented features:
- visualise and calculate effects of nuclear weapons (thermal radiation, overpressure, fallout and mass fires) on a high-density population grid (similar to Alex Wellerstein's NUKEMAP)
- visualisation of overpressure, thermal radiation, radiation dose from fallout, areas affected by mass fires, population density and casualties density (prompt radiation is not considered)
- effects from hundreds to thousands of explosions can be calculated and visualised in seconds
- design and place nuclear forces to recreate current, past or future arsenals using an intuitive UI
- create attack plans and conflict scenarios and share them with others
- place yourself, your family and your friends inside the simulation and calculate the probability of your survival
- simulate the dynamics and timing of the conflict and effects of a first strike using a damage model based on CEP and overpressure
- simple production cost model: how many weapons can a country build if it wants to?

Some more details can be found in the screenshots-section. Technical details on the models and databases being used here will be added soon. Follow me on twitter to stay updated.

Work in progress

This simulation is not yet finished. Some aspects are not very accurate or missing entirely: ballistic missiles flight times are only approximate, nuclear winter model is not complete. Some models may have to be replaced completely in the future. Please let me know if you detect some severe inaccuracy. If you think you can use this simulation in one of your projects but some calculation or visualisation is missing please contact me and I will try to implement it.

Videos:

http://nuclearwarsimulator.com/videos/

Screenshots:

The last screenshot shows smoke from burning cities.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

The Brain

What kind of sick fuck would place people he knows in the simulator? I've seen Black Mirror.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Josquius

██████
██████
██████

Tonitrus

Will I be able to cut off the head of the Soviet chicken?

grumbler

Quote from: Tonitrus on July 15, 2020, 04:09:19 PM

More importantly, will you be able to play the Soviets and still get to take a dump without a plan?
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Syt

It has no AI. It's just a sandbox to play through scenarios of your own choosing, setting up assets and strike plans.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: Tonitrus on July 15, 2020, 04:09:19 PM

is that before or after it crossed the road?

FunkMonk

Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.