News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Miscellaneous PC & vidya Games Thread

Started by Syt, June 26, 2012, 12:12:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tamas

Its the Metal Gear Solid guy, right? I really enjoyed the last game of that series (first one I played) but I was REALLY uncomfortable with the couple of torture scenes, the one involving the barely-dresses female, especially.

Syt

Quote from: Tamas on July 14, 2020, 09:51:20 AM
Its the Metal Gear Solid guy, right? I really enjoyed the last game of that series (first one I played) but I was REALLY uncomfortable with the couple of torture scenes, the one involving the barely-dresses female, especially.

What are you referring to? :unsure: Hideo Kojima (= Mr MGS) was doing Death Stranding last.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Tamas

Quote from: Syt on July 14, 2020, 09:56:33 AM

What are you referring to? :unsure: Hideo Kojima (= Mr MGS) was doing Death Stranding last.

I refer to Metal Gear Solid 5, I think that was. In the story there is one sequence of cutscenes where your character and his team are torturing a disabled guy, and another one where they do the same to a scantily clad female.

EDIT:

Here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6HQdJrAJV2U

and here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0GLoKZg_p-w

Syt

Quote from: Tamas on July 14, 2020, 10:01:20 AM
Quote from: Syt on July 14, 2020, 09:56:33 AM

I refer to Metal Gear Solid 5, I think that was. In the story there is one sequence of cutscenes where your character and his team are torturing a disabled guy, and another one where they do the same to a scantily clad female.

No, which post were you referring to? There was no connection to MGS in the last page or 10. :P
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Tamas

Well they both begin with a K and sound Asian and that's all the attention I have given to either game :p

Syt

Quote from: Tamas on July 14, 2020, 12:41:11 PM
Well they both begin with a K and sound Asian and that's all the attention I have given to either game :p

But you are familiar with Akira Kurosawa, one of the most important and influential directors of the 20th century? :unsure:
—Stephen Jay Gould

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Syt on July 14, 2020, 12:51:30 PM
Quote from: Tamas on July 14, 2020, 12:41:11 PM

But you are familiar with Akira Kurosawa, one of the most important and influential directors of the 20th century? :unsure:

According to most Japanese, he was too westernized anyways.  :lol:

grumbler

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on July 14, 2020, 01:53:08 PM
According to most Japanese, he was too westernized anyways.  :lol:

They are just pissed that Kurosawa's Dreams didn't portray Japan in a good light. :P
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

celedhring

The main character has more than a passing resemblance to Toshiro Mifune, even. Heck, I might even get the game just for that (I used to get a kick of AssCreed games back when they were good, too).

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Syt on July 14, 2020, 09:37:28 AM

For final touches, the team added a film grain to make the mode appear as though it had just emerged from the age of Kurosawa, as well as an increased wind function. In Ghost of Tsushima, the wind serves as the player's navigational tool; Jin actually follows the wind to find his next destination. In the Kurosawa Mode, the wind is "cranked up," says Connell. "And lastly," he adds, "we actually toyed with the audio a little bit. Our audio team have an internal tool that mimicked sounds of old TV and, specifically, megaphones, radios, TVs back to the '50s." It all makes for a game with the feel of theatrical entertainment.

I approve of this nonsense in games. :) I still believe L.A. Noire was best played in black and white (it also made the combination of 3D environments and facial animations less jarring).

:nerd:

Depends on how it's done. As for the sound, Kurosawa movies such as the Seven Samurai Yojimbo, Sanjuro or the Hidden Fortress had Perspecta sound so not the common sound of old '50s TV.
To sum up, it's a directional sound system, with some kind of surround effect, while not true stereo but still noticeably better than good old '50s mono.
Modern HD video releases include some kind of surround mix to take that into account cf. Criterion plus.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perspecta

Josquius

Ghost of Tsushima does look great.
Sort of Way of the Samurai meets Witcher 3.
It seems to veer away from the American style of open world too and more towards the European style. Which is nice.

Plus its by the guys who made Infamous, which was a good series.
I may well buy a PS5 when it comes out to play it- seems a bit daft to buy a PS4 now.
██████
██████
██████