News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Miscellaneous PC & vidya Games Thread

Started by Syt, June 26, 2012, 12:12:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

A game I picked up in early access, but I feel a tad overwhelmed by its content, in a Dominions way. I think I will wait till it's fully released before giving it another try. I do like the heavy randomization, though (races, cultures, deities etc.).

https://store.steampowered.com/app/567080/Wizards_and_Warlords/

QuoteWizards and Warlords is a turn-based strategy game, where you play as a wizard in a randomly generated fantasy world, filled with rival wizards and warlords. Create a customized sovereign or choose from one of many predefined templates.

Blending grand strategy with aspects of the 4X genre, the game offers a plethora of settings and randomly generated cultures and races. It is up to you if you want to fight great wars, crushing powerful rivals in the pursuit of world conquest - the challenge of survival in a grim and dangerous world, perhaps even beset by planar invaders and ancient evils - or a balanced game, where you control but one of many realms in the world, immersing yourself in an emergent story driven by random events and the interactions of AI personalities.

Manage your cities and fortresses, increase your power through research and industry, design arcane constructs, recruit armies and heroes, explore and exploit dungeons and ruins, and experience random events and event chains. You can mod several aspects of the game and create your own world maps.

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

celedhring

Looks interesting. I'll add it to my "ugly and ambitious hex games" waitlist after I'm done with Shadow Empire.  :P

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Berkut

Quote from: Syt on June 12, 2020, 05:12:28 AM
Anyone played any of the Carrier Battles games?

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1163340/Carrier_Battles_4_Guadalcanal/

I think I tried them - this looks really interesting, but if it is a port of a game already implemented on iPad, why wouldn't I just play it on the iPad? Is there more to this?
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Tamas

Quote from: Berkut on June 12, 2020, 07:54:52 AM
Quote from: Syt on June 12, 2020, 05:12:28 AM
Anyone played any of the Carrier Battles games?

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1163340/Carrier_Battles_4_Guadalcanal/

I think I tried them - this looks really interesting, but if it is a port of a game already implemented on iPad, why wouldn't I just play it on the iPad? Is there more to this?

IIRC you can only play the Americans on the iPad, but I haven't actually tried either.

Syt

Demon's Souls remaster coming for PS5.

Trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-zPObTB5YYg

And comparison (as much as is possible for such a short trailer) with the PS3 original: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSc6zDINHlQ

Not gonna be enoughf or me to get a PS5, though. :P
—Stephen Jay Gould

celedhring

I unexpectedly got a Nintendo Switch from my brother. What games should I get?  :hmm:

Tbf I don't know how I will find the time to play Switch games, plenty of PC games in my backlog already. I guess I could play during my commutes, if I still had those  :lol:

Syt

Plenty of indie games. Breath of the Wild seems like an obvious choice. Or Animal Crossing for chilling out.

I don't have a Switch myself, but it seems a lot of people who have one play where they normally wouldn't, like in bed.
—Stephen Jay Gould

celedhring

I suppose there's gotta be some decent JRPGs in there, too.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Syt

Also, from what I hear from people with Switch, a lot of them play in situations where they normally wouldn't, or play on their phone/tablet.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Josquius

I've heard good things of a game called Astral Chain. And Octopath Traveller. And of course Pokemon.
I really want a Switch, but the rumours of a 2 screen version being imminent have me delayed on going for it.
██████
██████
██████

garbon

Seems like it would be rather cumbersome with two screens.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Syt

The guys who made the excellent Commandos-a-like Shadow Tactics: Blades of the Shogun have brought out Desperados 3, which seems to be quite good: https://www.pcgamer.com/desperados-3-review/

EDIT: it comes out 16th June, it isn't out yet.
—Stephen Jay Gould

11B4V

Last of Us 2 on 19 June

and

Ghost of Tsushima on 17 July

:yeah:
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".