News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Miscellaneous PC & vidya Games Thread

Started by Syt, June 26, 2012, 12:12:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

Mostly I want a proper modern remake of Patrician 2 Gold (or 3, if you're not from Germany :P ).
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Syt

There's not many games about ancient Greece, so I dug out Spartan by Slitherine again. It's ... ok, I guess? It feels relatively simplistic - build buildings in cities, gain resources through buildings or trade, build units, fight. Diplomacy is rudimentary, and battles are very much like in Dominion - you set up your army at the start of battle, give some basic orders (flank; wait then advance; seek enemy ...) and then sit back while the sprites duke it out (you can rally/retreat/charge, though). Turns are months, but on map there's no difference between December or June. There's a lot of clicking of "next turn" while you wait for buildings and units to build, or resources to pile up.

They tried to be somewhat accurate with the 5th century period flavor, at least. I kind of liked the predecessor, Chariots of War, a bit better. It had fewer convenience functions, but it covered an era oft neglected by grand strategy, i.e. the Bronze Age, with a map from Anatolia to Nubia and Elam.

I looked at Hegemony, but meh.

I hope Total Wars Saga: Troy will be fun (and that you can choose to play with or without superpowered heroes, like in Three Kingdoms). Their Thrones of Britannia game wasn't too bad.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

And yes, I know that there'll be the 550 - 330 BC expansion for Filed of Glory: Empires, but I feel the provinces in Greece are a bit too few to make playing there a lot of fun.

—Stephen Jay Gould

Tonitrus

Quote from: Tyr on May 01, 2020, 03:29:24 AM
Quote from: crazy canuck on April 30, 2020, 07:01:23 PM
Quote from: Tyr on April 30, 2020, 04:16:47 PM
Yeah. I tried the conquistador one. It just feels too outdated.

Well the conquistador one came out many years ago  ;)
2013. It was not so long after I tried it.
It feels like a relic of the 90s.

Seven Cities of Gold was ossum.  :mad:

celedhring

Quote from: Tyr on April 30, 2020, 04:16:47 PM
Yeah. I tried the conquistador one. It just feels too outdated.

I liked quite a bit, I thought the writing was pretty strong (once you got past stuff like the mordernized women roles). Only the combat felt repetitive after a while.

Never tried the viking one though.

frunk

I've been pretty addicted to KARDS lately.  Achievements generate quite a bit of free gold/cards/packs so it's not too hard to build up cards.  I threw in $5, but I don't think that's necessary.  The drafting is surprisingly rewarding and fun.  The cost of a draft almost breaks even compared to buying packs at 2 wins, and at a full 7 wins it pays for an equivalent of ~2 draft buy ins.  The drafting also has an interesting element where a common card will frequently come with dupes to make it easier to tailor into specific strategies.

At first I thought only having the 5 major powers would limit strategies, but adding up to 12 cards from another power really shakes things up.  The Italian and French minors are also quite wacky.

Syt

Having a fun run as Rome in Field of Glory Empires. I got a bit greedy in the Balkans, then gotdrawn into Hispania more than I intended (wanted to form the East Spanish province, but local powers kept interfering, so In the end I ended up owning 2/3 of the peninsula after rather costly fighting in shitty terrain. I had descended from a glorious to an old republic. When the Marcomanni declared war I just kicked their butt and demanded tribute without taking terirtory. That was in 166 BC. I was looking forward to finally consolidate again after about 60 or 70 years of ruthless expansion and getting that decadence down ... when Macedonia declares war (they own Greece + pretty much all of Asia Minor).

Thanks, game! :lol:
—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

Ok, I was trying to salvage this by transferring legions towards Macedonia, but it takes them years to get there from Hispania and Germania. While they're en route, two tiny barbarian nations DOW me. Oh, and Carthage who go to invade Sardinia, Sicily and attack in Hispania where little Emporia repulsed my armies in the Pyrenees. And I lost an Italian province to a slave uprising without any army nearby to put it down. :bleeding:

Also, I've now regressed to a decadent republic, only 50 years or so after being a glorious one.  :(

I still kind of tempted to try and salvage the situation, though.  :blush:
—Stephen Jay Gould

DGuller

Quote from: garbon on April 30, 2020, 09:30:20 AM
Quote from: DGuller on April 30, 2020, 09:28:01 AM
Any good threads on the redesign?  It's hard to find anything.

Key appear to be: https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/threads/upgraded-forum-feedback-thread.1387167

and in OT: https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/threads/this-is-hideous.1387170
Almost a month later, and it dawned on me that I'm not regularly checking the Paradox forums anymore.  Checked back in today, and yep, same unreadable shit.  I wonder how much traffic volume they lost to their forums.

Syt

—Stephen Jay Gould

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

DGuller

They knew how to make forum software back in the day.  :(

Syt

I also was a Victoria mod for a hot 5 minutes. :D

—Stephen Jay Gould

celedhring

Maladict

Quote from: Syt on May 20, 2020, 10:32:41 AM
I also was a Victoria mod for a hot 5 minutes. :D

No need for that snarky tone.