And we're back!

Main Menu

The Miscellaneous PC & vidya Games Thread

Started by Syt, June 26, 2012, 12:12:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FunkMonk

Quote from: crazy canuck on June 02, 2019, 03:09:17 PM
Quote from: FunkMonk on June 02, 2019, 11:05:13 AM
Been playing Total War 3 Kingdoms over the weekend and it's so good I'm losing track of time. I have to pull myself away from it and get, like, real life work done, but it's hard.  :lol:

CA did a fantastic job on the strategy layer, including diplomacy. I'm pretty happy I skipped Imperator and picked this up instead.

I bought the Viking themed one last year but wasn't that impressed with the strategic depth and while the battles looked great, after a while even that became a bit monotonous.  What makes this version different?

Having never played Britannia I can't speak to the differences.

In Three Kingdoms, I'm finding the provincial building much deeper than Warhammer. The diplomatic AI makes sensible decisions most of the time, and they feel like they have real personalities. The UI is both beautiful and functional and easy to use. I can look at something at a glance and know exactly what is means and I can click a single button and instantly bring up a nicely packaged overview of my characters, provinces, armies, or whatever.

Each faction has a different play style and circumstance, lending to replayability. In Romance mode, the battles play out in some melding together of Warhammer's hero-centrism and traditional Total War, and there's the Records mode if you want a completely traditional Total War experience.

I like how the campaign follows the Romance of the Three Kingdoms story, which lends a narrative to the very character-centric gameplay of the game as a whole.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Syt

Diablo 1 on GOG now includes the Hellfire expansion. If you already bought the game, it's added to your account automatically.

https://www.gog.com/game/diablo
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Tamas

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Syt

Early Access:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1058430/A_Legionarys_Life/

QuoteA Legionary's Life lets you play as a Roman soldier during the years of the Second Punic War and beyond. Rise up through the ranks and win prestigious awards or just focus on making it home in one piece; it's up to you.

This is a unique single-player game with RPG elements, extensive usage of attribute and skill checks, a turn-based combat system involving many variables (including morale, reach, confined space and high ground) and a touch of roguelike features. Among them, permadeath. If you are unfamiliar with the term, it means you'll have to start over if your character dies; but don't worry: the game is designed to be replayable and you'll see only a fraction of it in each run. Also, you'll be able to spend points on your next legionary based on how well your most successful characters performed.

Try the demo

This game is unlike most RPGs. Your character won't be successful at everything. Challenges should be picked carefully based on your legionary's strengths and weaknesses. In general, the game is not designed to put you in a situation where the odds are against you unless you willingly step into it. At times, you may fail to perform a task and take a mild penalty in Morale and/or Opinions (a measure of your relationships with relevant entities within the game, like your superiors and your fellow soldiers). Don't get discouraged when this happens, it is nothing more than a minor setback you can easily recover from. If you think the game is treating you unfairly in some situations, feel free to drop a line on the discussions forum. This is an Early Access version and may need rebalancing.

Most of all, I strongly recommend that you try the demo before you buy this game. It's here on Steam and it's free, there's no better way to make sure that A Legionary's Life suits your taste. The demo contains the first 3 parts out of 11 planned.

—Stephen Jay Gould

Josquius

So. On 3 kingdoms - have they fixed vassals?
Recently played shogun again and really annoys me how vassals will suddenly turn on you even though they should know they'll be crushed and have a good thing going at the moment.
██████
██████
██████

frunk

crazy canuck

Tamas

Quote from: Tyr on June 07, 2019, 05:16:15 PM
So. On 3 kingdoms - have they fixed vassals?
Recently played shogun again and really annoys me how vassals will suddenly turn on you even though they should know they'll be crushed and have a good thing going at the moment.

There's a beta patch that's supposed to trim back Yuan Shao's desires on that.

But, in my experience in the early mid-game there'll be a phase where a strong faction will vassalise several others.

However, even with Yuan Shao's massive vassal empires, it never really lasts. Sooner or later it will implode, at least partially.

crazy canuck

Quote from: crazy canuck on June 09, 2019, 07:04:16 AM
@Syt

Thanks, that looks interesting

It is an addictive game that helps one fight off jet lag.

celedhring

That Roman game looks really interesting. I think they missed a trick by not setting it during the Ist century BC though. You'd be fighting (and getting dragged to) civil wars besides fighting external enemies.

The Brain

Quote from: celedhring on June 10, 2019, 10:02:21 AM
That Roman game looks really interesting. I think they missed a trick by not setting it during the Ist century BC though. You'd be fighting (and getting dragged to) civil wars besides fighting external enemies.

And the Social Wars would be perfect for co-op play.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Tamas

Holy Effin' Shit, if Michael Gove does win and makes citizenship applications free, I know what I am spending my £1300 on instead: a new PC!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ReDDgFfWlS4

Maladict

Quote from: Tamas on June 10, 2019, 10:22:46 AM
Holy Effin' Shit, if Michael Gove does win and makes citizenship applications free, I know what I am spending my £1300 on instead: a new PC!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ReDDgFfWlS4

:mmm: