News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Miscellaneous PC & vidya Games Thread

Started by Syt, June 26, 2012, 12:12:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

crazy canuck

At the Gates, hard, a bit frustrating and loads of fun for a true strategy PC gamer geek.  :cool:

Tamas

Quote from: crazy canuck on January 25, 2019, 09:59:32 AM
At the Gates, hard, a bit frustrating and loads of fun for a true strategy PC gamer geek.  :cool:

I've read AI is coming in a few months!

Caliga

LOL can I be: Syagrius
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

KRonn

I played the original Tropico game when it first came out, but hadn't played any of the Tropico games for a long time. So this weekend I got Tropico 4 from Steam. I'm enjoying it, and in a little while, I will probably buy Tropico 6 which came out recently. Fun games.  :)

mongers

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

KRonn

Quote from: mongers on January 26, 2019, 10:24:06 PM
Civilization Call to Power 2. :gasp:

Oh wow, one of the oldie Civs! The second game in the series, I think. Great games and really breakthrough games for the genre, huge scope, builders and war games and so much fun. Definitely gave me many all nighters or late night games.

mongers

Quote from: KRonn on January 26, 2019, 10:28:46 PM
Quote from: mongers on January 26, 2019, 10:24:06 PM
Civilization Call to Power 2. :gasp:

Oh wow, one of the oldie Civs! The second game in the series, I think. Great games and really breakthrough games for the genre, huge scope, builders and war games and so much fun. Definitely gave me many all nighters or late night games.

I found a disc, though it appears to be on steam and gog.com.

First time I've ever played it, certainly rather different game mechanics and concepts from the mainstream civ games.

That's a slaver unit, no idea what to do with it.  :hmm:

Syt

I couldn't warm up to CtP2 the same way I did to CtP1. CtP1 had a lot of amazing concepts:
- state budgets to finance research, treasury, production, and public works
- public works budget: a pool of money to build tile improvements (instead of the clunky builder system)
- non-military units: slavers, abolitionists, televangelists, lawyers, bioterrorists ...
- making army stack composition matter by having ranged, flanking, and melee units (until you get to tanks, which count in each category) - combat resolved in phases in a special "battle screen"
- fictional history until 3,000 AD with lots of utopian/dystopian tech (loved the AI Pyramid)
- underwater cities and orbital stations
- global warming that would raise the sea levels (I would rush underwater city tech, then pollute like crazy to flood enemy coasts while my cities turned to underwater colonies)
- trade routes for special resources that could be raided

The game was badly balanced but a lot of fun. However, CtP1 and Alpha Centauri were launched within 2 months of each other, and it was completely eclipsed by the latter (which is the better game, tbh). I wished that the Civ series had stolen more of the ideas, though. For CtP2 they scaled back a lot of the ideas.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

Started playing Yakuza 0 yesterday. Having a lot of fun with it. The tone is weird, with the hard boiled Yakuza gangster story alternating with (very) silly side quests.

Mini games tried so far:
- Mahjong
- Outrun
- Space Harrier
- those machines where you use a mechanical arm to grab a prize
- baseball batting
- bowling
- pool
- darts
- karaoke
- disco dancing

And that's like maybe half of them?
—Stephen Jay Gould

crazy canuck

Quote from: Tamas on January 25, 2019, 10:09:14 AM

I've read AI is coming in a few months!

I think some players are disappointed because they think they are getting another version of Civilization.  But it is not that at all.  It is a fairly complex resource/supply chain management economic game.  The player is not really competing against the AI because the AI factions are not trying to achieve the end victory goals the player has.  I enjoy the game for what it is but readily admit it is not for everyone.  If a Civ type game is what a player wants, they should definitely buy Civ and not this game.

Razgovory

Quote from: Syt on January 27, 2019, 04:06:02 AM
Started playing Yakuza 0 yesterday. Having a lot of fun with it. The tone is weird, with the hard boiled Yakuza gangster story alternating with (very) silly side quests.

Mini games tried so far:
- Mahjong
- Outrun
- Space Harrier
- those machines where you use a mechanical arm to grab a prize
- baseball batting
- bowling
- pool
- darts
- karaoke
- disco dancing

And that's like maybe half of them?

I've always found it weird that some games seem to be trying to get you to play some other game.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

mongers

Quote from: Syt on January 27, 2019, 04:01:31 AM
I couldn't warm up to CtP2 the same way I did to CtP1. CtP1 had a lot of amazing concepts:
- state budgets to finance research, treasury, production, and public works
- public works budget: a pool of money to build tile improvements (instead of the clunky builder system)
- non-military units: slavers, abolitionists, televangelists, lawyers, bioterrorists ...
- making army stack composition matter by having ranged, flanking, and melee units (until you get to tanks, which count in each category) - combat resolved in phases in a special "battle screen"
- fictional history until 3,000 AD with lots of utopian/dystopian tech (loved the AI Pyramid)
- underwater cities and orbital stations
- global warming that would raise the sea levels (I would rush underwater city tech, then pollute like crazy to flood enemy coasts while my cities turned to underwater colonies)
- trade routes for special resources that could be raided

The game was badly balanced but a lot of fun. However, CtP1 and Alpha Centauri were launched within 2 months of each other, and it was completely eclipsed by the latter (which is the better game, tbh). I wished that the Civ series had stolen more of the ideas, though. For CtP2 they scaled back a lot of the ideas.

Thanks for the review Syt. :cheers:

Just started it so fun discovering some of those concepts that are either still in it or were put back in via the Apothyon community mod, which seems to be quiet an improvement from vanila.