News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Miscellaneous PC & vidya Games Thread

Started by Syt, June 26, 2012, 12:12:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

Really looking forward to Sundered, from the makers of Jotun: https://www.gog.com/game/sundered

QuoteAbout: Pre-order now and you will receive the soundtrack for FREE! The soundtrack will be made available upon release.

Sundered is a horrifying fight for survival and sanity, a hand­-drawn epic from the ​creators of ​​Jotun. You play Eshe, a wanderer in a ruined world, trapped in ever­changing caverns teeming with eldritch horrors. Harness the power of corrupted relics to defeat gigantic bosses, at the cost of your humanity. Resist or embrace.
- Beautiful hand­-drawn art
- Massive boss fights
- Dynamic encounters against hordes of enemies
- A mix of hand-crafted & procedural levels
- Corruptible abilities
- Multiple endings
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Razgovory

Played a little bit of Battlefield 1.  10 Hour free trial.  Played a little bit of the campaign, then got dumped into to Multiplayer.  Never got a good grasp at Multiplayer.  Liked the Single player aspect though.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Josquius

Anyone played Northgard?
Shows signs of being close to my dream viking exploration / strategy / rpg
██████
██████
██████

Josquius

Pillars of Eternity is indeed quite good :godlike:

Though starting this and steam completely losing my install pretty much ensures I'll never finish grim dawn. And skyrim... Well that's gone. I learned my lesson, don't dabble in mods and side quests.
██████
██████
██████

Syt

So, Mordor - Shadow of War. Got some hype, and previews looked fine. I wasn't particularly interested, because the predecessor was too grindy for me.

Anyways, the last few days have been ... interesting:

- Shelob will show up, but mostly as sexy female. Stupid pandering, but, uhm, well, whatever.

- Microtransactions:

http://www.pcgamer.com/middle-earth-shadow-of-war-will-have-microtransactions-tied-to-its-nemesis-system/

Quote"An important aspect of the Nemesis System now comes in forging, customizing and leading your own army of unique Orc followers against the fortresses of Mordor," the announcement reads. "There are different ways to do this, including dominating Orcs by exploring the vast open-world and encountering them as part of Orc society, or players can acquire Orcs and other items through the Market (in-game store)."

Uhm .... microtransactions in a single player game? And ones that promise faster progression by skipping grind? How likely is it that the gameplay will skew heavily towards grind to entice players shelling out extra cash?

- Wait, it has competitive multiplayer!

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-08-07-shadow-of-war-has-a-ranked-online-mode

QuoteMiddle-earth: Shadow of War players will have two ways to invade other people's Mordors when the game launches this year. The first of these is a new mission type called Social Conquest; the other sees the return of Vendettas from Shadow of Mordor with one or two tweaks.

In Social Conquest players can set up a captured fortress however they choose, installing an overlord and a series of captains from their existing follower base. They will also be able to purchase upgrades for their defending army before sharing that fortress online. After that other players will be free to assault the fortress using their own army, loading into the defending player's instance of Mordor and launching an attack.

During the assault, the attacking player will be free to kill or brand the defending player's forces, though it's worth noting that any branded troops (including captains) will not be carried over when the attacking player returns to their instance of Mordor.

There are two different ways to take on a fortress in Social Conquest: Friendly conquests allow players to mount an assault without risk to their followers. In ranked mode, players will earn a better assault rating with each successful conquest, with that rating dropping in the event of a failed attempt. Vitally, ranked mode is also different in that the attacking player's followers are at risk - if a captain dies during an assault, it's dead for real. Think of it like dying in the matrix, only for orcs.

Happily, the rewards for successfully attacking a base are plentiful. Capturing a fortress will reward the player with a conquest loot chest and some spoils of war - points that are accumulated in order to earn spoils of war chests. These chests contain followers and other goodies, allowing players to get stronger before returning to the Mordor from whence they came.

On top of Social Conquest, Vendettas make a return for Shadow of war. If you played Shadow of Mordor, you may remember these were opportunities to avenge the death of one of your friends by summoning the orc that killed them and fighting to the death. The scale of these missions has increased for Shadow of War, making them very similar to the war chief confrontation missions from Shadow of Mordor. Whereas before a Vendetta was simply a matter of finding the target and killing them, players must now draw out their quarry by completing an objective; one usually involving mass murder and / or explosions.

Successfully completing a Vendetta mission not only earns you a Vendetta loot chest; the player you avenged gets a notification and some spoils of war, allowing them to profit from the endeavour. As with Social Conquests, players will need to travel to a different instance of Mordor in order to attempt the mission, although Vendettas differ in that you won't get to try again should you die.

So, you can buy captains in loot boxes which would give you an edge in multiplayer, AND you can lose them in multiplayer, creating a potential drain for the game that makes you either grind more or buy more lootboxes.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

11B4V

Hooked the extra PC to the flat screen. Loaded up FO3 with mods. Took some tweeking with win10.

Hmmm, Combat Mission BB & AK on a big flat screen tv. :D
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Drakken

Bought Battlefront's Strategic Command WW2: War in Europe as it was on Steam. Started to weave through the essential manuals, but it'll take a while.

Now if they ever release World War 1 on Steam, instant buy.  :blush:

Tamas

Quote from: Drakken on August 12, 2017, 06:18:18 PM
Bought Battlefront's Strategic Command WW2: War in Europe as it was on Steam. Started to weave through the essential manuals, but it'll take a while.

Now if they ever release World War 1 on Steam, instant buy.  :blush:

It's a Matrix game, dude.

Drakken

Quote from: Tamas on August 13, 2017, 02:16:42 AM

I thought it was from the same developer, but published by Matrix?  :hmm:

Tamas

Quote from: Drakken on August 13, 2017, 02:24:00 AM
Quote from: Tamas on August 13, 2017, 02:16:42 AM

I thought it was from the same developer, but published by Matrix?  :hmm:

Yes. Battlefront was the publisher of the previous games. They were never the developers.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Syt

—Stephen Jay Gould

Drakken

Quote from: Tamas on August 13, 2017, 02:29:24 AM
Yes. Battlefront was the publisher of the previous games. They were never the developers.

You seem itchin' for a fight. PBEM over this European theater? ;)

Tamas

Quote from: Drakken on August 14, 2017, 10:15:35 AM
Quote from: Tamas on August 13, 2017, 02:29:24 AM

You seem itchin' for a fight. PBEM over this European theater? ;)

That would be fun but I don't think I'd have the time.

CountDeMoney