News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Miscellaneous PC & vidya Games Thread

Started by Syt, June 26, 2012, 12:12:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

frunk

Quote from: crazy canuck on March 28, 2017, 09:35:08 AM

Grim Dawn is about the synergies created by selecting the two classes.  There are multiple ways that can be done.  You are right that Diablo 3 is very different - that game is pretty mindless.  Just pick a skill and you are done.  With Grim Dawn the game is designed to allow you to respec easily to take advantage of better synergies and equipment bonuses as you level.  After a while you start getting equipment that will tempt you to respec to take advantage of the skills inherent in the equipment.

Also, the game is designed to use multiple skills.  If you were just using two then you were definitely missing out on the full potential of the character you were playing.

I use more than one skill, but only two attacks.  The rest of the skills are support to improve damage or survivability.  As best I can tell the skill tree encourages continuing to push that narrow focus to maximize effect, and I haven't really seen a reason to respec into a different attack.

FunkMonk

Quote from: Razgovory on March 27, 2017, 11:27:35 PM
Anyone try Battle Brothers?

It's pretty good if you want a turn-based tactical combat game with a Free Company-theme set in a low-fantasy universe. It's actually pretty difficult until you scavenge up some decent gear. Your men will die. A lot.

I haven't tried it since they patched in the end-game troubles like Orc invasions.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

crazy canuck

Quote from: frunk on March 28, 2017, 10:24:50 AM
Quote from: crazy canuck on March 28, 2017, 09:35:08 AM

Grim Dawn is about the synergies created by selecting the two classes.  There are multiple ways that can be done.  You are right that Diablo 3 is very different - that game is pretty mindless.  Just pick a skill and you are done.  With Grim Dawn the game is designed to allow you to respec easily to take advantage of better synergies and equipment bonuses as you level.  After a while you start getting equipment that will tempt you to respec to take advantage of the skills inherent in the equipment.

Also, the game is designed to use multiple skills.  If you were just using two then you were definitely missing out on the full potential of the character you were playing.

I use more than one skill, but only two attacks.  The rest of the skills are support to improve damage or survivability.  As best I can tell the skill tree encourages continuing to push that narrow focus to maximize effect, and I haven't really seen a reason to respec into a different attack.

Yeah, but that is what I am talking about.  The game is really designed to use multiple attack skills which stack and enhance the effects of eachother.  It is possible to get by with only two but I am not sure why you want to limit yourself in that way.  The mob resistances become such that it would be hard to progress if you were only using two attacks.  It is possible to do it, but I am not sure why you would.   The downside is that the game can become a bit frenzied and situational awareness can become important as you figure out what attacks work best against which mobs and so if you really only want to use a few skills over and over Diablo is probably the better choice.

frunk

Quote from: crazy canuck on March 28, 2017, 06:55:28 PM
Yeah, but that is what I am talking about.  The game is really designed to use multiple attack skills which stack and enhance the effects of eachother.  It is possible to get by with only two but I am not sure why you want to limit yourself in that way.  The mob resistances become such that it would be hard to progress if you were only using two attacks.  It is possible to do it, but I am not sure why you would.   The downside is that the game can become a bit frenzied and situational awareness can become important as you figure out what attacks work best against which mobs and so if you really only want to use a few skills over and over Diablo is probably the better choice.

Maybe that happens near endgame, but I haven't had any problem so far clearing out areas and taking on bosses with just two.  Considering I can still enhance those two, I don't know why I would waste time weakening them by spreading the points around.

So far it has been much simpler than Diablo.

Razgovory

Played through an Indie game called Kona, which takes place in Canada in 1970.  Starts off okay, but feels like it ends halfway through.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Syt

Planescape enhanced edition coming. I never finished this game.

https://www.gog.com/game/planescape_torment_enhanced_edition

QuoteAbout: The original Planescape: Torment was released in 1999 to widespread critical acclaim. It won RPG of the Year from multiple outlets for its unconventional story, characters, and amazing soundtrack. Since then, millions of Planescape: Torment fans have enjoyed exploring the strange and dangerous city of Sigil and surrounding planes through the Nameless One's eyes.

Discover an incredibly rich story and a setting unlike anything else in fantasy. Defeat strange and alien creatures, engage in rich dialogue, and explore the dark and dangerous Planescape setting in this 50+ hour RPG classic.

This is Planescape: Torment like you've never seen before."What can change the nature of a man?" - You are the Nameless One, a hulking figure covered in scars and tattoos collected over the course of countless lives—none of which you can remember, but are now coming back to haunt you. You are prodded awake by Morte, a floating skull and keeper of secrets, to embark on an adventure taking The Nameless One from the dirty streets of Sigil into the mysterious Outer Planes and even into the depths of Hell itself.

Portals riddle the planar metropolis of Sigil, providing access to anywhere in existence, but only if you have the proper key. Known as the "City of Doors," Sigil is a neutral ground where demons, devas, and races from across the multiverse gather under the watchful shadow of the Lady of Pain, the city's enigmatic ruler. This is a place where the word is mightier than the sword, where thought defines reality, and belief has the power to reshape worlds.

In your search for answers, you'll find companions matching the bizarre nature of the planes: a chaste succubus who can kill with a kiss, a confused crossbow-wielding cube, a suit of armor animated by a spirit demanding JUSTICE, and more. With these companions and others at The Nameless One's side, you will explore worlds in search of answers, all to discover that some destinies cannot be escaped and some memories cost more than an even an immortal can bear.

- Enhanced Planescape: Chris Avellone, Lead Designer on Planescape Torment, has partnered with Beamdog to curate gameplay updates, bug fixes, and enhancements to best capture his original vision for the game.

- The Planes Await: Planescape is a setting you've never experienced before, filled with strange magics, bizarre adversaries, and Dungeons & Dragons locations from across the multiverse.

- Conversations to Remember: Encounter personable items, philosophic undead, and rat hiveminds while walking the planes with the strangest collection of allies ever seen in an RPG.

- Pick Your Path: Character creation is just the beginning. The Nameless One can change his class, alignment, and even gain new abilities based on your choices.

- Remastered Music: The full Planescape: Torment soundtrack has been remastered in-game to add more depth to Sigil and the multiverse.

- 4K Interface: Sigil has never looked this good! The interface of Planescape: Torment has been rebuilt in high definition with tons of new convenience features.

- A Planescape For Today: The Enhanced Edition includes modern features such as tab highlighting, area zooming, combat log, quickloot, and more!

- Play It Your Way: Enable Enhanced Edition features as you desire or turn them off to experience Planescape: Torment in its original glory.

- Cast Comprehend Languages: Planescape: Torment: Enhanced Edition is available in English, French, Polish, German, and Korean. Note: Korean translations are text only with voice-overs played in English.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Habbaku

I might buy it if it goes on sale and if I find myself with the time to play it.  It was one of the best RPGs of its day, after all.

Otherwise, meh.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Barrister

Quote from: FunkMonk on March 22, 2017, 07:58:43 AM
Quote from: Barrister on March 21, 2017, 11:42:52 PM
Okay Funk... I bought Stardew Valley.  It does have a very relaxing vibe to it at the end of a busy day. :)

It really does lighten my mood up after work. The soundtrack is good and the cutscenes are really cute as well.

My advice is to do whatever you want in the game at your own pace without regard for timing and just chill out while you plant your parsnips :cool:

Surprisingly I'm still playing.

Game does get more involved as you go along.  In order to advance certain quests it's not enough to just plant simple crops - now you have to make various items out of the crops you grow (e.g. I'm growing hops to make beer, but I need to build a brewing-thingy so I'm busy mining in order to get copper).  BUt still every day starts with waking up, watering my crops, then deciding what else I have time to do that day.

When I realistically have about an hour to game before going to bed it's somehow satisfying.  I mean I wish I had time to dig into a 100+ hr RPG, but the couple times I've tried I just don't have the time for it.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Grey Fox

Quote from: Barrister on March 29, 2017, 12:30:54 PM
When I realistically have about an hour to game before going to bed it's somehow satisfying.  I mean I wish I had time to dig into a 100+ hr RPG, but the couple times I've tried I just don't have the time for it.

This as been a problem for me for a number of years but this Christmas I think I finally found the solution to it.

I bought a Xbone & Forza Horizon 3. Now I race cars for an hour or 2 and I am satisfied.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

frunk

I was quite enjoying Grim Dawn last night, and ready to post how much I liked exploring the world and not having Magic Find.  Then I hit a quest I couldn't finish.  Completely blocked after running 3 levels of a dungeon with no indication of how to fix the problem other than reference to an item I didn't have.  I fired up the wiki, and it turned out I needed to complete another quest given by an NPC I'd never met (and most likely wouldn't of found).  So I run that quest which includes going 2 levels deep in another dungeon, then go back (walking down through 3 levels again) and use the item.  I get to the boss fight and die.  It turns out I need to craft the item again to gain access.  By this point I'd played an hour or so longer than I wanted so I stopped.

The Brain

Quote from: frunk on March 30, 2017, 09:24:48 AM
I was quite enjoying Grim Dawn last night, and ready to post how much I liked exploring the world and not having Magic Find.  Then I hit a quest I couldn't finish.  Completely blocked after running 3 levels of a dungeon with no indication of how to fix the problem other than reference to an item I didn't have.  I fired up the wiki, and it turned out I needed to complete another quest given by an NPC I'd never met (and most likely wouldn't of found).  So I run that quest which includes going 2 levels deep in another dungeon, then go back (walking down through 3 levels again) and use the item.  I get to the boss fight and die.  It turns out I need to craft the item again to gain access.  By this point I'd played an hour or so longer than I wanted so I stopped.

Where was this?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

frunk

The Brain

Thanks. Managed to avoid the problem in my many runs. :)

I have 482 hours in the game.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

frunk

Quote from: The Brain on March 30, 2017, 10:24:19 AM
Thanks. Managed to avoid the problem in my many runs. :)

I have 482 hours in the game.

It's certainly not a mistake I'll repeat, as I know the ordering now.  In some sense it ties into what I like about the game, encouraging you to explore rather than race through taking the shortest path.  I just wish there would have been some indication in game on what to do, other than wandering around randomly or looking it up in the wiki.

Syt

I've gone through my games catalogue and compiled a "to do" list of games I actually want to play/finish out of all the guff that has accumulated over the years.

Well, I'm down to 250-300 titles out of 1000+. A lot of them RPGs. :hmm:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.