News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Miscellaneous PC & vidya Games Thread

Started by Syt, June 26, 2012, 12:12:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mongers

Quote from: Syt on November 29, 2016, 08:51:59 AM
Been playing a bit of Jedi Academy again for nostalgia's sake. I've always assumed that the designers were inspired by Iron Maiden for Marka Ragnos's Tomb and the Sith Lord's look himself.

Just notice a game on Steam, I think called 'Brutal Legends' that'll get when I get home, it has in it Jack Black, Lemmy, Ozzy Osbourne and Rod Halfin (?sp) . And has a crude but quite Heavy metal vibe to the gameworld.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

garbon

Quote from: mongers on November 29, 2016, 09:25:07 AM
Just notice a game on Steam, I think called 'Brutal Legends' that'll get when I get home, it has in it Jack Black, Lemmy, Ozzy Osbourne and Rod Halfin (?sp) . And has a crude but quite Heavy metal vibe to the gameworld.

You are taking me back to when I was living in SF after graduating college. :D
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

mongers

Quote from: garbon on November 29, 2016, 09:49:37 AM

You are taking me back to when I was living in SF after graduating college. :D

Glad I could be of service. :hug:

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Syt

The game is very much a love letter to heavy metal, and the game's soundtrack is one of the greatest "best of" soundtracks in games: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Br%C3%BCtal_Legend#Soundtrack
It oozes atmosphere, and it has an amazing cast.

BUT.

The gameplay is a bit of a mess between open world driving (ok), 3rd person hack and slash (ok), and a strong focus on really annoying real time battles (stage battles, I believe they're called) that you control with your 3rd person character.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

celedhring

Quote from: garbon on November 29, 2016, 07:50:39 AM
I think DA:O is best followed by DA:I. DA2, I suppose has a more interesting story than DA:I but the gameplay itself felt too constrained, you were too hemmed in.

Yeah, I enjoyed what DA2 wanted to be, story-wise. I just didn't enjoy actually playing it.

Can't comment on DA:I's story yet. Although so far it's cookie-cutter "Build support and allies to face world-threatening danger" Bioware cliché.

Valmy

Quote from: celedhring on November 29, 2016, 10:41:40 AM

Yeah, I enjoyed what DA2 wanted to be, story-wise. I just didn't enjoy actually playing it.

My experience was completely opposite. I thought it had serious problems storywise but I loved the gameplay.

QuoteCan't comment on DA:I's story yet. Although so far it's cookie-cutter "Build support and allies to face world-threatening danger" Bioware cliché.

It isn't (well ok it isn't entire NOT that but it is not like DA:O in that sense). It would be better if it was though.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

viper37

I think DA:O is best followed by DA:I. DA2, I suppose has a more interesting story than DA:I but the gameplay itself felt too constrained, you were too hemmed in.

Can't comment on DA:I's story yet. Although so far it's cookie-cutter "Build support and allies to face world-threatening danger" Bioware cliché.
I enjoyed the game, but there's a lot of sillyness in the story, at times.
And there's always the fact that you are out gathering herbs or rescueing someone's goat while there is impending doom on the world.
And when the final battle comes, you are alone with your team.  Allies are nowhere to be seen.  You rescued&helped a group of people, but it doesn't matter whom you helped, or even if you helped them at all.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Valmy

Quote from: viper37 on November 29, 2016, 11:37:02 AM

And there's always the fact that you are out gathering herbs or rescueing someone's goat while there is impending doom on the world.
And when the final battle comes, you are alone with your team.  Allies are nowhere to be seen.  You rescued&helped a group of people, but it doesn't matter whom you helped, or even if you helped them at all.

Oh and that does not even scratch the surface :lol:

It is best not to think about it too much.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

garbon

Quote from: Valmy on November 29, 2016, 11:38:38 AM
Quote from: viper37 on November 29, 2016, 11:37:02 AM

Oh and that does not even scratch the surface :lol:

It is best not to think about it too much.

Of course that's a big problem with a lot of these type games. Okay sure, I'll go hunt down your missing cat while the world burns.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valmy

Quote from: garbon on November 29, 2016, 12:02:40 PM
Of course that's a big problem with a lot of these type games. Okay sure, I'll go hunt down your missing cat while the world burns.

It usually works out alright since you are normally just some rando. In DA:I it is hilarious absurd.

celedhring

My favorite instance of that was in Batman: Arkham City (which is a great game), where Batman gets poisoned, and instead of following the quest chain that ultimately gives you the antidote, you can just waste hours doing senseless sidequests.

garbon

Quote from: Valmy on November 29, 2016, 12:11:12 PM

It usually works out alright since you are normally just some rando. In DA:I it is hilarious absurd.

True, though still fairly absurd in many games as often you eventually become 'the hero' that people know and yet you still have to do silly crap.

Valmy

Anyway play the game until you are done (either because you won it or because you got sick of it) then go over to my AAR thread and tell me what you thought.

Link: http://languish.org/forums/index.php/topic,12726.0.html

celedhring

Quote from: Valmy on November 29, 2016, 12:56:28 PM
Anyway play the game until you are done (either because you won it or because you got sick of it) then go over to my AAR thread and tell me what you thought.

Sure, I have avoided it so far because of spoilers, but I loved your other DA aars.

Scipio

I loved DA:I. Not as good as ME 3, which is still the best of the BioWare games, IMHO.

Looking forward to Andromeda.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt