News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

World Bank: Unions Good for the Economy

Started by Jacob, June 21, 2012, 11:27:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Iormlund

Over here the State sets minimum quotas during public strikes, depending on how critical services provided are.

sbr

Quote from: Iormlund on June 22, 2012, 06:29:54 PM
Over here the State sets minimum quotas during public strikes, depending on how critical services provided are.

Isn't one third of your workforce on strike at any given time?

DGuller

Quote from: sbr on June 22, 2012, 07:03:22 PM

The proper term is "unemployed".

Sheilbh

Quote from: derspiess on June 22, 2012, 01:12:35 PM
But believe it or not, I am not *that* anti-union, at least not in the sense that I want private sector unions outlawed or otherwise forcibly done away with.  Although I think they're less relevant today, private sector unions do still have a reason to exist.  They're bad when they grow too powerful, but on balance I'd rather have them around.
I disagree.  I think a large part of why the benefits available too and real earnings earnings of workers have not grown a great deal is the weakness of private sector unions.  It's been reinforced by the rise of the service sector which is, I think, more difficult to unionise - but in my view lots of those jobs, unlike manufacturing, can't be off-shored so legislative protection may be needed.

Also I think the problem in the UK is that our industrial relations culture has always been one of confrontation.  I think if there was the sort of cooperation between social partners that you see in, say, Germany then I think everyone would really miss the unions.  Interestingly Ed Miliband is now talking up Rhineland capitalism and the government apparently are very interested too.  The situation of the culture and history of industrial relations may be different in the US, of course,
Let's bomb Russia!

Ideologue

Individuals joining together to sell their services as a corporate entity?  Good.

But individuals joining together to sell their services as a corporate entity?  Bad.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

The Brain

1. Serve the public trust.
2. Protect the innocent.
3. Uphold the law.
4. [Classified]

I don't see bitching about the paycheck or going on strike in there. Funny.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Gaius Marius

Quote from: CountDeMoney on June 22, 2012, 05:45:06 PM
Quote from: MadImmortalMan on June 22, 2012, 05:41:32 PM
Firefighters can't strike while the city burns--that's betraying the public trust.

Sure they can.

They certainly can, but they'd look stupid on a Neronian level for picketing as New York City burns.....
First Man in Rome

Zanza

The union negotiated a 4.3% pay rise for me and millions of others in my industry this year and I am not even a member.

Iormlund

Quote from: sbr on June 22, 2012, 07:03:22 PM

There have been 2 general strikes and a public sector strike in the last few years as a result of labor reform and wage cuts. All three have failed miserably.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Sheilbh on June 23, 2012, 01:30:16 AM
I disagree.  I think a large part of why the benefits available too and real earnings earnings of workers have not grown a great deal is the weakness of private sector unions.

I disagree.  I think a large part of why private sector unions are weak is the benefits and real earnings they imposed on their employers drove them into the ground.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Ideologue on June 23, 2012, 01:35:41 AM
Individuals joining together to sell their services as a corporate entity?  Good.

But individuals joining together to sell their services as a corporate entity?  Bad.

There's no problem with individuals joining together to sell their services.  Works very well for bands for example.

The problem arises when employers cannot decline the terms offered and choose to contract with someone else.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 23, 2012, 09:32:36 AM
Quote from: Sheilbh on June 23, 2012, 01:30:16 AM
I disagree.  I think a large part of why the benefits available too and real earnings earnings of workers have not grown a great deal is the weakness of private sector unions.

I disagree.  I think a large part of why private sector unions are weak is the benefits and real earnings they imposed on their employers drove them into the ground.

There is not one example of a company, corporation or transnational that went "into the ground" because of a union.  Nice try, though.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: CountDeMoney on June 23, 2012, 09:44:56 AM
There is not one example of a company, corporation or transnational that went "into the ground" because of a union.  Nice try, though.

Airlines.  Autos.  Steel.

HVC

Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 23, 2012, 09:48:18 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on June 23, 2012, 09:44:56 AM

Airlines.  Autos.  Steel.

Corporate leadership inflexibility to adapt, improvise and overcome in the global market and the regulated environment is not a union's problem.

And don't even mention the fucked up airlines industry.  Getting sued for firing stewardesses for getting married is not the reason United Airlines is still a shitty company;  that's a symptom, not the disease.