News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

World Bank: Unions Good for the Economy

Started by Jacob, June 21, 2012, 11:27:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacob

CountDeMoney

Unfortunately, The World Bank is not interested in increasing shareholder value, Jacob.  That's all that matters.  Job creators, and whatnot.

The Brain

If wearing a turd as a hat was good for the economy I still wouldn't do it.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

The Brain

which poster will emoquit because of this thread
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Maximus

Barrister

I'd be more interested in reading the actual World Bank report, rather than an AFL article discussing it.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

MadImmortalMan

Nothing controversial here. I predict: No ragequits.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Admiral Yi

I predict that Seedy didn't read either of the links.

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 21, 2012, 05:16:29 PM
I predict that Seedy didn't read either of the links.

I predict that Jacob will suspect this will change no minds on Languish.  So there.  Nyah, nyah, nyah.

DGuller

So, if the World Bank says something, it must be true?  The mind just boggles.  :huh: I think I'm done with this place.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: DGuller on June 21, 2012, 06:05:02 PM
So, if the World Bank says something, it must be true?  The mind just boggles.  :huh: I think I'm done with this place.

You didn't read the links either, did you?  Yakie's headline is Timmytastic in its misrepresentationality.

Jacob

Quote from: derspiess on June 21, 2012, 05:44:22 PMUnions suck.

Alright.

A serious question for you, derSpiess:

Who should represent the interests of workers?

Corporations, large and small, have a lot of power in relation to the individual worker. They have more money, in most cases they need any given worker much less than the worker needs them, and they have the organization and capital to influence both the public discourse and lobby the political system in directions favourable to them.

In theory, and often in practice, unions represent the interest of workers both in dealings with organized business interests and the political system; granted they do so imperfectly.

So lets say we get rid of unions. Either people stop joining them altogether or legislation render them utterly useless. How are the interests of workers represented?

- Are the interests of workers simply irrelevant?
- Are individual votes of workers and their ability to quit a job they're unhappy with enough to counter the spending and lobbying of organized business interests, so worker's interests will be represented just fine?
- Or is there some other, better way for interests to be represented?

And to be clear, when I say worker's interests I mean things like formulating and enforcing workplace safety and health standards, addressing grievances (sexual harassment, unfair and abusive treatment, plain old fraud victimizing workers etc) and the like?

Jacob

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 21, 2012, 06:06:28 PM
Quote from: DGuller on June 21, 2012, 06:05:02 PM

You didn't read the links either, did you?  Yakie's headline is Timmytastic in its misrepresentationality.

To be fair, I just lifted the Headline from my source.

Of course... that is pretty Timmytastic  :blush:

But wait... I thought Timmy was your homeboy and you have his back in his Timmytastitude, so how is being Timmytastic bad in your eyes?