Your leading nominee for Dumbest Fucking Marketing Idea of the Year

Started by CountDeMoney, June 19, 2012, 08:37:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

:lol:  I mean, really?  Where's the optional holster and blood stained coke vials while they're at it?

QuoteLos Angeles-based designer Jeremy Scott is trying to weather the controversy over his collaboration with Adidas. The JS Roundhouse Mids, which were supposed to be released in August, feature ankle shackles, which sparked some talk that the sneakers were racist and recalled slavery. Today, Adidas cancelled the shoes, even though the company had denied any connection to slavery earlier.

In a statement yesterday, Adidas said, "The design of the JS Roundhouse Mid is nothing more than the designer Jeremy Scott's outrageous and unique take on fashion and has nothing to do with slavery. Jeremy Scott is renowned as a designer whose style is quirky and lighthearted and his previous shoe designs for adidas Originals have, for example, included panda heads and Mickey Mouse. Any suggestion that this is linked to slavery is untruthful." Today, Adidas basically said the same thing, but added, "We apologize if people are offended by the design and we are withdrawing our plans to make them available in the marketplace."

Scott has been trying to explain his inspiration:
MY WORK HAS ALWAYS BEEN INSPIRED BY CARTOONS, TOYS & MY CHILDHOOD... twitpic.com/9y0bzx

Yes, the shoe is apparently a reference to My Pet Monster, a '90s toy.

But the Rev. Jesse Jackson is having none of that. In a column on the Huffington Post, Jackson wrote:
"The attempt to commercialize and make popular more than 200 years of human degradation, where blacks were considered three-fifths human by our Constitution is offensive, appalling and insensitive. Removing the chains from our ankles and placing them on our shoes is not progress.
For Adidas to promote the athleticism and contributions of a variety of African-American sports legends -- especially Olympic heroes Wilma Rudolph and Jesse Owens and boxing great Muhammad Ali -- and then allow such a degrading symbol of African-American history to pass through its corporate channels and move toward actual production and advertisement, is insensitive and corporately irresponsible.
These slave shoes are odious and we as a people should be called to resent and resist them. If put into production and placed on the market, protests and pickets signs will follow. Adidas cannot make a profit at the expense of commercialized human degradation."

Adidas told the Daily News, "Since the shoe debuted on our Facebook page ahead of its market release in August, adidas has received both favorable and critical feedback."

The shoes would have cost $350.
For four times that, you can get a Kanye West-designed Nike Air Yeezy 2 on eBay.

Capetan Mihali

Electronic monitoring device.  :cool:  Probation is the new prison.
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

Neil

Yeah, it looks exactly like My Pet Monster.  Still, the designer should have known better than to try something like this without paying the bribes to race-baiting pieces of shit like Jesse Jackson.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Neil on June 19, 2012, 08:49:48 PM
Still, the designer should have known better than to try something like this without paying the bribes to race-baiting pieces of shit like Jesse Jackson.

Riiiight, because your pasty white flanneled ass is Adidas' primary marketing demographic.

Siege

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Neil

Quote from: CountDeMoney on June 19, 2012, 08:54:06 PM
Quote from: Neil on June 19, 2012, 08:49:48 PM
Still, the designer should have known better than to try something like this without paying the bribes to race-baiting pieces of shit like Jesse Jackson.

Riiiight, because your pasty white flanneled ass is Adidas' primary marketing demographic.
Nope.  That honour falls to track-suited Slavs.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

derspiess

Hey, if they're willing to wear NASCAR jackets, they might wear these.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Kleves

My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.