And we're back!

Main Menu

Canadian tourist sets fire to Norwegian island

Started by viper37, June 19, 2012, 02:32:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

He got rescued, at least.   :Canuck:

Canadian tourist sets massive rescue fire in Norway
The man tried to send out smoke signals, but burned down a large part of the island A Canadian tourist accidentally set a large part of a Norwegian island on fire after setting a blaze to be rescued.
The 25-year-old, whose name is not being released, was camping alone on the remote island of Hillesoy when he broke his foot. He then decided to send out smoke signals to be rescued. There is no cell phone coverage on the island.
"He lay there for three days waiting to be discovered but on the third day...he realized he had to do something himself," said Joran Bugge, who led the police rescue operation, in a Global Times article. So he put his outdoors skills to work and built a fire. But he must have done too good of a job because the fire quickly burned out of control and burned down his own tent as well as a large part of the island's foliage. It took two army helicopters and 20 firefighters until the next day to get the fire under control.
The couple hundred people who live on the other side of the island were not in danger, but on the plus side the fire accomplished its purpose. The tourist was airlifted to hospital for "moderate" treatment. "It's illegal to start this kind of fire, but in this case the police aren't going to take any action, Bugge said.

I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Drakken

Wrong island, it was supposed to be Hans, not Hillesoy!

Dumbass tourist. :rolleyes:

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Drakken on June 19, 2012, 03:55:41 PM

Fuck that.
My broken foot > your island.

I'd burn that shit down after three days too, if it meant getting out of there after three days and airlifted to an IHOP.

Siege

At least he wasn't an american tourist.
Can you imagine what they would be saying if the dude was a yank?

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: Siege on June 19, 2012, 08:52:50 PM
At least he wasn't an american tourist.
Can you imagine what they would be saying if the dude was a yank?

that they needed two choppers to lift teh fatso off the island? :p

Solmyr

Norwegian islands seem to be pretty shitty places to be at, recently.

viper37

Quote from: Drakken on June 19, 2012, 03:55:41 PM
Wrong island, it was supposed to be Hans, not Hillesoy!

unfortunately, there's nothing to burn there :P

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Valmy

Quote from: viper37 on June 20, 2012, 08:48:57 AM
unfortunately, there's nothing to burn there :P

The Danes have already looted it bare eh?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

viper37

Yes.  It was an island with rich fauna and vegetation, but since the Danes left the island, it has since been bare :(

Barrister

Quote from: viper37 on June 20, 2012, 09:49:11 AM
Yes.  It was an island with rich fauna and vegetation, but since the Danes left the island, it has since been bare :(

That's a lie.  The Danes have never been to Hans Island.  It has clearly been occupied by Canadians and only for years upon years.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.