News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Citizen Soldiers

Started by Siege, May 08, 2009, 12:51:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

syk

Quote from: Siege on May 10, 2009, 01:39:30 AM
You think you have an option to "not touch a gun" because you feel superior to them, and because you are expecting your brothers to pick up your slack.
I am not suprior to soldiers, not at all. They do a necessary job. I do a necessary job. For me it was a conscious decision to not become one and do something to actually help people. I served my country without having any problem with that.

Siege

Quote from: garbon on May 10, 2009, 01:40:35 AM
You think you have an option to "not touch a gun" because you feel superior to them, and because you are expecting your brothers to pick up your slack.

Sure, we have individuals like you who would be otherwise useless to society, to fill that role. :)

Shut up, Garbon. I was talking about germany.
They don't get israeli uber-soldiers as inmigrants.
You can count yourself lucky that I am here to pick up your slack.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Siege

Quote from: syk on May 10, 2009, 01:42:58 AM
I am not suprior to soldiers, not at all. They do a necessary job. I do a necessary job. For me it was a conscious decision to not become one and do something to actually help people. I served my country without having any problem with that.

Ok, you served your country.
That's good enough for me.
I understand that not everybody is cut out to be infantry.
Fair enough.

I was out of line.

syk

Quote from: Siege on May 10, 2009, 01:48:17 AM

Fair enough.

I was out of line.
You couldn't do my job either. Fair enough.

Siege

Quote from: syk on May 10, 2009, 01:50:09 AM

Fair enough.

I was out of line.

Well, I have CLS training (Combat Life Saver)...

Ok, its not the same thing that you do, but I can stabilize a cassualty until the medevac gets there.

Syt

Indeed. The smart ones go to artillery. :P
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Siege

Quote from: Syt on May 10, 2009, 01:55:38 AM

Indeed. The smart ones go to artillery. :P

And get deft by shooting 155mm rounds.

And besides, how can they live with themselves knowing that they could have done so much more?
I understand people that cannot make the cut, but guys that are fit and strong?
Give me a break.

I will never be able to understand that.
We are in danger everyday of our lives.
More people die in car accidents back here at home than at war.
I can't really understand cowardice.
It makes no rational sense.

syk

Quote from: Siege on May 10, 2009, 01:53:14 AM
Quote from: syk on May 10, 2009, 01:50:09 AM

Fair enough.

I was out of line.

Well, I have CLS training (Combat Life Saver)...

Ok, its not the same thing that you do, but I can stabilize a cassualty until the medevac gets there.
That's just the smallest part of my job and I only took part in CPRs a handful of times myself. Next difference is, you're ranged, I'm melee. Glad that part is only slightly bigger than actual life saving measures.

syk

Quote from: Siege on May 10, 2009, 01:37:05 AM

I would love to see you helping a people that wants to kill you.

:lol: Just saw that gem. For the fixed version: Been there, done that, got several t-shirts.

Siege

Quote from: syk on May 10, 2009, 02:10:21 AM

:lol: Just saw that gem. For the fixed version: Been there, done that, got several t-shirts.

No you haven't.

Syt

Quote from: Siege on May 10, 2009, 02:04:01 AM
I understand people that cannot make the cut, but guys that are fit and strong?

They are the ones that load the rounds into the howitzers.

Mind you, we were a recon outfit attached to an arty unit. Our teams would sit in the forest to provide sound/visual (flash) intel on enemy arty positions. Those time delays between sound reports from different positions would be triangulated (with help of weather data) into the approx. position of the enemy guns. Of course these days our unit of 8 recon teams, plus surveyors (I was one of those), plus weather team are replaced by one or two COBRA vehicles:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

syk

Quote from: Siege on May 10, 2009, 02:14:14 AM
Quote from: syk on May 10, 2009, 02:10:21 AM

No you haven't.
Whatever you say tough guy.

Alcibiades

That's just the smallest part of my job and I only took part in CPRs a handful of times myself. Next difference is, you're ranged, I'm melee. Glad that part is only slightly bigger than actual life saving measures.

You are not melee, heh.  And infantry is not 'ranged'. 

To close with and destroy the enemy is our job description. 

The Infantryman's Creed

I am the Infantry.
I am my country's strength in war,
   her deterrent in peace.
I am the heart of the fight-
   wherever, whenever.
I carry America's faith and honor
   against her enemies.
I am the Queen of Battle.

I am what my country expects me to be-
   the best trained soldier in the world.
In the race for victory,
   I am swift, determined, and courageous,
   armed with a fierce will to win.

Never will I fail my country's trust.
Always I fight on-
   through the foe,
   to the objective,
   to triumph over all.
If necessary, I fight to my death.

By my steadfast courage,
   I have won 200 years of freedom.
I yield not-
   to weakness,
   to hunger,
   to cowardice,
   to fatigue,
   to superior odds,
   for I am mentally tough,physically strong,
   and morally straight.

I forsake not-
   my country,
   my mission,
   my comrades,
   my sacred duty.

I am relentless.
I am always there,
   now and forever.

I AM THE INFANTRY!
FOLLOW ME!

...All that guts and glory stuff...or something heh. 

That's why I joined the infantry....couldn't do something like a cook, or intel....too much pride and wanted to actually DO something...  eh ya know.

:P
Wait...  What would you know about masculinity, you fucking faggot?  - Overly Autistic Neil

OTOH, if you think that a Jew actually IS poisoning the wells you should call the cops. IMHO.   - The Brain

syk

Quote from: Alcibiades on May 10, 2009, 04:04:37 AM

You are not melee, heh.  And infantry is not 'ranged'. 

To close with and destroy the enemy is our job description. 

*schnipp*

...All that guts and glory stuff...or something heh. 

That's why I joined the infantry....couldn't do something like a cook, or intel....too much pride and wanted to actually DO something...  eh ya know.

:P

Thanks for taking on the melee bit. I always thought I had a combat job.  :rolleyes: The MMO wording was there for a reason. :P
Seriously, it's cool to take pride in your job. Maybe Siege will catch my drift once he's cracked to a degree his projection and defensive manliness won't work anymore.

Alcibiades

Quote from: syk on May 10, 2009, 04:14:20 AM
Thanks for taking on the melee bit. I always thought I had a combat job.  :rolleyes: The MMO wording was there for a reason. :P
Seriously, it's cool to take pride in your job. Maybe Siege will catch my drift once he's cracked to a degree his projection and defensive manliness won't work anymore.

Sorry, im slightly intoxicated, so the subtleties fall short of me tonight.  I apologize.

And the reason we take pride in our jobs is because it's all we can get from our particular job in the military really.. Kinda sucks. 

"Let us be clear about three facts: First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm."  -Field Marshal Earl Wavell

"I love the infantry because they are the underdogs. They are the mud-rain-frost-and-wind boys. They have no comforts, and they even learn to live without the necessities. And in the end they are the guys that wars can't be won without." -Ernie Pyle

"I'm convinced that the infantry is the group in the army which gives more and gets less than anybody else." - Bill Mauldin, Up Front (1945)

(bolded for truth, unfortunately)

"Never think that war, no matter how necessary, nor how justified, is not a crime. Ask the infantry and ask the dead." -Hemingway

"The army's infantry is its most essential component. Even today, no army can take and hold any ground without the use of infantry." -George Nafziger

'"We are the boys who will go to a particular place, at H-hour, occupy a designated terrain, stand on it, dig the enemy out of their holes, force them then and there to surrender or die. We're the bloody infantry, the doughboy, the duckfoot, the foot soldier who goes where the enemy is and takes them on in person. We've been doing it, with changes in weapons but very little change in our trade, at least since the time five thousand years ago when the foot sloggers of Sargon the Great forced the Sumerians to cry "Uncle!"  - Robert A. Heinlein

Pride's all we have, heh.
Wait...  What would you know about masculinity, you fucking faggot?  - Overly Autistic Neil

OTOH, if you think that a Jew actually IS poisoning the wells you should call the cops. IMHO.   - The Brain