If you were going to be trapped on some made up fantasy world which would it be?

Started by Darth Wagtaros, June 12, 2012, 11:33:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neil

Quote from: CountDeMoney on June 15, 2012, 12:36:52 PM
Quote from: MadImmortalMan on June 15, 2012, 11:05:25 AM
People are not meant to live a chaste life. There is no moral virtue in it.

Sure there is.

Now, I realize all you over-educated, post-humanist too-smart-assed-for-your-own-good cynical fuckwheats blithely dismiss the concept of ecclesiastical celibacy, but that doesn't make it any less important in its historical context in the symbolism of aspiring from the mere existence of man to that of divinity. 

If anything, it is the most virtuous of all virtues.  Fucking pagan.
Sure.  Historical significance.  But these days, we know better than to believe in gods.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Malthus on June 15, 2012, 12:41:21 PM

Sure there is.

Now, I realize all you over-educated, post-humanist too-smart-assed-for-your-own-good cynical fuckwheats blithely dismiss the concept of ecclesiastical celibacy, but that doesn't make it any less important in its historical context in the symbolism of aspiring from the mere existence of man to that of divinity. 

Odd then that in Christianity your *actual* divinity is into virgins.  :D

As per the Papal Encyclical Sacerdotalis Caelibatis, virginity is not a requirement for celibacy.  But yeah, breaking in virgins can be fun.

MadImmortalMan

You forget, I grew up very protestant. The first time I attended a Catholic mass, I was literally frightened and uneasy by all the rituals and claptrap. I couldn't wait to get out of there. Imagine attending a ceremony where people are speaking in tongues and doing snake handling and shit. That's how alien it felt to me.

So ecclesiastical celibacy is a foreign concept to my religious background, and I was taught it had no biblical foundation. (Does it? If so, where?) Plus, it hasn't been all that successful a thing anyway, has it? The early Irish priests ignored it completely and they had a more stable church. The rest of Europe didn't follow it either from what I can see watching the Borgias ( :P ). Then there's the whole other issue the church is dealing with today.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Tonitrus

Neil

I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: Tonitrus on June 15, 2012, 01:20:59 PM
When you control sex...you control life.
Who controls the Spice... controls the universe!

The Protestant services I've gone to, excepting the Lutheran ones, seem more like some uncomfortable combination of infomercial and circus. 
PDH!

garbon

Sure there is.

Too bad that most virtuous of virtues had the reality that priests just diddled altar boys instead.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: garbon on June 15, 2012, 01:50:06 PM

Sure there is.

Too bad that most virtuous of virtues had the reality that priests just diddled altar boys instead.

That is a separate issue and you know that.  Don't get all pissy with Holy Mother Church just because you're damned to hell for all eternity for pillowbiting.

garbon

Quote from: CountDeMoney on June 15, 2012, 03:09:25 PM
Quote from: garbon on June 15, 2012, 01:50:06 PM

Sure there is.

That is a separate issue and you know that.  Don't get all pissy with Holy Mother Church just because you're damned to hell for all eternity for pillowbiting.

Yes and no. We're obviously dealing with a bunch of sexually frustrated individuals.

Anyway, I think I'm damned to hell for more reasons than that.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Lettow77

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on June 15, 2012, 07:50:55 AM
He would be a worshiper of Slaneesh for sure.

Of the existing Chaos gods, the right choice is Nurgle. Nurgle cares about you and brings stability.

Quote from: Neil on June 15, 2012, 07:54:30 AM
Is there a Chaos God of tea, chastity and disabilities?

There's a theory that, as the Chaos gods are manifestations of belief and emotion, the fervent faith in the Emperor from the untold numbers of his subjects would surely have created a Chaos god by now, except the Emperor languishes in his mortal prison as a vegetable. When he is finally freed from the shackles of the Golden Throne, presumably he'd represent things like order, fealty, blind faith and rigid adherence to hierarchy. He is the fascist we all deeply desire to save us from the uncertainty of the universe.

People are not meant to live a chaste life. There is no moral virtue in it. A person who withholds intimacy from their significant other is doing them a great injustice. It's at the bottom level of Maslow's heirarchy of needs. Right down there with breathing, food and water.

You may agree morality is subjective- especially because what you are saying runs counter to a lot of established human morality over the years. I certainly think it has moral value, and have little and less interest in a woman who debases herself. There's room for a plurality of opinions on the subject though, right? Nobody is saying you have to pursue self-denial.
It can't be helped...We'll have to use 'that'

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: garbon on June 15, 2012, 03:37:25 PM
Yes and no. We're obviously dealing with a bunch of sexually frustrated individuals.

Yeah, but that comes down to proper vetting of candidates, which the Church has never had policies for. 
People seeking solace in the cloth in order for God to solve their own demons is not the correct methodology for accepting those into the priesthood.  What they've always needed to do is conduct a background investigation and psych profile on priesthood that would rival a TS/SCI clearance, along with ongoing background checks for the rest of their careers.

QuoteAnyway, I think I'm damned to hell for more reasons than that.

Meh, you and me both.  And I ain't never bit a pillow.

Siege

Quote from: Neil on June 15, 2012, 12:48:04 PM

Sure there is.

Sure.  Historical significance.  But these days, we know better than to believe in gods.

These days people believe in science, with scientists and doctors being the priest cast, and alien believer being the new heresies.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Tonitrus

Ugh, Warhammer.  There are way too many Warhammer-tards in my line of work.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Tonitrus on June 15, 2012, 06:25:59 PM
Ugh, Warhammer.  There are way too many Warhammer-tards in my line of work.

Hey man, I'm all about the RPGs only.  A much more fucked up world than the minis.  :mad: