News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Romney impersonated police officer

Started by Martinus, June 11, 2012, 12:49:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Habbaku

I think there are far better ways to criticize Romney than to cite his idiotic pranksterism from 40 years ago.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Tamas

Quote from: Berkut on June 11, 2012, 01:49:24 AM
Quote from: Tamas on June 11, 2012, 01:47:29 AM
:huh: Srsly guys? The dude impersonated an officer of the law, and you go all "well, hey, it ain't a big deal. he was young"

WTF

Yeah, exactly.

Obama smoked dope and did some blow. Who cares.

The two are entirely different matters, and you know it.

Tamas

Quote from: Habbaku on June 11, 2012, 01:54:03 AM
I think there are far better ways to criticize Romney than to cite his idiotic pranksterism from 40 years ago.

Pretending you are a police officer is not a prank, it's a crime. And not a crime like smoking pot which doesn't affect anybody else, but a crime crime.

Berkut

Quote from: Tamas on June 11, 2012, 01:55:33 AM

Pretending you are a police officer is not a prank, it's a crime. And not a crime like smoking pot which doesn't affect anybody else, but a crime crime.

Doing coke is a crime. And not a crime like pretending like you are a cop as a prank, but a crime crime that people go to prison for a long time for.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Tamas

This is going to be the downfall of your country.

Politics have become a no-compromise tribal contest between the two halves of the citizens. Right? Wrong? Acceptable? Not? All are a matter of tribal affiliation.

Martinus

Quote from: Berkut on June 11, 2012, 02:02:44 AM

Doing coke is a crime. And not a crime like pretending like you are a cop as a prank, but a crime crime that people go to prison for a long time for.

To me, using drugs is certainly less of a crime than impersonating a police officer. At least in a normal world without the stupid war on drugs. The former is victimless crime, the latter is usurpation of the authority of the state.

Tamas

Quote from: Martinus on June 11, 2012, 02:09:03 AM

To me, using drugs is certainly less of a crime than impersonating a police officer. At least in a normal world without the stupid war on drugs. The former is victimless crime, the latter is usurpation of the authority of the state.

but it was done by the current REPUBLICAN CANDIDATE. so STFU it was nothing.

Martinus

But that's because your legal system is fucked up when it comes to drug-related crimes. Sure, you could adopt laws where jaywalking would be punishable by death and murder would involve community service, but that does not make jaywalking, objectively, a more serious crime than murder.

Berkut

I don't think either is a big deal, under the context the "crimes" were committed in.

Impersonating a cop in order to actually usurp the authority of the state is a big deal. If he did it so he could engage in some other criminal activity, that would be a big deal.

But he did it is a prank. Stupid, but hardly anything to get all worked up about.

Just like smoking some pot, or even doing a "little blow".

0 rows returned

Berkut

Quote from: Tamas on June 11, 2012, 02:09:50 AM

but it was done by the current REPUBLICAN CANDIDATE. so STFU it was nothing.

Funny, I am pretty sure the only reason this is something is it was done by the REPUBLICAN CANDIDATE.

When the DEMOCRAT CANDIDATE was found to have been engaging in the use of felony narcotics, that was STFU is was nothing.

0 rows returned

11B4V

The dog on the roof was the kicker for me. Dudes a nutjob.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Berkut

Quote from: Tamas on June 11, 2012, 02:07:50 AM
This is going to be the downfall of your country.

Politics have become a no-compromise tribal contest between the two halves of the citizens. Right? Wrong? Acceptable? Not? All are a matter of tribal affiliation.

So me saying neither of them is anything to get worked up about is a "matter of tribal affiliation" while YOU insisting that only the member of the one tribe is somehow to be held accountable for their actions is...what?

0 rows returned

Tamas

Quote from: Berkut on June 11, 2012, 02:13:54 AM

I don't think either is a big deal, under the context the "crimes" were committed in.

Impersonating a cop in order to actually usurp the authority of the state is a big deal. If he did it so he could engage in some other criminal activity, that would be a big deal.

But he did it is a prank. Stupid, but hardly anything to get all worked up about.

Just like smoking some pot, or even doing a "little blow".

Quote"He told us that he was using it to pull over drivers on the road.

Prank?

Ideologue

You may want to reanalyze your position.

For one thing, yeah, impersonating a police officer is very much a "crime crime," dude, and, yes, you can go to prison for a year in this state if you do it.  (And TBH, I'm shocked and appalled it's only a misdemeanor, given the tremendous danger someone impersonating a police officer can pose.  I'd be willing to bet it's a felony in at least some states.)
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)