News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Youtube Recommendations

Started by mongers, June 10, 2012, 07:29:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

Over the last few days I've been binging Viva La Dirt League's Epic NPC Man series (skits about logic in MMOs/RPGs, set in the game of Skycraft and the world of Azerim).

If you like stuff like Door Monster (though I think these guys are better in terms of acting and the production quality in later seasons and their mini movie (don't ask) are becoming quite silly), I highly recommend checking them out. They put their skits into supercuts for easier viewing and someone made a handy playlist: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLaV2bHVOlYSDbo0JGghjISwfO3hH9jBav
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Syt

A weird little time capsule: The MTV European Top 20 October 1993: https://youtu.be/ly-PNXxMI9Q

Some videos edited out, I guess to get around YouTube's content flags.

I watched MTV Europe excessively from 1992 till 1996 (or1997? whenever they went from free to a subscription channel), so between ages 16 and 20 ... good times. I think it was good because it exposed me to all kinds of music that you might not hear on the radio or see elsewhere (it was also when Bravo TV, a multiple hours long program by Germany's leading youth print magazine started) - I don't recall Enter Sandman or Smells Like Teen Spirit coming on the radio until years later on a few more niche stations popped up.

I mean it also exposed me to a lot of songs I now loathe, or came to loathe because of how much they overplayed them. But yeah, MTV's Most Wanted with Ray Cokes was fun, Beavis and Butthead were still new and interesting, and Headbangers Ball was the most important program for me (though they did play e.g. Sepultura during normal programming at the time).

Also, the Aerosmith videos with Alicia Silverstone  :wub: (yes, she's 16 in "Crying", but it's ok, she's 4 days older than me IRL :P )
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Josephus

Those Aerosmith video with Alicia, and Steve Tyler's daughter were great.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

viper37

Quote from: Syt on October 03, 2021, 09:40:55 AM
I mean it also exposed me to a lot of songs I now loathe, or came to loathe because of how much they overplayed them.
You mean like this?

I used to watch Musique Plus.  They had some good stuff sometimes, like this one.

Solidrock was my favorite show on this channel :)

Interestingly (or not :P ), that dude, talking heavy metal everyweek and seeming to enjoy it decided to launch a musical carreer shortly after his tv show ended.
Blue Jeans on the beach

Not surprinsingly, that was a flop.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Syt

Quote from: viper37 on October 04, 2021, 10:20:08 PM
You mean like this?
:P

More like this: https://youtu.be/3JWTaaS7LdU

Also, it was a rough time if you weren't into dance pop or techno which dominated the singles charts at the time. Sure, MTV played grunge and alt rock and a bit of (mainstream) metal, but those were completely pushed to the sides for pop and techno (more so in later years), and ... well, see above which seemed to play once or twice every hour. :P

Germany also got its own music TV station, VIVA, in the 90s, too. It was massively popular, but it was almost exclusively focused on dance, pop, and techno, so while it was massively popular I barely watched it.  They were acquired by MTV in 2005 and shut down in 2018 (who watches music television anymore?).

A major reason why I loved my MTV ( :P ) was that it was one of the few programs I had that broadcast in English at the time.
—Stephen Jay Gould

The Larch

I remember VIVA, it was available in Spain through cable or some such. Man was that something different.  :lol:

PDH

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on October 02, 2021, 12:38:45 PM
Drinking History followed up his Tasting History episode about Gladiators with a common Gladiator drink. I probably won't try it, but it is, as always fascinating.

I might try making the Viking blood bread.

I had not watched this yet (on my list of "I should watch") but I decided to take the plunge...and that was a deep dive.  Fun tidbits and recipes, thanks Wagonator 2000.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Darth Wagtaros

One of my favorite web series.
PDH!

Duque de Bragança

I remember getting VIVA Germany on satellite in Portugal, as well.

Viva Polska seemed to show more metal or am I mixing up with another Polish music video channel?

Syt

Not sure if VIVA had foreign offshoots. VIVA did launch quite a few TV careers, though.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Duque de Bragança

VIVA definitively had foreign off-shoots.

There was a short-lived Polish Atomic TV music video channel which I may have mixed up with VIVA Poland.

viper37

Quote from: Syt on October 05, 2021, 01:10:13 AM
Quote from: viper37 on October 04, 2021, 10:20:08 PM
You mean like this?
:P

More like this: https://youtu.be/3JWTaaS7LdU
I see... :P

Also, it was a rough time if you weren't into dance pop or techno which dominated the singles charts at the time. Sure, MTV played grunge and alt rock and a bit of (mainstream) metal, but those were completely pushed to the sides for pop and techno (more so in later years), and ... well, see above which seemed to play once or twice every hour. :P

Germany also got its own music TV station, VIVA, in the 90s, too. It was massively popular, but it was almost exclusively focused on dance, pop, and techno, so while it was massively popular I barely watched it.  They were acquired by MTV in 2005 and shut down in 2018 (who watches music television anymore?).

A major reason why I loved my MTV ( :P ) was that it was one of the few programs I had that broadcast in English at the time.
I remember going on a student exchange and discovering MuchMusic with, I think, it's "Power hour", where they would play rock&metal for 1hr every day... I felt so cheated by my music's channel weekly hour of metal! Why them??  Why can't we have this dammit!  :D

At, the goold ol' 80s :P

I wasn't a huge radio consumer back then, for musical reasons.  In the late 90s, one controversial station appeared with rock&metal music being the main stuff that got played, in English and French.  Those where the good days :)
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Berkut

This is a great channel, all kinds of interesting stuff on the US Navy and Naval aviation.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCiUteckG37fXz0g5h8iZ_0g
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

grumbler

Quote from: Berkut on November 11, 2021, 04:08:44 PM
This is a great channel, all kinds of interesting stuff on the US Navy and Naval aviation.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCiUteckG37fXz0g5h8iZ_0g

Yep.  Been following him for years.  Some really eclectic stuff as well as the history stuff.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Maladict

That's the guy from the Proceedings podcast, no?