News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Youtube Recommendations

Started by mongers, June 10, 2012, 07:29:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Brain

Wow. I used to think I had broad tastes in music.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

grumbler

Ran across this video from the "I can't believe that they got to grab this title" World War Two and thought some here might find it interesting: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Z6HNH4-6_I&t=659s.  It is basically an explanation of how ill-conceived Japanese economic plans for their "Greater East Asia Co-prosperity Sphere" really were.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Maladict

Quote from: grumbler on January 01, 2022, 05:56:42 PM
Ran across this video from the "I can't believe that they got to grab this title" World War Two and thought some here might find it interesting: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Z6HNH4-6_I&t=659s.  It is basically an explanation of how ill-conceived Japanese economic plans for their "Greater East Asia Co-prosperity Sphere" really were.

Thanks, very interesting. If this is representative of his current stuff he has certainly improved over the years.

Berkut

This is cool. Simulated 1985 attack on a US CVBG group by 100 T-22Ms.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCPmRnUZb3I
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

grumbler

Quote from: Berkut on January 02, 2022, 01:49:18 AM

It's fun to see this stuff because it is right in my wheelhouse, but they should have talked to me first. 

The fact that they are calling this "realistic" is funny, given the canned scenario, weird OOB decisions, lack of knowledge about things like the Navy Tactical Data System (NTDS), and the lack of knowledge about how the US planned to defend the battle groups in this scenario.

First, the scenario is set in 1985, which means that there are only 3 Ticos commissioned, and this CVBG has two of them.  It has none of the roughly 30 other cruisers in the USN, no DDGs, and no Spruance class destroyers.  It has an over-abundance of OHP frigates.

The Nimitz had an air wing of 36 Tomcats and 30 Intruders for only a short time, and no USN carrier in the history of ever had 36 operational Tomcats available.  When the Nimitz operated 36 Tomcats it probably had 26 or so that could fly on a given day.  The F-14A was notoriously difficult to keep in service.  It would be far more realistic if they had a carrier with 24 Tomcats, with, say, 17 available.

It isn't unrealistic to think that a CVBG that was somehow caught in the Black Sea would be overwhelmed.  At short ranges like that, the Tu-22M could, indeed, carry 3 Kh-22 and, while they couldn't get 100 Tu-22Ms aloft, they could certainly get a regiment or two (probably about 30-60 operational aircraft) of them, with another maybe 2 or 3 regiments of other anti-ship bombers like the Badger to keep things lively.  There wouldn't likely be enough launch warning time to get the whole carrier fighter force in the air.  But the chances that the US would leave a CVBG in the Black Sea with tensions high is nil.

The US knew when the Soviet launched significant numbers of Backfires.  The heat signature was visible to the early warning satellites that were designed to detect ICBM launches.  Knowing the launch time and thus the time to target, the USN planned to have every fighter in the wing waiting for the Backfire beyond the Kh-22 launch range.  There would be no DLI; if it could fly, it was already airborne.  This was known as "the outer air battle."  The F-14s would not be carrying 6 Phoenix missiles, though (that was theoretically possible, but that loadout left no stations for fuel, and so was unsuitable for the OAB).  Also, the F-14 couldn't land with six Phoenix, so such a loadout would have to ditch two Phoenix if the raid turned back or targeted something else.  There weren't enough Phoenix missiles to allow that.

Missile engagements were not as the creators of this video suggest; no radio calls about "you take the guys on the left and I will take the guys on the right."  Every bandit would be digitally tagged with a track number, and the each fighter would be directed to engage specific track numbers.  The RIO in each plane could see what tracks had been engaged and which ones hadn't, if the situation got hectic enough to overwhelm the controllers.  When an F-14 locked on a track, the other F-14s knew it.

So, in something of a realistic scenario with realistic forces, this engagement wouldn't look much at all like the one depicted here.  There would be far fewer leakers, but also a weaker SAM screen.  IIRC, the USN generally believed that each Tomcat would splash three bombers (two with Phoenix, one with Sparrows).

There's no electronic warfare on either side in this scenario, which also misses a big part of the doctrine of both sides.  The EA-6 was designed to suppress air defenses, but would be up jamming the shit out of those Down Beat radars, the the Kh-22 has to get a radar lock from the launch plane before launching.  That's going to cut down launch range by A LOT.  That means more splashed Backfires before they get to launch.  The Tomcat radar was harder to jam, but the Soviets could certainly deny the 90+ mile launches the game predicts in this video.  Sixty miles is more reasonable, but that wouldn't matter so much because they Tomcats are not as time-limited as in the video simulation.

The presenters also are rather comically misinformed about computer modelling capabilities in the 1980s.  Even in the late 1970s, I participated in training simulations that modelled this in real time (though obviously without the graphics).  In the early 1980s, working for a Beltway bandit, I helped model the shit out of these kinds of scenarios to help the USN decide on future weapons programs.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Darth Wagtaros

PDH!

mongers

Quote from: grumbler on January 02, 2022, 10:04:08 AM
Quote from: Berkut on January 02, 2022, 01:49:18 AM

It's fun to see this stuff because it is right in my wheelhouse, but they should have talked to me first. 
snip
The presenters also are rather comically misinformed about computer modelling capabilities in the 1980s.  Even in the late 1970s, I participated in training simulations that modelled this in real time (though obviously without the graphics).  In the early 1980s, working for a Beltway bandit, I helped model the shit out of these kinds of scenarios to help the USN decide on future weapons programs.

Thanks grumbler, that was a very interesting read.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Berkut

When I posted that video I was mentally thinking "....and I can't wait to get grumblers take on it..."

It's a fun little scenario to watch play out, but of course is pretty clearly completely amateur, and limited to the abilities of the sim they are using, which is rather general purpose. I sure as hell hope the USN (and the Russians for that matter) have and had MUCH better capabilities to simulate this stuff.

0 rows returned

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: Berkut on January 02, 2022, 11:00:31 AM
When I posted that video I was mentally thinking "....and I can't wait to get grumblers take on it..."

It's a fun little scenario to watch play out, but of course is pretty clearly completely amateur, and limited to the abilities of the sim they are using, which is rather general purpose. I sure as hell hope the USN (and the Russians for that matter) have and had MUCH better capabilities to simulate this stuff.
SOme of the comments claim that they did have some sophisticated simulations available back in the day, although their computers may have taken a few days to crunch all the numbers. No graphics though.
PDH!

Berkut

0 rows returned

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

grumbler

Bayraktar!

grumbler

LegalEagle is practically chortling as he describes Alex Jones's disastrously legal strategy of ignoring judges in the lawsuits against him results in a series of summary judgements against him. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mSm7sRx-0hA

The trials will only determine how much Jones is liable for.  Jones can get away with not participating in that trial.

Bayraktar!

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: grumbler on January 02, 2022, 08:38:00 PM
LegalEagle is practically chortling as he describes Alex Jones's disastrously legal strategy of ignoring judges in the lawsuits against him results in a series of summary judgements against him. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mSm7sRx-0hA

The trials will only determine how much Jones is liable for.  Jones can get away with not participating in that trial.
Well he can never fully pay the damages, and so he'll play up his roll as the martyr, fighting for the truth against corrupt leftist activist judges.
PDH!