Hindsight 20/20: Iraq and Afghanistan: would you do it?

Started by Martinus, June 10, 2012, 02:25:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hindsight 10/10, taking into account all you know today and assuming things play out exactly the same, would you want the US to invade Iraq and Afghanistan?

Iraq: Yes, Afghanistan: Yes
10 (23.3%)
Iraq: No, Afghanistan: Yes
26 (60.5%)
Iraq: Yes, Afghanistan: No
1 (2.3%)
Iraq: No, Afghanistan: No
6 (14%)

Total Members Voted: 41

Zanza

Voted no on both. Attacking Al Qaida and the Taleban in 2001 and 2002 was obviously necessary and it was right in hindsight too. But the ten years in Afghanistan after that were a mistake in hindsight.

11B4V

Quote from: Berkut on June 11, 2012, 01:49:58 AM
Quote from: 11B4V on June 11, 2012, 01:42:01 AM
Quote from: Solmyr on June 11, 2012, 12:39:18 AM
This poll is stupid. What's the point of talking about hindsight if you are going to ignore it anyway?

It's Languish.

And it's a Marty poll to boot. That is like Languish x Languish.

In your formula (Languish x Languish), is Languish the constant or variable?  :D
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Ideologue

23 people on Languish support fascism.  JAPAN YES; GERMANY NO
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Eddie Teach

Well, considering Hitler declared war on us first it didn't matter.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Ideologue

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on June 11, 2012, 03:10:06 AM
Well, considering Hitler declared war on us first it didn't matter.

Only because we were fighting an undeclared war on him in the Atlantic.  NO BLOOD FOR JEWS.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Ideologue on June 11, 2012, 02:45:19 AM

C'mon man, what do you expect?  A forum predominantly stacked over-educated snot-nosed white boys, whose only base connection is a Swedish video game from 10 years ago?

11B4V

Quote from: CountDeMoney on June 11, 2012, 06:07:04 AM

C'mon man, what do you expect?  A forum predominantly stacked over-educated snot-nosed white boys, whose only base connection is a Swedish video game from 10 years ago?

I have never played EU...... :blink:
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

CountDeMoney

Quote from: 11B4V on June 11, 2012, 06:23:10 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on June 11, 2012, 06:07:04 AM

I have never played EU...... :blink:

I said "predominantly".  Whitey. :P

derspiess

Quote from: CountDeMoney on June 10, 2012, 06:51:44 AM
Save all the post-9/11 international street cred for action against Iran.

That had an expiration date, and a short one at that (Iraq or no Iraq).  Unless you were thinking about doing the Iran thing around the same timeframe as Iraq.

Voted yes & yes, but I don't like the question.  We pretty much had to do the Afghanistan thing, but I don't think we needed to stay as long as we have.  I also think invading Iraq was the correct thing to do given Saddam's provocations, violations of the terms of our ceasefire with him, etc. but disagree with the neocon post-invasion plan.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Josquius

There was no choice for Afghanistan. Yes. But do it differently.

Iraq though no. In hindsight we know there were no WMDs and it perhaps even slowed down the democracy movement in the middle east.
██████
██████
██████

CountDeMoney

Quote from: derspiess on June 11, 2012, 09:20:23 AM
Unless you were thinking about doing the Iran thing around the same timeframe as Iraq.

Yes, I am.  The "Axis of Evil" speech set the stage as a direct policy statement with historical implications.  Want to stop terrorism?  You go straight for the biggest state sponsor.  And uncovering and verifying the facilities at Natanz and Arak through 2002-3 with European assistance and IAEA credibility was just the icing on top. 

Bush had the opportunity to reposition the US with the greatest post-Cold War US foreign policy initiative imaginable, with the absolute moral authority on two of the most justifiable international security concerns in today's world:  addressing the state actors that actively support terrorism, and enforcing nuclear non-proliferation.  It doesn't get much more international than that. 

But no. Never had so much international support and sympathy had been pissed away so completely by going after Iraq.  Goddamned shame, really.

derspiess

Quote from: CountDeMoney on June 11, 2012, 09:43:39 AM
Quote from: derspiess on June 11, 2012, 09:20:23 AM
Unless you were thinking about doing the Iran thing around the same timeframe as Iraq.

Yes, I am.  The "Axis of Evil" speech set the stage as a direct policy statement with historical implications.  Want to stop terrorism?  You go straight for the biggest state sponsor.  And uncovering and verifying the facilities at Natanz and Arak through 2002-3 with European assistance and IAEA credibility was just the icing on top. 

Bush had the opportunity to reposition the US with the greatest post-Cold War US foreign policy initiative imaginable, with the absolute moral authority on two of the most justifiable international security concerns in today's world:  addressing the state actors that actively support terrorism, and enforcing nuclear non-proliferation.  It doesn't get much more international than that. 

But no. Never had so much international support and sympathy had been pissed away so completely by going after Iraq.  Goddamned shame, really.

Okay, so let's hear some details for your 2003 plan to deal with Iran.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Jacob

My opinion is the same as it was then. Don't invade Iraq, do what you have to do to get rid of the Taliban and hit bin Laden.

Berkut

Iraq no, Afghanistan yes.

In hindsight, the cost for Iraq was not worth the payoff.

On the other hand, if we are using hindsight, chances are we could have reduced the cost considerably with a less completely non-existent post-war plan...so who knows, really.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned