Hindsight 20/20: Iraq and Afghanistan: would you do it?

Started by Martinus, June 10, 2012, 02:25:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hindsight 10/10, taking into account all you know today and assuming things play out exactly the same, would you want the US to invade Iraq and Afghanistan?

Iraq: Yes, Afghanistan: Yes
10 (23.3%)
Iraq: No, Afghanistan: Yes
26 (60.5%)
Iraq: Yes, Afghanistan: No
1 (2.3%)
Iraq: No, Afghanistan: No
6 (14%)

Total Members Voted: 41

FunkMonk

Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Warspite

Afghanistan, yes, but a different approach: kick the hell out of the Taliban and AQ in the same manner as before. But, at Bonn, invite the Taliban to be part of Afghanistan's political future in some way, rather than freezing them out completely and having them sit in the FATA regrouping. Alternatively, have international nation-building efforts actually gather steam before a revitalised insurgency takes off in 2005/06.

Iraq, something would need to be done about Saddam but outright invasion was a bad idea. Use Iraq invasion resources on Afghanistan instead.
" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Warspite on June 10, 2012, 09:43:41 AM
Iraq, something would need to be done about Saddam but outright invasion was a bad idea.

Operation Northern Watch/Southern Watch was motoring along just fine, thank you.  Nothing needed to be done.

Although, I do find it ironical, in the early debates of countering anti-invasion criticism, the GOPtards were using the "wasteful" costs of NW/SW containment as an argument to invade.  Interesting how, $3.7 trillion later and a lot of dead troops, nobody mentions that now.

QuoteUse Iraq invasion resources on Afghanistan Iran instead.

citizen k

Zoupa

Scipio

What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

Tonitrus

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Tonitrus

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Tonitrus on June 10, 2012, 06:23:52 PM
Quote from: Scipio on June 10, 2012, 06:08:23 PM
Afghanistan, yes.  Iraq, parking lot.

What about the dual-parking lot strategy? :hmm:

You know, while that strategy is good for the air force, I'm not sure it encourages them to hire more linguists.  :hmm:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Ideologue

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on June 10, 2012, 06:26:29 PM
Quote from: Tonitrus on June 10, 2012, 06:23:52 PM
Quote from: Scipio on June 10, 2012, 06:08:23 PM
Afghanistan, yes.  Iraq, parking lot.

What about the dual-parking lot strategy? :hmm:

You know, while that strategy is good for the air force, I'm not sure it encourages them to hire more linguists.  :hmm:

Someone has to go through the spreadsheets to determine how many bombers per economic center, and they are often written in foreignese.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Solmyr

This poll is stupid. What's the point of talking about hindsight if you are going to ignore it anyway?

11B4V

Quote from: Solmyr on June 11, 2012, 12:39:18 AM
This poll is stupid. What's the point of talking about hindsight if you are going to ignore it anyway?

It's Languish.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Berkut

Quote from: 11B4V on June 11, 2012, 01:42:01 AM
Quote from: Solmyr on June 11, 2012, 12:39:18 AM

It's Languish.

And it's a Marty poll to boot. That is like Languish x Languish.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Tamas

Quote from: Martinus on June 10, 2012, 07:35:37 AM
Quote from: Viking on June 10, 2012, 07:17:30 AM
Do both differently competently using hindsight.

That's not an option in this poll.

The poll is pointless then. there is no doubt the two operations have been a failure. You may argue that they were not pre-determined to be failures, but if you are not allowing to speculate based on hindsight, this is the worst poll ever in the history of Languish.