Started by Octavian, June 07, 2012, 07:05:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Octavian

For Martinus, CDM, Garbon etc.

http://www.cphpost.dk/news/national/gay-marriage-law-pass-parliament

QuoteGay marriage law to pass in parliament

Peter Stanners
June 7, 2012 - 13:13
Same-sex couples will be able to be married in Danish churches as soon as June 15 while those in civil partnerships will automatically be granted the status as 'married'

The ban on marrying same-sex couples in the Church of Denmark will be overturned in parliament today, as a majority of parties have announced their intention to support a law to make marriage gender neutral.

The law does permit vicars to decline to marry same-sex couples in their church, however. In such cases, couples would need to find another minister to perform the ceremony for them.

Same-sex ceremonies may occur as soon as June 15 should the nation's bishops, as expected, come up with a ceremony by Monday that can be used to wed same-sex couples in church.

The new ceremony was needed after bishops ruled that the current one can only be used to wed heterosexual couples. But while same-sex and heterosexual couples will be wed using different rituals, their marriage status will be equal.

In 1989, Denmark became the first country in the world to allow civil partnerships between couples of the same gender, and with the expected law change, the approximately 4,100 couples in registered partnerships will automatically be granted the status of marriage.

According to the church minister, Manu Sareen (Radikale), today's law change is "historic".

"In 1989 people were given the opportunity to register their partnership at city hall," Sareen told Politiken newspaper. "But now that we have given them the opportunity to get married, we have lifted the level of equality to a whole new level compared to 1989. Couples of the same sex will be put on the same footing as couples of different sex and that is a huge change."

Sareen added that allowing vicars to decline to marry same-sex couples meant that parliament was not infringing on the Church of Denmark's right to make its own theological reading.

"We are giving vicars the opportunity to say no. That's what's so fantastic about this proposal. On the one hand it allows same sex couples the opportunity to get married," Sareen said, adding:

"But at the same time we are reaching out to priests and saying that those who don't want to wed homosexual couples don't have to. We recognise that when dealing with theology you have to accept their will be different interpretations."

This view was not shared by the Kristendemokraterne (KD) – who currently have no seats in parliament – and who are now threatening to launch a class action law suit against the state.

"Parliament is infringing of religious freedom and in doing so violates the constitution. That is why we are working on a lawsuit against the state to protect religious freedom and protect people who feel the law infringes their right to practice their faith,"  Per Ørum Jørgensen, KD's chairman, said.

Overall, however, support for the legislation was overwhelming, with the prime minister, Helle Thorning-Schmidt (Socialdemokraterne), also marking the "historic occasion" on her Facebook page.

"Today we allow homosexual couples to enter into marriage on the same footing as any others – something that Socialdemokraterne has fought for many years," Thorning-Schmidt wrote.

Among the parties in parliament, only the right-wing Dansk Folkeparti has said it will vote against the law, while party leaders from the opposition Venstre and Konservative have told their MPs they were free to vote according to their conscience. All other parties have announced their intention to vote in favour.

If you let someone handcuff you, and put a rope around your neck, don't act all surprised if they hang you!

- Eyal Yanilov.

Forget about winning and losing; forget about pride and pain. Let your opponent graze your skin and you smash into his flesh; let him smash into your flesh and you fracture his bones; let him fracture your bones and you take his life. Do not be concerned with escaping safely - lay your life before him.

- Bruce Lee

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Octavian

Quote from: 11B4V on June 07, 2012, 07:18:43 AM
Quote from: Octavian on June 07, 2012, 07:05:22 AM

Doable

Agreed! Although I would require them both to participate and on my terms.
If you let someone handcuff you, and put a rope around your neck, don't act all surprised if they hang you!

- Eyal Yanilov.

Forget about winning and losing; forget about pride and pain. Let your opponent graze your skin and you smash into his flesh; let him smash into your flesh and you fracture his bones; let him fracture your bones and you take his life. Do not be concerned with escaping safely - lay your life before him.

- Bruce Lee

Martinus

Quote"Today we allow homosexual couples to enter into marriage on the same footing as any others – something that Socialdemokraterne has fought for many years," Thorning-Schmidt wrote.

I think there is one "for" missing in that sentence.  :lol:

Solmyr

Quote from: Martinus on June 07, 2012, 08:28:51 AM
Quote"Today we allow homosexual couples to enter into marriage on the same footing as any others – something that Socialdemokraterne has fought for many years," Thorning-Schmidt wrote.

No there isn't. :huh:

Octavian

:D

- Eyal Yanilov.

- Bruce Lee

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Martinus

Quote from: Solmyr on June 07, 2012, 09:38:12 AM

No there isn't. :huh:

Yes there is. Unless they wanted to say that, for many years, the social democrats have been fighting (against) gay marriage, the sentence should have read "something that Socialdemokraterne has fought for for many years."

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Sheilbh

What do people mean about the man's role when talking about lesbians?

I get it with gay men, but I've never understood what that means with lesbians.
Let's bomb Russia!

derspiess

Quote from: Sheilbh on June 07, 2012, 02:57:09 PM

There just usually seems to be one that's more butch than the other.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Admiral Yi

She shoves the cucumbers in the other one's ass.

garbon

Are you kidding me?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Butch_and_femme
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Sheilbh

Quote from: garbon on June 07, 2012, 03:03:41 PM

Are you kidding me?

I assumed it was a sexual thing.  So I meant sexually.
Let's bomb Russia!

garbon

Quote from: Sheilbh on June 07, 2012, 03:05:03 PM
Quote from: garbon on June 07, 2012, 03:03:41 PM

Are you kidding me?

I assumed it was a sexual thing.  So I meant sexually.

It can. You can have a more submissive and a more dominant partner even without penis play. Just ask Mart.