News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Gay marriage legal in Denmark

Started by Octavian, June 07, 2012, 07:05:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

To answer more seriously Shelf, I don't think lesbians are all that interested in sex.

derspiess

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 07, 2012, 03:07:28 PM
To answer more seriously Shelf, I don't think lesbians are all that interested in sex.

Not when they get older, apparently.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Solmyr

Quote from: Martinus on June 07, 2012, 02:32:27 PM
Quote from: Solmyr on June 07, 2012, 09:38:12 AM
Quote from: Martinus on June 07, 2012, 08:28:51 AM
Quote"Today we allow homosexual couples to enter into marriage on the same footing as any others – something that Socialdemokraterne has fought for many years," Thorning-Schmidt wrote.

I think there is one "for" missing in that sentence.  :lol:

No there isn't. :huh:

Yes there is. Unless they wanted to say that, for many years, the social democrats have been fighting (against) gay marriage, the sentence should have read "something that Socialdemokraterne has fought for for many years."

Uh, no. If they whated to say that they fought against it, they would have said fought against. Instead, they said that they fought for it, many years. While saying the word "for" twice in a row would not be wrong as such, it's more elegant not to, and the above sentence is grammatically correct, because "many years" is equivalent to "for many years" in this context.

Martinus

Quote from: Solmyr on June 08, 2012, 12:27:21 AM
Quote from: Martinus on June 07, 2012, 02:32:27 PM
Quote from: Solmyr on June 07, 2012, 09:38:12 AM
Quote from: Martinus on June 07, 2012, 08:28:51 AM
Quote"Today we allow homosexual couples to enter into marriage on the same footing as any others – something that Socialdemokraterne has fought for many years," Thorning-Schmidt wrote.

I think there is one "for" missing in that sentence.  :lol:

No there isn't. :huh:

Yes there is. Unless they wanted to say that, for many years, the social democrats have been fighting (against) gay marriage, the sentence should have read "something that Socialdemokraterne has fought for for many years."

Uh, no. If they whated to say that they fought against it, they would have said fought against. Instead, they said that they fought for it, many years. While saying the word "for" twice in a row would not be wrong as such, it's more elegant not to, and the above sentence is grammatically correct, because "many years" is equivalent to "for many years" in this context.

Can a native speaker resolve this? I think Solmyr is wrong.

Martinus

Quote from: Sheilbh on June 07, 2012, 03:05:03 PM
Quote from: garbon on June 07, 2012, 03:03:41 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on June 07, 2012, 02:57:09 PM
What do people mean about the man's role when talking about lesbians?

I get it with gay men, but I've never understood what that means with lesbians.

Are you kidding me?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Butch_and_femme
I assumed it was a sexual thing.  So I meant sexually.

It's actually the opposite. In my experience, the reason why it doesn't ultimately make sense to talk about the "man" and the "woman" in a homosexual relationship is that, unlike the usual fare for straight couples, while homosexual couples fall within these patterns, they are never (or at least very rarely) consistent across the board.

So e.g. the stay at home person may be also more "masculine" and dominant in the relationship, but also be the bottom in sex etc.

Habbaku

Generally-speaking, Martinus is right on the issue because that statement is poorly written (spoken, really, since it's a quote), but due to the intricacies of the English language, Solmyr is also correct.

Solmyr's explanation that it is something they "fought for many years" assumes a momentary pause between "fought for" and "many years" to make it mean what it does.

As written, though, it is very easy to see it be misconstrued as saying that they fought against the item in question, so I would say it is clumsy writing.  It makes more sense as spoken, but the quote as-is is confusing.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Admiral Yi

I only play a native speaker on TV, but my sense is that it's grammatically correct but sounds a little off.  Like a line David Caradine would say in Kung Fu: "I lived in monastery many years."

Habbaku

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 08, 2012, 01:18:55 AM
I only play a native speaker on TV, but my sense is that it's grammatically correct but sounds a little off.  Like a line David Caradine would say in Kung Fu: "I lived in monastery many years."

:yes:
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Solmyr

Well I googled "fight for for many years" and "fight for many years", and the former never showed up while the latter did.

Liep

"Fought for for many years" showed up though. In 50000 examples even. With one 'for' all the examples on the first page was for fighting against something for many years.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

sbr

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 07, 2012, 03:07:28 PM

Where do you get that idea?  I know its a small sample size but the 2 I know are the horniest people i know.

Valmy

Quote from: sbr on June 08, 2012, 10:04:07 AM
Where do you get that idea?  I know its a small sample size but the 2 I know are the horniest people i know.

I suspect lesbians are not any more or less interested in sex than non-lesbian women.  Which is to say it varies wildly.

But who cares?  They are not interested in sex with me.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Eddie Teach

From years of watching the L Word, I can say two things: Lesbians are horny as heck, and there is a tendency for more feminine and less feminine lesbians to pair up.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Valmy

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on June 08, 2012, 10:52:46 AM
From years of watching the L Word, I can say two things: Lesbians are horny as heck, and there is a tendency for more feminine and less feminine lesbians to pair up.

I have to say I know quite a few Lesbians but I do not really think this stereotype holds up...but then I do admit I do not know any super feminine or super masculine lesbians.  They are just...erm....sorta normal.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Valmy on June 08, 2012, 11:08:32 AM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on June 08, 2012, 10:52:46 AM

I have to say I know quite a few Lesbians but I do not really think this stereotype holds up...but then I do admit I do not know any super feminine or super masculine lesbians.  They are just...erm....sorta normal.

The lesbians you know probably also have real jobs instead of whole communities working in some form of entertainment or other.  :rolleyes:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?