Classic X-COM: UFO Defense AAR - "Languish Force"

Started by Tonitrus, June 06, 2012, 01:21:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

What button do you push to shoot Hans in the back with a untraceable drop piece?

Caliga

:rolleyes: I would have hired a consultant to do the breach for me.  Tonitrus doesn't know me. :(

Anyway, this reminds me how X-Com was one of the greatest games of all time.  I remember playing it in my freshman dorm while eating pizza combos. :cool:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

The Brain

Suggestion: use the names of gay posters for female soldiers.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

garbon

Quote from: The Brain on June 08, 2012, 12:26:21 PM
Suggestion: use the names of gay posters for female soldiers.

He already used me up.  Though I do think I'm registered on languish as a female.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Tonitrus

The Skyranger touches down in Lagos, unfortunately in the darkness.  Night fights in the city are never pretty....

First hostile spotted is a reaper...this is good, only in that it means sectoids won't be mind-fucking our non-HWP supported squadron.

The team opens up on the target with the new rookie Barrister Boy taking it down.  Numerous screams are heard in the dark, and one floater is spotted nearby shooting down civilians...

The Skyranger's LZ is an opening on the left side of the map, with a warehouse off the nose, and small store off the back (as seen above).  A street separates the LZ from a line of of buildings on the opposite side...Too Old & Too Fat spots another reaper and floater on that far side, and is shot dead, but the rest of the team guns them down at long range:

Half the squad prepares to advance cautiously across the road, while Lusti leads a small team to clear the warehouse adjacent to the LZ.  Lusti spots a hostile in the warehouse, but like a typical Navy puke, can't score a hit...Prinseca follows up with the kill shot. 

While advancing across the road, FunkMunk spots a floater through a grocery via a blown-out wall, and window, and scores a lucky shot, killing it.

Clearing the outside of the warehouse, Raz spots another reaper...with an innocent bystander in the way...

Raz opens fire on it anyway, but only hits it once, not enough for a reaper.  The reaper then plows through the civilian, forcing Raz to back off, but grumbler moves in and dispatches it.

Lucky Funk!  While continuing to advance across the road, he takes fire at close range from a hidden floater near the small store...BB, his back-up man, takes it down.

Meanwhile, Raz spots another floater in the street, and is forced to take cover behind the dead reaper...but Korea comes out, firing on it at full auto from long range and only manages to shoot Raz in the back, killing him.  Murphy says...friendly fire, isn't.

Things continue going downhill....while advancing across the wide-open road, Hans and Lady Europa are killed by floaters hiding among the tangle of buildings on the far side.  Korea manages to flush one out for 11B4V to shoot down.

Lusti's team, having cleared the first warehouse, advance across the road to another one.  There, Princesca recklessly storms in, killing a reaper...only to then be shot down by another hidden floater.  An enraged Lusti eventually avenges his fallen teammate.

5 X-COM troopers dead, as well as 9 civilians.  Not the best of outcomes.

Jacob

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 08, 2012, 03:56:41 PM
It's a massacree!

Well maybe there'll be room on the squad for the two of us, then.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Tonitrus

Quote from: Jacob on June 08, 2012, 04:06:46 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 08, 2012, 03:56:41 PM
It's a massacree!

Well maybe there'll be room on the squad for the two of us, then.

Jacob was on that last mission, just didn't meet any direct action.  I think he was the rear guy on Lusti's team.

And I need to start keeping a running KIA tally, or I might easily accidentally repeat some names.

PDH

Terror attacks early in the game are hell.  Hopefull Scientist PDH will have plasma guns in short order (before he gets drafted) for our fighting men and women.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Tonitrus

Quote from: PDH on June 08, 2012, 04:29:13 PM
Terror attacks early in the game are hell.  Hopefull Scientist PDH will have plasma guns in short order for our fighting men and women.

He only just now perfected the laser rifle.  What the troops really want is for him to finish the alien alloys so he can get some personal armor rolling off the line.  And he is slacking on the medkits.  :mad:

FunkMonk

I'm an ace shot, bitches. All that time in Team Fortress Classic paid off. :cool:
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

katmai

Quote from: FunkMonk on June 08, 2012, 04:55:01 PM
I'm an ace shot, bitches. All that time in Team Fortress Classic paid off. :cool:

watch you get killed next mission. :lol:
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

grumbler

I am enjoying this, Tonitrus.  Thanks for posting it.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

FunkMonk

Quote from: katmai on June 08, 2012, 05:08:30 PM
Quote from: FunkMonk on June 08, 2012, 04:55:01 PM

watch you get killed next mission. :lol:

All too likely.  :(
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.