Started by citizen k, June 05, 2012, 10:15:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Habbaku

Quote from: DGuller on June 06, 2012, 01:52:06 AM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 06, 2012, 01:46:51 AM
So right to work states are all run on the basis of crony capitalism?  :hmm:
There is a noticeable correlation.

Link?
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Hansmeister

Quote from: DGuller on June 06, 2012, 01:33:17 AM
It is connected because the two are moneyed interests at odds with each other.  If you destroy one, the other one gets more power.  You seem to think, almost to the point of assumption, that unions are the worst evil, and should be defeated regardless of who you have to ally with.

Seedy: you're right.  84 is how much teachers make in NY.  Wisconsin is 73K/year.

Yi, you're actually close, 82k is the average public sector compensation in Wisconsin, vs 67k average private sector compensation.

The real reason the Unions fought so hard is the one they don't actually want to talk about: forced Unionization.  Since Walker's reforms were implemented public sector membership has been cut more than in half in Wisconsin.

So Seedy, why should people to be forced to join a political organization as a condition of employment?  Maybe we should force people to join the NRA?  Or the Chamber of Commerce?

Too bad you don't believe in freedom of association, it doesn't go well with your brownshirt.

DGuller

Quote from: Habbaku on June 06, 2012, 01:57:29 AM
Quote from: DGuller on June 06, 2012, 01:52:06 AM
There is a noticeable correlation.

Link?
http://www.iwatchnews.org/2012/03/19/8423/grading-nation-how-accountable-your-state
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Right-to-work_law#U.S._states_with_right-to-work_laws

Again, it's difficult to draw meaningful conclusions from this due to multicollinearity.  So many phenomena which have two states overlap neatly with the blue/red state divide.

Ideologue

Quote from: CountDeMoney on June 05, 2012, 10:59:47 PM
Quote from: Valmy on June 05, 2012, 10:55:30 PM
Public Sector Unions = Worst Idea Evah

Explain.

No, he's right.  Public sector unions should be forbidden.  Just like in the USSR.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Admiral Yi

Your iwatchnews link doesn't work for me Guller.

chipwich

I strongly supported Barrett but am glad to see the massive hubris of Wisconsin Democrats punished.

jimmy olsen

They should have waited until November, they deserve what they get for their stupidity.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

CountDeMoney

Quote from: DGuller on June 06, 2012, 01:33:17 AM
Quote from: Berkut on June 06, 2012, 01:22:39 AM
Quote from: DGuller on June 06, 2012, 01:07:06 AM
I'll say the same thing I said when the shit originally hit the fan.  Public employee unions are bad, but crony capitalism is worse.  If the cost of crushing the first is to further empower the second, it's a bad trade.  It's like supporting Nazis to combat communism.

Well, in this case there isn't anyone else to combat the communists. It's not like the Dems are going to take on the unions, right?

I am glad Walker stomped on the public service unions. His being supported by the "we all should get as much democracy as we can buy" crowd is pretty distasteful, but that doesn't change the fact that I think what he has done on this issue is a good thing. I don't accept that even if "crony capitalism" is worse, it is somehow connected to public service unions. I can and am happy to be against both of them (at least I think I am - I suspect "crony capitalism" doesn't really mean anything though).
It is connected because the two are moneyed interests at odds with each other.  If you destroy one, the other one gets more power.  You seem to think, almost to the point of assumption, that unions are the worst evil, and should be defeated regardless of who you have to ally with.

What the really cool thing is, and what makes guys like Berkut jizz their teabags, is how Republicans can use public policy to outlaw and eliminated the only organizations that actively support Democratic campaigns with money, while Democrats have no equal ability to legislate away the corporations and special interests groups that fund Republican campaigns.

So while guys like Walker can use legislation to virtually eliminate the AFSCME in one year, unfortunately a Democratic governor can't use public policy to legislate away American Crossroads.

And in the world of Citizens United, the only campaign money left will be Republican money.  Yay.

Phillip V

Voters in California Approve Pension Cuts

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/06/07/us/politics/voters-in-california-approve-pension-cuts-results-suggest.html
QuoteAs Wisconsin residents voted on Tuesday not to recall Gov. Scott Walker — who has become an enemy of labor unions nationwide — two California cities dealt blows of their own to organized labor.

In both San Diego and San Jose, voters appeared to overwhelmingly approve ballot initiatives designed to help balance ailing municipal budgets by cutting retirement benefits for city workers.

Around 70 percent of San Jose voters favored the pension reform measure, with almost 80 percent of precincts reporting. In San Diego, 67 percent had supported a similar pension reform measure, with more than 65 percent of precincts reporting.

"This is really important to our taxpayers," Chuck Reed, the mayor of San Jose, said Tuesday night. "We'll get control over these skyrocketing retirement costs and be able to provide the services they are paying for."

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Hansmeister on June 06, 2012, 02:03:40 AM
So Seedy, why should people to be forced to join a political organization as a condition of employment?  Maybe we should force people to join the NRA?  Or the Chamber of Commerce?

Too bad you don't believe in freedom of association, it doesn't go well with your brownshirt.

I dunno, Hansy;  would I get one of those shiny NRA decals?

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Phillip V on June 06, 2012, 06:05:31 AM
In both San Diego and San Jose, voters appeared to overwhelmingly approve ballot initiatives designed to help balance ailing municipal budgets by cutting retirement benefits for city workers.

Around 70 percent of San Jose voters favored the pension reform measure, with almost 80 percent of precincts reporting. In San Diego, 67 percent had supported a similar pension reform measure, with more than 65 percent of precincts reporting.

"This is really important to our taxpayers," Chuck Reed, the mayor of San Jose, said Tuesday night. "We'll get control over these skyrocketing retirement costs and be able to provide the services they are paying for."
[/quote]

Cool;  can the San Diego government turn around and curb Kaiser Permanente's retirement benefits for its workers?

Ed Anger

I dislike walker but loathe Ed Schultz and MSNBC. So a victory for me last night as Fatty had a look on his face that made me giggle.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Ed Anger on June 06, 2012, 06:30:24 AM
I dislike walker but loathe Ed Schultz and MSNBC. So a victory for me last night as Fatty had a look on his face that made me giggle.

Who would you rather see naked in your pool;  Ed Schultz or Martin Brashir?  It's Marty, isn't it?  It's the accent.

Razgovory

So how much did each vote for Walker cost?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Razgovory

So a lot of what I'm seeing is that public sector employees shouldn't be paid very much because the sacred tax payer has to pay them.   Do I get that correct?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017