Jamestown, Let's Not Starve to Death: An English Colonization AAR

Started by sbr, June 03, 2012, 01:48:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Habbaku

Quote from: grumbler on June 03, 2012, 01:34:59 PM
Great game.

One thing you can do to get some help early on is sent bog-standard colonists to live with the natives by sending them to a village.  A year (I think) later, they re-appear as farming or fishing experts.  If you go to war with the natives in the meantime, though, they are lost.

You will also get friendly natives to occasionally show up and join your colony.  They are better farmers and fishermen than your colonists, but cannot be trained (until much later, when a FF choice converts them to regular settlers).

This is mostly right, but not entirely.

People sent to live among the Indians are instantly trained--there is no wait-period.  What you are thinking of are missionaries, who establish a mission in the camp (but are lost forever after).  If good relations are maintained with the Indians (they will approach your settlement asking for food and other goods every so often--give them what they want), then they will send people to live with you.

The Indian converts are some of the most useful workers in the early game for the reasons Grumbler mentions; they are only slightly worse than expert farmers/fishermen.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Habbaku

Quote from: CountDeMoney on June 03, 2012, 01:43:19 PM
Hilarious.  This crowd can't stick together to play modern MMORPG for 2 weeks before getting bored, but you're all dick deep into 8-bit SNES bullshit.

Pfft.  This AAR will peter out eventually just like Zoup's HOI one or the latest DF attempt.  Give it time.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

The Brain

Quote from: Habbaku on June 03, 2012, 02:46:12 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on June 03, 2012, 01:43:19 PM
Hilarious.  This crowd can't stick together to play modern MMORPG for 2 weeks before getting bored, but you're all dick deep into 8-bit SNES bullshit.

Pfft.  This AAR will peter out eventually just like Zoup's HOI one or the latest DF attempt.  Give it time.

Jamestown. Not Jones. :contract:
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Habbaku

-J. R. R. Tolkien

sbr

Once news of the discovery of The Fountain of Youth reached London there were herds of people clamoring to join us in the New World, some very valuable, others not so much.

Joining the Carpenter on the docks for the caravel, the Discovery were the following immigrants:

Expert Fisherman
Expert Lumberjack
Expert Farmer
Seasoned Scout
Master Weaver
Indentured Servant
Indentured Servant
Indentured Servant

The first three are self explanatory.  We don't currently have any access to cotton, so the Weaver will have to toil like the other peasants but we will need to make finding land suitable for cotton a high priority in order to take advantage of his skills.  At least 2 of the Servants will go off to live with the Natives for a time, hopefully to learn some skills that can't be learned in Europe.

The Discovery arrived in London with her small load of furs.

Even though Discovery had set sail in order to bring the Carpenter back, he didn't make the first trip.  We decided the Farmer and the Lumberjack were more important at the moment.  We will need the food and the Carpenter can't do much without any Timber.

The colonist that was rescued from the ancient ruins had arrived in Jamestown and set to work building up the timber supply.  Unfortunately Jamestown doesn't produce enough food so the trapper had to start working the farm fields in order to feed both workers.

Once the Farmer and Lumberjack arrive there will be plenty of food.  The one colonist can go back to trapping for furs while the second colonist will set off to establish a second colony.

The Discovery had a quick turn-around in New England, loaded another small load of furs and headed back home.  After selling the furs the carpenter came aboard and they brought aboard a load of tools.  The Fisherman can't be put to work until we have built a Docks and we will need plenty of Timber and a Carpenter to do that.

While the Discovery was sailing to and fro relations with the Natives were improving.  The Arawaks twice stopped by with small gifts.

In return we honored them by not looting and destroying one of their burial sites.

Shortly after proving our cultural superiority to ourselves it was confirmed as we made contact with our first other Europeans.  Oui, Oui.

sbr

Our English Soldier is still exploring the interior of the new continent.

Shortly after emerging from stealing beads and trinkets from an abandoned teepee our Soldier came across a French Scout.  The Frog insisted we withdraw all forces from the vicinity of some silly French outhouse colony.

Like good Englishmen we told him to go eat cheese.  The Frog immediately back-tracked and offered to partition the new lands between us.

We didn't like this idea either so we started insulting the Frenchman's mother and he folded like a cheap suit.

:D

I had no problem extorting money so I took the payment and used it to purchase a second Caravel, the Godspeed.  The Godspeed loaded the Weaver and an Indentured Servant and set sail for New England.  At the same time the Discovery had returned to London with a full load of Timber.  The Expert Lumberjack was cutting wood too fast and we were going to lose the excess since we didn't have a warehouse built yet.  The lumber wasn't worth much but it is better than getting nothing for it.  The Fisherman and Scout boarded the Discovery, ready to head to Jamestown.

The Arawaks, awed by our handling of the French came bearing more gifts hoping to not meet the same fate.

Once the Scout made landfall he set off at top speed even further into the interior and just northwest of where the Soldier made contact with the French, the Scout ran into a Dutch trader.

The Dutch seemed to think this land was theirs to do what they wanted with and we made it clear that we disagreed.

The Dutch Trader then offered a similar partition deal as the French.

Of course they backed their demands with more backbone than the Frogs and when we said 'No', they said 'War'.

Solmyr

You should send the scout exploring when you get to him, scouts tend to get better results from "goody huts".

The Brain

Zanza

Quote from: sbr on June 04, 2012, 07:00:18 PM
If you want to save space on your caravel, you can just give the tools to the carpenter in London (there should be menu option for that) and take a second settler with you.

Valmy

I liked whenever you built something your dudes would cheer.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

CountDeMoney

I'm waiting for the AAR for Oregon Trail, people.  16-bitards.

The Brain

Valmy

Quote from: CountDeMoney on June 05, 2012, 03:16:14 PM
I'm waiting for the AAR for Oregon Trail, people.  16-bitards.

We have already done that.  Jaron or Ed Anger did it I think.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Sophie Scholl

Reading through this convinced me to pull the trigger and purchase Colonization and Conquest of the New World, another favorite.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."