News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

NCAA Football '12-13

Started by grumbler, June 02, 2012, 03:24:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: Valmy on January 06, 2013, 01:29:22 AM
I don't know man.  The enormous prestige the Big 10 enjoyed for so long as the 'best conference' was a real pain for Texas as far as their players getting respect and rep for national awards and the Big 10 schools would swoop in and get great Texas players from time to time.  And now it is even more so and on steroids with the ESPN hype machine behind the SEC.  I think it does impact Texas.  But to be fair to your point, if Texas wins all its games it really does not matter that much what conference Texas is in.

There are plenty of recruits to go around, and IMO, Texas gets hurt more there by those promises/"decisions" that Mack makes ("You'll be the only RB we take in this class!" or similar.  I think he may have stopped doing that though.  I hope so.) than any sort of SEC hype machine out there. Why limit yourself?  Awards, I'm not too concerned about.  To each their own there.  Anyhow.  Aside from all that, it's not like ESPN is going to ignore Texas if they start winning.  They threw down for a Longhorns TV channel, for gods sake.  The Horns win, they hype the Horns, they can make some dollars.

Speaking of LHN, you see Cox and Charter have picked it up now?

Valmy

Quote from: MadBurgerMaker on January 06, 2013, 03:26:30 AM
There are plenty of recruits to go around, and IMO, Texas gets hurt more there by those promises/"decisions" that Mack makes ("You'll be the only RB we take in this class!" or similar.  I think he may have stopped doing that though.  I hope so.) than any sort of SEC hype machine out there. Why limit yourself?  Awards, I'm not too concerned about.  To each their own there.  Anyhow.  Aside from all that, it's not like ESPN is going to ignore Texas if they start winning.  They threw down for a Longhorns TV channel, for gods sake.  The Horns win, they hype the Horns, they can make some dollars.

Speaking of LHN, you see Cox and Charter have picked it up now?

Yeah I saw that a bit ago.  In about a decade Time Warner will finally get it!

I am not really sure how I limit myself by watching Big 12 games and being entertained by them.  I am just saying the conference does make a bit of a difference, certainly Texas had problems related to the SWC's weakness in its death throes. 
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: Valmy on January 06, 2013, 03:35:18 AM
Yeah I saw that a bit ago.  In about a decade Time Warner will finally get it!

Did they ever get the NFL Network?  Time Warner seems like they can be incredibly stubborn. 

QuoteI am not really sure how I limit myself by watching Big 12 games and being entertained by them.  I am just saying the conference does make a bit of a difference, certainly Texas had problems related to the SWC's weakness in its death throes.

I don't see how you're limiting yourself either.  Conference fanboys who do things like chant their conference name and hold up the records of teams other than their own as some sort of validation are suckers though.  If you want to cheer for Big 12 teams for some reason, that's your thing.  Please don't start a "Big 12! Big 12!" chant though unless it's at Kyle Field and you've gone back in time to Thanksgiving of last year.  Then let me borrow your time machine.

As far as the SWC goes, I don't know what kind of problems it caused Texas at the end there, since the Horns weren't particularly good anyway for a lot of those years.  1995 though, when they beat TAMU in that last game for the SWC championship, they got into the Sugar Bowl and were a top 10 team, despite getting annihilated by the Domers and tying OU, where they got skullfucked by VaTech.  vOv  Doesn't seem like they got screwed or anything there.  They just lost.

E:  Damn, looking at wiki for those SWC years brought me to that 1990 season and the Cotton Bowl...thing....against Miami.  They were #3 there. :bleeding:  I didn't know Coker was the OU OC that year. Huh.

MadBurgerMaker

Has Chip Kelly actually accepted any NFL position?  What's all this shit about the Browns being all excited about his offensive scheme and all that? 

jimmy olsen

Nope, he had a long meeting with the Eagles today though.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: jimmy olsen on January 06, 2013, 04:32:16 AM
Nope, he had a long meeting with the Eagles today though.

Has he met with any other teams?  I haven't been following this at all.

jimmy olsen

As far as I know he's only met with the Browns and the Eagles.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

sbr

The Browns have now ruled him out and now it is apparently down to the Eagles or back to the Ducks.  The feeling on Twitter is that there is a pretty good chance he ends up staying in Oregon which would likely end any NFL interest in the future.  I hope that happens, but it would still surprise me.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: sbr on January 06, 2013, 01:59:29 PM
The Browns have now ruled him out and now it is apparently down to the Eagles or back to the Ducks.  The feeling on Twitter is that there is a pretty good chance he ends up staying in Oregon which would likely end any NFL interest in the future.  I hope that happens, but it would still surprise me.

I'll never understand why somebody who develops a successful program would give up the easy life of coaching on the collegiate level and go to that pressure cooker insanity of the NFL.
You're a god on earth on campus, the kids still listen to you as a coach, and you can go golfing after practice.  In the NFL, you sleep in your office, just to be fired three seasons later.

sbr

Quote from: CountDeMoney on January 06, 2013, 02:02:38 PM
Quote from: sbr on January 06, 2013, 01:59:29 PM

I'll never understand why somebody who develops a successful program would give up the easy life of coaching on the collegiate level and go to that pressure cooker insanity of the NFL.
You're a god on earth on campus, the kids still listen to you as a coach, and you can go golfing after practice.  In the NFL, you sleep in your office, just to be fired three seasons later.

I don't understand it either, but I am very much a Quality of LifeTM guy.  I suppose anyone who is competitive and motivated enough to get to the point that they have the possibility of coaching in the NFL is a completely different beast that I can't relate to at all.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: sbr on January 06, 2013, 02:06:10 PM
I don't understand it either, but I am very much a Quality of LifeTM guy.  I suppose anyone who is competitive and motivated enough to get to the point that they have the possibility of coaching in the NFL is a completely different beast that I can't relate to at all.

Yeah, and there's a substantial difference in the QoL between the two, and there are personality types drawn to them;  that's why you see types like Spurrier and Holtz try the pro game and then get the fuck back out, the Bobby Bowdens not even bothering with it, and the Belichick types that stay straight with the pros.  I mean, could you imagine Bill Belichick in some recruit's living room talking to parents?  "Erhhhm, ermm, grumble mumble."

sbr

Twitterverse is blowing up with news Chip kelly is staying at Oregon.

http://www2.registerguard.com/cms/index.php/duck-football/comments/chip-kelly-will-remain-at-oregon-after-multiple-nfl-interviews/

QuoteChip Kelly will remain Oregon's head coach after interviewing for at least three NFL jobs since Thursday's Fiesta Bowl.

UO sources confirmed the news, originally reported by Adam Schefter of ESPN.

Kelly interviewed with the Cleveland Browns and the Buffalo Bills on Friday, and was thought to be strongly considering an offer from the Browns that evening.

But he stuck by a commitment to speak with the Philadelphia Eagles on Saturday, and by this morning was said to be weighing whether to sign with the Eagles or return to Oregon.

CountDeMoney

sbr

Quote from: CountDeMoney on January 06, 2013, 11:47:29 PM
Smart move.

I agree it was the smart move, unexpected though.  It sounds like he has pissed off a lot of NFL people and I'm not sure how many NCAA jobs are better than the Oregon job right now (potential sanctions not withstanding).  He may actually be here for a long time.

I'm way too happy about this.  :blush:

From Twiiter:

Quote@A_Jude: MT @mgwalks: Sal Paolantonio: "Kelly and agent overplayed their hand... irreparable damage to his (NFL) rep."

A_Jude is a Ducks beat writer for the Oregonian (Portland paper).  mgwalks is some sort of blogger I had not heard of before tonight.  You all know SalPal.

CountDeMoney

It's a sweet gig;  I certainly wouldn't want to trade it in for the Browns or the Bills, or any other NFL soul-crushing woodchipper of a job. 
He could probably be there as long as he wants, as long as he continues to get the kids he's getting in recruiting.