EUROVISION 2009

Started by Syt, May 07, 2009, 09:54:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Viking

First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Brazen

I don't want to watch any entries prior to the event so as not to ruin the surprise and delight/shock and horror. Myself and the usual suspects do of course have our annual party scheduled for tomorrow and will be gathering beer and snacks of many nations to accompany the event.

Fireblade

America needs to join Eurovision. Our soulless pop acts would dominate every year.

Viking

Quote from: Fireblade on May 14, 2009, 08:55:00 AM
America needs to join Eurovision. Our soulless pop acts would dominate every year.

Britain tried that already. It doesn't work.

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Valmy

Quote from: Neil on May 07, 2009, 10:17:18 AM
I blame this for inspiring American Idol.

Which went on to inspire something far worse: Canadian Idol.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Zanza

I am so happy that the German TV tax gestapo hasn't caught me yet and I don't pay for that shit.

Ape

I refuse to watch TV or read any newspapers until this crap is over  <_<

Liep

Serbia deserves to win for the great bleached afro.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

garbon

I had a bleached afro once. I didn't look that scary.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Liep

What's up with the hosts? She's on drugs and he's a douche.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Liep

Denmark is through! Suck on it Danophobes.

Viking

http://www.economist.com/daily/chartgallery/displayStory.cfm?story_id=13664714

QuoteEurovision song contest
Go east young man

May 14th 2009
From Economist.com
Longitude is a useful guide to the likely winner of the Eurovision song contest

THE 54th Eurovision song contest will be held in Moscow on Saturday May 16th, when 15 finalists compete in the original televised singing competition. In theory the best performance delivered in Russia's capital will win first prize. In practice, other factors are at play. The 42 participating countries will allocate points according to the wishes of their public and of judges. Increasingly geography helps to determine the outcome. A look at the longitude of the capital cities of countries that have won the contest in the past two decades shows a marked move to the east as more countries from the former Communist block have joined the contest. Neighbours, especially in eastern Europe, award most points to each other. Disgruntled commentators in the west of Europe have cried foul (Ireland's Terry Wogan, a long-serving BBC commentator on the event, has quit the show). But the shift to the east is unlikely to reverse.

Viking

http://www.vg.no/musikk/grand-prix/artikkel.php?artid=572755

This link takes you to a flash program where you can see how many points each country has given each other country.

"Poeng landet har gitt" - Points the country has given
"Poeng landet får" - Points the country receives
"Differanse mellom gir/får" - Difference between give/receive
"Poeng motatt år for år" - Points received each year
"MGP vinner år for år" - Eurovision winner by year

Check out the points received by the Czech Republic

Viking

Quote from: Tyr on May 07, 2009, 10:16:02 AM
The Brit is too black thus will be hated by the Euros and hence we will once again enjoy last place  :bowler:
We should really join Italy in sitting out this crap.

QuoteIf I'm free on the night I usually skip the singing part and just watch the voting, which is alot more entertaining, predicting who each country will give their points to.  :D

Totally.

Isn't there going to be no Terry Wogan this year though? I'm sure last year was his last...or maybe its this....or my memory is so bad maybe it was even 2 years ago. Its going to suck majorly :(

He quit and then ranted about neighbour voting

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/7767202.stm

QuoteAre you leaving because of the voting controversies?
I've been slightly disappointed at the UK showing over the last few years. The fact that of course you'd have to be deaf, dumb and blind not to realise that since the eastern European countries have come in the voting has changed not necessarily for the best.

Western European countries, I feel, have got very little chance of winning it. However, this year may tell a different story with the might of Andrew Lloyd Webber and Graham Norton behind it.

I think it's an opportune time for me to leave because it might be the UK's turn next year.