And we're back!

Main Menu

Did You Cheat in School?

Started by Admiral Yi, May 31, 2012, 05:05:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

We don't need no stinkin' question.

Yes, I cheated to improve my own grade.
9 (24.3%)
Yes, I helped others to improve their grade.
8 (21.6%)
I saw others cheat but turned a blind eye.
13 (35.1%)
I turned in others I saw cheating.
3 (8.1%)
I never saw anyone cheat.
4 (10.8%)

Total Members Voted: 37

Admiral Yi

Quote from: DGuller on May 31, 2012, 06:03:43 PM
If aiding the cheaters counts, then I did lots of that as well.  I always told other people that they're welcome to cheat off me as much as they wanted, just as long as they didn't make me do anything to actively aid them.  It got a little ridiculous on BC Calculus final AP exam, though, when it seemed like there was a gravitational field right where I was sitting, and way too many combo desk-chairs seemed to converge around me.  I even had to turn down an offer of $50 for help in cheating, because I felt that would be crossing the line.

Advanced Math (had a lot of calc and trig in it) was the class I helped three guys pass, the center piece of my cheating career.

Gave it a try once in French but I couldn't come up with a system that worked in short answer tests.

katmai

Pretty much yes. moving around for almost every year in the 80's meant had a lot of different schools. Moving to western PA from Alaska my mother wasn't impressed by the public school so only alternative was Immaculate Conception catholic elementary was only other choice.
Moving to San Francisco a year later meant I went back to Public school.
Another year, another move to central PA once again wasn't impressed with the public school so ended up going to alternative private school that had rotating electives beyond the basic classes of English, math, history, writing.
And finally after moving to Seattle and year at Hamilton Middle School I went to Homeschooling, which for me meant my mother had teachers/tutors from her job that taught me math and sciences (they were engineers at a testing laboratory) while pretty much read on my own with testing from my mother when it came to History and Lit.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

katmai

Quote from: HVC on May 31, 2012, 06:08:52 PM

i was saying you were calling your siblings (do you have any? lol) idiots who had to cheat off you.

15 year old in college? that was either cool or annoying.

My siblings didn't live anywhere near me. :P

and it was cool and annoying, tough to hit on the hot college girls when you don't even have a drivers license.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Barrister

I cheated once.  In law school.  :o

At the time it just seemed like such a bullshit assignment.  It was 1997.  I think we had to research some stuff on the new-fangled internet and then submit our findings on a disk.  This had very little to do with law, it was simple but fairly tedious to do.  It was the kind of thing you could do in 30 seconds with google, but google hadn't been invented yet.  It wasn't even a paper - I think we had to submit a bunch of hyperlinks.

Everyone agreed this was a bullshit assignment, so there was rampant copying of what other people had researched.

Now, not being incredibly stupid, I cut-and-pasted from about three people's research, threw in a little of my own, and called it a day.

A half dozen of my classmates were incredibly stupid however, just cut-and-paste the entire file, and got caught.  There were enough of them the school didn't want to look bad by expelling all of them.  I forget what their ultimate punishment was.

So, in hindsight it was a dumb thing to do given the possible consequences, but I didn't feel it harmed my academic integrity one bit.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Fate

Yeah. In college you could bring graphing calculators into most science-ish exams. I'd write programs for it that would have all of the notes, formulas, and even download programs that did the calculations for you if you put in the variables properly. Physics, biochemistry, chemistry...  :blush:

I really wonder what the professors were smoking. They never even thought to make the students reset the batteries. My high school was all over that shit.

Zoupa

I cheated a bunch of times, even in university.

I don't feel bad about it either.

Razgovory

One time I brought a pair of binoculars to school to read the periodic table posted on the wall for a test.  It was just a joke, and I gave them to the teacher before the test when she saw what I could do with it.  That's the closest I ever came cheating on something.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Ed Anger

Quote from: Zoupa on May 31, 2012, 07:22:19 PM
I cheated a bunch of times, even in university.

I don't feel bad about it either.

tsk tsk.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Razgovory on May 31, 2012, 07:25:00 PM
One time I brought a pair of binoculars to school to read the periodic table posted on the wall for a test.  It was just a joke, and I gave them to the teacher before the test when she saw what I could do with it.  That's the closest I ever came cheating on something.

Surprised you could use them, what with the crash helmet and all.

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Grey Fox

Yes. There's a person or 2 that should have my name on their diploma.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Monoriu

No.  I did reasonably well at school, so there was no need to cheat.  Cheaters face expulsion from school.  There was no way it would be worth it. 

Valmy

If you ain't cheatin' you ain't tryin'

I didn't really try that hard in school so no.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

stjaba

Quote from: Fate on May 31, 2012, 06:45:43 PM
Yeah. In college you could bring graphing calculators into most science-ish exams. I'd write programs for it that would have all of the notes, formulas, and even download programs that did the calculations for you if you put in the variables properly. Physics, biochemistry, chemistry...  :blush:

This seems to be common among pre-med students I knew.  :hmm:

Razgovory

Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 31, 2012, 07:49:50 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on May 31, 2012, 07:25:00 PM

Surprised you could use them, what with the crash helmet and all.

No crash helmet.  Had an old Brodie helmet that I wore sometimes.  I was well protected from German 7.7 artillery bombardment.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017