And we're back!

Main Menu

Did You Cheat in School?

Started by Admiral Yi, May 31, 2012, 05:05:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

We don't need no stinkin' question.

Yes, I cheated to improve my own grade.
9 (24.3%)
Yes, I helped others to improve their grade.
8 (21.6%)
I saw others cheat but turned a blind eye.
13 (35.1%)
I turned in others I saw cheating.
3 (8.1%)
I never saw anyone cheat.
4 (10.8%)

Total Members Voted: 37

HVC

Never cheated, but i've come really close to plagerizing a few times.

I've helped some people cheat. but only in high school.

*edit* and i guess doing single work in a group might count as cheating. if so, then yes, i've cheated.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Capetan Mihali

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 31, 2012, 05:46:55 PM
What kinds of things do youse guys mean by gray areas?

Maybe "accidentally" seeing the person in front of you's test answers without making any independent effort to.  That's actually the only one that comes to mind.  And that was really just for multiple choice tests.
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

Capetan Mihali

Which really is cheating, just the kind you can get away with.
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

Malthus

Quote from: katmai on May 31, 2012, 05:46:22 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 31, 2012, 05:38:24 PM
Quote from: katmai on May 31, 2012, 05:17:11 PM
Nope never cheated, and ain't no snitch like Seedy.

Hey, it was difficult enough to spend the time hating on the really smart kids, didn't have time to let the cheaters increase the pack.  So fuck 'em.

See as one of the really smart kids i felt bad for the idiots who needed to cheat, you know like Caliga.  :)

Yeah, see what happens? Cheat and you end up in management.  :D
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

HVC

Quote from: Malthus on May 31, 2012, 05:58:06 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 31, 2012, 05:38:24 PM
Quote from: katmai on May 31, 2012, 05:17:11 PM
Nope never cheated, and ain't no snitch like Seedy.

Hey, it was difficult enough to spend the time hating on the really smart kids, didn't have time to let the cheaters increase the pack.  So fuck 'em.

See as one of the really smart kids i felt bad for the idiots who needed to cheat, you know like Caliga.  :)

Yeah, see what happens? Cheat and you end up in management.  :D
Well as management you take credit for other peoples work, so i guess it really is just a continuation of school cheating :D
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".

Caliga

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 31, 2012, 05:36:07 PM
Tell me what you did and I'll tell you where it falls.
I don't think I ever plagiarized anything nor copied anyone else's homework, but I usually didn't do any homework.  What I did instead was I kept a bunch of homework sheets and I would rotate through and doctor them daily so they looked 'new', so when teach came around to check our homework it looked like I'd done my homework when I actually didn't.

I also don't know if you would consider this cheating, but for my senior project I wrote a text advenuture game (think Zork, Planetfall, etc.) in Borland Turbo Pascal 6.  Although the story and puzzles were original, I 'borrowed' most of the parser from a friend of mine who had written a text adventure earlier, just for fun.  I did refine his parser a bit but the core design was essentially unchanged.  I failed to mention that I did this to the teacher.... she however failed to ask. :)
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

garbon

I cheated once on a test in high school that asked us to write down the page numbers that various quotes had come from. I just full on opened my textbook.  Pretty much everyone failed (I got a C) and the teacher threw out the test.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

DGuller

If aiding the cheaters counts, then I did lots of that as well.  I always told other people that they're welcome to cheat off me as much as they wanted, just as long as they didn't make me do anything to actively aid them.  It got a little ridiculous on BC Calculus final AP exam, though, when it seemed like there was a gravitational field right where I was sitting, and way too many combo desk-chairs seemed to converge around me.  I even had to turn down an offer of $50 for help in cheating, because I felt that would be crossing the line.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Caliga on May 31, 2012, 06:03:17 PM
I don't think I ever plagiarized anything nor copied anyone else's homework, but I usually didn't do any homework.  What I did instead was I kept a bunch of homework sheets and I would rotate through and doctor them daily so they looked 'new', so when teach came around to check our homework it looked like I'd done my homework when I actually didn't.

This is not cheating.  It's rolling the dice.

QuoteI also don't know if you would consider this cheating, but for my senior project I wrote a text advenuture game (think Zork, Planetfall, etc.) in Borland Turbo Pascal 6.  Although the story and puzzles were original, I 'borrowed' most of the parser from a friend of mine who had written a text adventure earlier, just for fun.  I did refine his parser a bit but the core design was essentially unchanged.  I failed to mention that I did this to the teacher.... she however failed to ask. :)

This might or might not be cheating but I have no fucking idea what any of it means.

Caliga

Didn't you tell us that you were homeschooled? :hmm:

HVC

Quote from: Caliga on May 31, 2012, 06:05:38 PM
KAt and his siblings didn't get along :D

katmai

Public School, Catholic School, Private School, back to Public School and Finally Homeschooled before entering College at 15.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

katmai

Quote from: HVC on May 31, 2012, 06:06:36 PM

:huh:
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Caliga

Quote from: katmai on May 31, 2012, 06:07:10 PM
Public School, Catholic School, Private School, back to Public School and Finally Homeschooled before entering College at 15.
Is this because you moved around a lot?

HVC

Quote from: katmai on May 31, 2012, 06:07:28 PM
Quote from: HVC on May 31, 2012, 06:06:36 PM

:huh:
i was saying you were calling your siblings (do you have any? lol) idiots who had to cheat off you.

15 year old in college? that was either cool or annoying.