News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Duke Nukem For Never!

Started by Caliga, May 07, 2009, 06:58:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caliga

:lmfao:

Shouldn't those morons have learned by now, from such luminaries as Bethsoft, CA, and Paradox that it's ok to release an unfinished game now?  :bowler:

QuoteDuke Nukem developer goes bust

Work started on the title back in 1997
Veteran games developer 3D Realms has closed down because of a lack of funds.

Founded in 1987, the firm popularised the concept of shareware gaming and produced the seminal Duke Nukem and Wolfenstein 3D first-person shooters.

The company was working on a follow-up title, Duke Nukem Forever, which after being in development for 12 years has become the object of industry derision.

Publisher Take-Two says it will no longer fund development of the game but retains rights to the title.

"We can confirm that our relationship with 3D Realms for Duke Nukem Forever was a publishing arrangement, which did not include ongoing funds for development of the title," said Take-Two's Alan Lewis in a statement.

There has been no official comment from 3D Realms, other than a forum posting from the company's webmaster, Joe Siegler, who said: "It's not a marketing thing. It's true. I have nothing further to say at this time."

Other companies with links to 3D Realms or the Duke Nukem series were quick to distance themselves.

In a posting on Twitter, Apogee Software said it was "officially not affected by the situation at 3DRealms".

"Development of the Duke Nukem Trilogy is continuing as planned and further announcements about upcoming games will be made in the near future," the statement added.

Guardian newspaper games writer Steve Boxer said it was astonishing 3D Realms had not finished the game after more than a decade of development.

"It would have been nice to see another Duke Nukem game, but given they had more than 12 years it's just incompetence of the highest order.

"3D Realms made some great games in the past, but they got overtaken by the 21st Century.

"Sadly, Duke Nukem Forever was the most aptly named title in the history of games. Now, it's just Duke Nukem Never."
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Syt

What I didn't know was that there's a hi-res version of DN3D:
http://hrp.duke4.net/

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Caliga

It still looks like shit compared to a modern shooter.

Here's a list of things I liked about the original DN3D:

"Shake it, baby."

The End.

I'm not a big fan of the man vs. alien shooters, generally.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Caliga

katmai

Fear not syt, Caliga has been warned for his Duke Nukem hate.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Caliga

Quote from: katmai on May 07, 2009, 07:11:18 AM

It's not hate as much as it is love for historical shooters and stealth-shooters type games like Splinter Cell.

Slargos

Slargos

Quote from: katmai on May 07, 2009, 07:11:18 AM

:wub:

Crazy_Ivan80

Caliga

I fear you people are redirecting your anger at 3D Realms toward me.  :Embarrass:

Syt

Quote from: Crazy_Ivan80 on May 07, 2009, 07:41:34 AM
Quote from: Syt on May 07, 2009, 07:06:32 AM
Burn in HELL, Caliga! :mad:

that would be doom

I know.

That's one DOOMed space marine.

Cal, how can you not love Duke? :(
—Stephen Jay Gould

Caliga

I don't like his patronizing attitude toward women.  :mad:

Josquius

DN...Meh, important for its time but aged and irrelevant now. People stopped caring about DN Forever sometime back.
Elite 4 though... :(
██████
██████
██████

DisturbedPervert

Can't say I'm surprised, or that I even care.  Duke was fun back in the 90s before I discovered playing Quake online.

I do find the story itself to be intensely amusing though, these guys have set the standard for EPIC FAIL in gaming.