News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Duke Nukem For Never!

Started by Caliga, May 07, 2009, 06:58:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: chipwich on May 07, 2009, 03:40:16 PM
Near complete list of things that have happened since Duke Nukem Forever was announced http://duke.a-13.net/

:D

even the atom bomb didn't take that long! :D

grumbler

Quote from: Crazy_Ivan80 on May 08, 2009, 03:36:04 AM
The US announced it would put a man on the moon, and did so, in less time than it took for 3DR to announce it would make DNF and then fail to do so.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: grumbler on May 08, 2009, 08:22:56 AM
The US announced it would put a man on the moon, and did so, in less time than it took for 3DR to announce it would make DNF and then fail to do so.

roflol

Razgovory

Quote from: grumbler on May 08, 2009, 08:22:56 AM

3D realms had more powerful computers as well.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Syt

QuoteThings that have taken less time than Duke Nukem Forever's Development:
Pop Culture:

* The Beatles formed, released every single one of their albums and broke up. During this time they also toured the world several times.
    * Led Zeppelin released 7 albums, 9 singles, and toured around the world, crossing international borders 27 times (not counting mainland Europe.)

Science & Technology:

* The Wright brothers designed and flew the first airplane.
    * The theory of General Relativity.
    * The United States' entire program to put a man on the moon, from Kennedy's challenge to the landing.
    * The complete construction of many monumental buildings and engineering projects. To name a few-
          o The Empire State Building (Jan 1930 - May 1931)
          o The Channel Tunnel (Dec 1987 - May 1994)
          o The Golden Gate Bridge (Jan 1933 - May 1937)
          o The World Trade Center (Aug 1966 - April 1973)

Wars:

* The American War for Independence
    * The United States Civil War
    * World War I
    * The United State's involvement in the Vietnam War.
    * World War II and the entire Manhattan Project. Yes, even the complete development of the atomic bomb took less time.

:XD:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Scipio

Just think, if they had gone one more year, they would have tied the publishing period of Gibbon's Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

Syt

Considering that the entire GTA series was released during this timeframe also puts DNF kind of into perspective.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Caliga

Well, I guess the "management" at 3D Realms can look forward to never working in the industry again. ^_^
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

DisturbedPervert

The guy who's been the webmaster for 3dr for the past 16 years has set up a paypal account, so you can send him money now that he's out of work.

http://www.black-sabbath.com/news/index.html

Cecil

They should release a book over this period. "Biggest clusterfuck in game development ever".

Lucidor

They must have had a lot of money for this to go on forever, most other game companies would have gone bust if they were unable to come up with money from games for 16 years.