I for one welcome our new European Overlords

Started by Viking, May 07, 2009, 12:15:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

If we were doing a North American Union we should include France since they own those little islands in Canada.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Slargos

Quote from: Alatriste on May 07, 2009, 07:57:49 AM
Quote from: Slargos on May 07, 2009, 05:31:42 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 07, 2009, 05:23:21 AM
Gotta love the EU...

"Saddled with a debt-driven economy?  We'll take you if you're white.  Swarthy middle-eastern NATO members need not apply."

If that were only so.

But if you were right, the greeks, spaniards, italians and irish would've never been invited.

Spain is a swarthy south-western NATO member!

Besides, Turks and Spaniards (notice the capital 'T' and 'S' you Nazi) are pretty much teh same color. The idea Turks are dark skinned Arabs is a figment of the good Count's imagination (or a trap set to show we care about colors... a curious trap, since he's the one minding them but whatever)

Oh, there is that little question about numbers: Iceland, with its 300,000 inhabitants is just an small snack. Turkey with its fast growing 75,000,000 inhabitants, is almost too much to bite (and has borders with Syria, Iraq... )

Oh, and Iceland has rich fisheries too  :pirate

:jaron:

Your spanish inanities will not be tolerated for much longer, dunecoon.

ulmont

Quote from: Berkut on May 07, 2009, 10:01:28 AM
If the US was pushing a North American Union, then promptly said "Oh, we really just meant Canada!" then you would have a point. It would be a shitty, Martyesque stupid analogy point, but at least you would have *something*.

In addition, Mexico would have to be begging to join.

Personally, I am in favor of incorporating any nation that votes to become part of the US as one or more new states.  The last new states were added in the 1950s; it's time for more.

Eochaid

Quote from: Berkut on May 07, 2009, 10:01:28 AMIf the US was pushing a North American Union, then promptly said "Oh, we really just meant Canada!" then you would have a point. It would be a shitty, Martyesque stupid analogy point, but at least you would have *something*.

Work on it.

I think you missed the sarcasm. If the US were ever to do something of the kind, it would obviously be easier to integrate Canada than Mexico.

My point is that although some (a lot) of people in Europe reject Turket out of fear (not necessary xenophobia, even if many of them are racist and xenophobic), Turkey's adhesion would raise some real issues.

I'm pro-Turkey, but I still think some kinks would have to be worked out.

Kevin
It's been a while

Valmy

Quote from: ulmont on May 07, 2009, 10:07:16 AM

Personally, I am in favor of incorporating any nation that votes to become part of the US as one or more new states.  The last new states were added in the 1950s; it's time for more.

Puerto Rico will be the 51st State sometime soon.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

ulmont

Grey Fox

Quote from: Valmy on May 07, 2009, 10:09:29 AM

I don't know, Latinos are pretty lazy.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Valmy

Quote from: Grey Fox on May 07, 2009, 10:27:31 AM
I don't know, Latinos are pretty lazy.

Which is why they belong as part of modern America.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Valmy

Quote from: Ed Anger on May 07, 2009, 10:32:50 AM
:mad:

NO MORE TIMMAYS.

Soon there will be two Tim's in the Senate reading out newsarticles and going :w00t: and then sitting down.

Syt

Quote from: Valmy on May 07, 2009, 10:09:29 AM

They should discuss with Great Britain first if they can be number 51. ;)
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Ed Anger

Quote from: Valmy on May 07, 2009, 10:34:24 AM
Quote from: Ed Anger on May 07, 2009, 10:32:50 AM
:mad:

NO MORE TIMMAYS.

Soon there will be two Tim's in the Senate reading out newsarticles and going :w00t: and then sitting down.

I feel sick.  :(
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

garbon

Quote from: Crazy_Ivan80 on May 07, 2009, 07:40:29 AM
if you like the turks somuch, you make the 51st state of the Union.
but the recent escapades with the elections there, as well as the rasmussen thing have shown is that Turkey isn't ready yet to join the civilised world. And it might never be.

Well at least you are pretending that you have an objective stance.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valmy

Well I can certainly see why they would be hesitant to simply bring in a country with a huge population and the largest birth rate outside of French Guiana.  A country like that could be a dominant force in the Union and would dramatically weaken the influence of the other members, the larger ones particularly.  Then you also factor in things like the Kurds and Cyprus and other headaches.

Iceland is a tiny nobody so is therefore pretty safe.

Berkut

It kind of depends on what the point of the Union is.

Is it to keep the already wealthy Western nations wealthy in competition with the US/China? If so, yeah, don't dilute yourselves with those poor brown people.

Or is it something more?
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned