I for one welcome our new European Overlords

Started by Viking, May 07, 2009, 12:15:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Viking

http://www.reuters.com/article/marketsNews/idUSL645551620090506

QuoteIceland govt to introduce bill on EU talks -PM

REYKJAVIK, May 6 (Reuters) - Iceland's prime minister said on Wednesday the government would introduce a bill in parliament on authorising it to begin talks on joining the European Union.

"There will be a government resolution tabled (on EU talks)," Prime Minister Johanna Sigurdardottir said on state television. She did not give a timeframe for when the bill would be put forward.

Sigurdardottir's Social Democrats have been in favour of EU talks but their coalition partners, the Left-Greens, have been much more cautious about joining the bloc. Support for joining the EU and ultimately adopting the euro has risen sharply since Iceland's economic meltdown last October.

While I am no supporter of the lefties I am a staunch pro-european. Maybe this will force Norway in as well.

I for one welcome our new European Overlords.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Alatriste

In varietate concordia, baby (it means 'United in diversity'; Latin rules)

citizen k

Quote from: Alatriste on May 07, 2009, 02:38:30 AM

What's wrong with e pluribus unum?

Viking

Don't worry, we'll play the European game well. We are nothing like the "nice" scandinavians. We'll be as arrogant as the french, as big horese traders as the spanish and as unwilling to follow regulations as the greeks.

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Alatriste

Quote from: citizen k on May 07, 2009, 02:46:07 AM

What's wrong with e pluribus unum?

Well, 'In Varietate Concordia' is Europe's official motto, 'E Pluribus Unum' is one amongst several United States mottos.

Delirium

Iceland can't do any worse. I'm hoping everything that goes on might swing Sweden towards the Euro as well.
Come writers and critics who prophesize with your pen, and keep your eyes wide the chance won't come again; but don't speak too soon for the wheel's still in spin, and there's no telling who that it's naming. For the loser now will be later to win, cause the times they are a-changin'. -- B Dylan

Viking

Quote from: Delirium on May 07, 2009, 03:20:46 AM
Iceland can't do any worse. I'm hoping everything that goes on might swing Sweden towards the Euro as well.

We want the Euro, yes, but first we need to join the EU :contract:

Brazen

Do we want to take in more paupers? I don't want Bjork doing my plumbing  :mad:

Delirium

Obviously. I was talking about Sweden, Iceland is just a very small island.
Come writers and critics who prophesize with your pen, and keep your eyes wide the chance won't come again; but don't speak too soon for the wheel's still in spin, and there's no telling who that it's naming. For the loser now will be later to win, cause the times they are a-changin'. -- B Dylan

Viking

Quote from: Delirium on May 07, 2009, 04:26:09 AM
Obviously. I was talking about Sweden, Iceland is just a very small island.

Iceland is the worlds 18th largest island and the 2nd largest island in Europe, more than 30 times larger than Gotland (sweden's largest).

Eochaid

Quote from: Brazen on May 07, 2009, 04:26:02 AM
Do we want to take in more paupers? I don't want Bjork doing my plumbing  :mad:

It'll take a few years for Iceland to join the EU and in the meantime, hopefully, we'll have adopted the Lisbon Treaty. If we have, then Mazel Tov and welcome! If not,  :( <_<

Kevin
It's been a while

CountDeMoney

Gotta love the EU...

"Saddled with a debt-driven economy?  We'll take you if you're white.  Swarthy middle-eastern NATO members need not apply."

Slargos

Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 07, 2009, 05:23:21 AM
Gotta love the EU...

"Saddled with a debt-driven economy?  We'll take you if you're white.  Swarthy middle-eastern NATO members need not apply."

If that were only so.

But if you were right, the greeks, spaniards, italians and irish would've never been invited.

Eochaid

Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 07, 2009, 05:23:21 AM
Gotta love the EU...

If Iceland joined, it would be the smallest country in the Union (400,000 inhabitants). The country has a well-developped economy and infrastructures, doesn't have any human rights problems and their debts represent peanuts for the EU.

While I support the adhesion of Turkey if they can improve their HR record a bit, there are a number of issues raised by its candidacy:
  • Turkey would have the second largest population in the EU (82M for Germany, 71.5M for Turkey), with Turkey overtaking Germany by 2030. And of course the number of votes a country holds is linked to its population.
  • A relatively poor country with a GDP per capita of $11,000 (EU average $29K) and infrastructures we need to improve. We're still economically integrating Eastern Europe and need to sort out a number of policies (redirecting CAP money for instance)
  • Giving the EU a big land border with a lot of ME countries...
Kevin
It's been a while

Josquius

Weird, Ireland is taking a out and Iceland wanting in because they're both in a similar mess.

QuoteGotta love the EU...

Because thats totally why Turkey hasn't joined.
Some lesser members like Austria grumble on about that sort of thing but those in who actually run the EU don't want Turkey for other reasons. Romania and Bulgaria were really, really stretching it. Eastern Turkey though....

IMO the way for Turkey to get in the EU is Kurdish independance. That part of their country is a shit hole that drags the rest of it down. War or no.
And of course they seem to hate the Kurds. The Kurds are the one issue that seems to turn them from nice, 20th century, muslim Greeks into typical lesser people replete with nationalism.
Its never going to happen though. So Turkey will have a long wait ahead of them. Hope they don't get bored.
██████
██████
██████