News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Naval Warfaretards/Churchillians, to me!

Started by CountDeMoney, May 24, 2012, 06:40:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darth Wagtaros

PDH!

MadBurgerMaker

Gray stuff?  You mean on the carrier flight decks? :unsure:  That's just nonskid on steel.  With, you know, rust and paint around/on it.

Neil

It's always sad seeing a warship being broken up.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Tonitrus

Quote from: Neil on May 24, 2012, 08:17:25 PM

They're not being broken up, they are waiting to be rebuilt to save Earth from the Gamelons.  :(

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: Tonitrus on May 24, 2012, 08:23:27 PM
Quote from: Neil on May 24, 2012, 08:17:25 PM

They're not being broken up, they are waiting to be rebuilt to save Earth from the Gamelons.  :(
Not Japanese enough.
PDH!

grumbler

Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 24, 2012, 07:41:19 PM
Quote from: MadBurgerMaker on May 24, 2012, 04:12:08 PM
USS Bainbridge

grumbler has the conn.

True story:  look at the superstructure behind the Long Beach's bridge in Jake's picture.  That flat area?  That was originally the top of 4 ICBM launchers that went all the way to the bottom of the hll.  The ship wasn't expected to survive the launch of the ICBMs, but would take out 4 cities in passing.  It was later (maybe before completion) converted to a Regulus nuclear land attack cruise missile launcher plus reloads.  Finally, it just became the boat deck.

Weird, weird ship.  What with the planar radar arrays on the superstructure (the same as the Big E had) that never really worked because they were still tube technology (and I forget how many hundreds of thousands of tubes were involved, but the operational availability rate was truly crap), to having no guns whatsoever (later having a couple of 76mm bolted on on the newly designated "boat deck"), Long Beach qualifies as one of those white elephants before she even completed. But I will give her this:  whan she came over the horizon, no one didn't know who she was.  The only comparable ship was the USS Chicago:
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Siege

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

grumbler

The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

Ideologue

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on May 24, 2012, 07:31:02 AM
The 4th search result from "That's why she was built." is an alt-sex story about a "Far Future Fembot"  :huh:

The Battleship That Was a Girl?  I think Tim's writing that novel.

Neil's already preordered.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

grumbler

Quote from: Ideologue on May 24, 2012, 09:11:14 PM

<_<  There are many issues on which you can call "bullshit" on Neil, but his love of dreadnoughts isn't one of them.   

Especially coming from a person, like you, who idolizes the most incompetent and wasteful military unit ever, the "strategic bomber." :contract:

And, yes, it was more wasteful than the paratroop force!

Bayraktar!

CountDeMoney

Quote from: grumbler on May 24, 2012, 09:19:47 PM
Especially coming from a person, like you, who idolizes the most incompetent and wasteful military unit ever, the "strategic bomber." :contract:

Hey!!!  :mad: :mad: :mad:

Neil

Quote from: Ideologue on May 24, 2012, 09:11:14 PM
Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on May 24, 2012, 07:31:02 AM
The 4th search result from "That's why she was built." is an alt-sex story about a "Far Future Fembot"  :huh:

I came?
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

grumbler

Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 24, 2012, 09:21:48 PM
Hey!!!  :mad: :mad: :mad:

Surely you know enough to understand that the strategic bomber only came of age when it was already obsolete.  Absent the nuclear bomb, it was impotent.  With the nuclear bomb, it was a Dr Stragelovian anachronism.

Bayraktar!