American Morality

Started by Jacob, May 23, 2012, 05:36:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mongers

Quote from: alfred russel on May 23, 2012, 08:34:36 PM
Quote from: mongers on May 23, 2012, 08:28:52 PM
Quote from: alfred russel on May 23, 2012, 08:17:52 PM
Quote from: mongers on May 23, 2012, 08:00:56 PM
The married men and women having affairs result is somewhat bizarre, I'm willing to bet that approaching if not exceeding 50% of married people commit adultery over the lifetime of a marriage, so perhaps 39% of respondents are hypocrites.  :hmm:

I don't think just doing something you think is wrong makes you a hypocrite.

Aren't we all sinners, after all?

Well it's implied that the survey is about public morals, after all very few of us will ever get to clone animals, have an abortion (less so), have a same sex marriage, etc.

When cars are lined up in the turning lane, I think it is wrong to cut in line by driving to just before the turn and then cutting in front of someone not paying attention. I would even say so in a survey.

Tomorrow if I am running late, I will probably do that anyway.

Am I a hypocrite? (based on this info, not all my other posts  :P)

The better question to ask is, will you berate other people who do it to you, then we might know if you think you're a hypocrite or not.  :P
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Neil

There's nothing wrong with being a hypocrite.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: dps on May 23, 2012, 08:28:30 PM
It's my position that if you believe something is wrong, and yet you still do it, that just proves that you're a flawed human being.  If you're willing to acknowledge that it's wrong, even when it's you that does it, that doesn't make you a hypocrite. 

OK, Costanza.  :lol:

DGuller

:( I thought this was going to be a thread about American Mortality, and that it would involve some actuarial tables.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: DGuller on May 23, 2012, 11:15:05 PM
:( I thought this was going to be a thread about American Mortality, and that it would involve some actuarial tables.

Are you sad because you thought that, or because it wasn't?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Martinus

after all very few of us will ever get to clone animals, have an abortion (less so), have a same sex marriage, etc.

I call that a successful weekend. :P

Malthus

Quote from: Martinus on May 24, 2012, 01:28:33 AM
after all very few of us will ever get to clone animals, have an abortion (less so), have a same sex marriage, etc.

What, you had a kegger with the Brain?  :lol:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

garbon

Quote from: Malthus on May 24, 2012, 08:15:27 AM
Quote from: Martinus on May 24, 2012, 01:28:33 AM

What, you had a kegger with the Brain?  :lol:

No mention of the animals but cloning? Can't be Brain!
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.