News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Hawaii verifies Obama birth records to Arizona

Started by garbon, May 23, 2012, 08:48:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

derspiess

Quote from: Razgovory on May 30, 2012, 03:08:48 PM
So when he was saying there were real questions about Obama's citizenship he is in fact doing the President's biding?

Is or was?  How recent do you think that audio clip actually is?
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 30, 2012, 03:04:06 PM
Quote from: Jacob on May 30, 2012, 02:51:04 PM
Okay. Personally, I think that's a pretty high standard of proof.

Then tell me what proof you have found convincing.

QuoteI expect that's the disconnect there. First off, I think racism is a pretty simple explanation, quite possibly the simplest; secondly, I don't think anyone is alleging any sort of plot, wacked out or not.

The simplest explanation is that there are a lot of stupid people in this country who are willing to believe stupid shit they see, hear or read.  And that stupid Americans are very willing to latch on to stupdity as long as it makes their partisan opponents look bad.

Again with the plot, it may be just Raz.  I thought he had been claiming that some group of unnamed Republican opinion shapers had been disseminating the birther myth so that white racist voters, who are ashamed to openly voice their bigotry, would have a channel to express and mobilize their Obama-hatred in a more socially accetable manner.

Plot?  It's called strategy.  Political parties and individual candidates have strategists.  They typically don't make their strategies public.  If you want to qualify all political strategy as a "plot", you can.  It's weird, but if you want to do it, I suppose you can.  You do believe in strategists right?  I never said they created the myth.  Just that they exploit it.

Question:  Do you think that some people who have socially unacceptable intolerances hide them to avoid social sanction?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Razgovory

Quote from: derspiess on May 30, 2012, 03:11:59 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on May 30, 2012, 03:08:48 PM
So when he was saying there were real questions about Obama's citizenship he is in fact doing the President's biding?

Is or was?  How recent do you think that audio clip actually is?

Why?  Does the truth change with time?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 30, 2012, 03:19:28 PM
Sure.

All right, if you wanted to communicate your agreement or support of that intolerance in pubic with out overtly saying in and risking social sanction, how would you do it?

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Razgovory on May 30, 2012, 03:24:42 PM
All right, if you wanted to communicate your agreement or support of that intolerance in pubic with out overtly saying in and risking social sanction, how would you do it?

Take principled positions on issues like affirmative action.

MadImmortalMan

IMO, I doubt he ever really took that crap seriously, and would not be surprised if he's making fun of them himself. There was a recent thing about some book promotion from the 80s that mistakenly claimed Obama was born in Kenya. I think the mainstream conservo-radio guys were calling them on it because it was a lie and there's proof he was born in Hawaii.

They obviously can't still claim the birther thing and still bitch about that.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 30, 2012, 03:26:29 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on May 30, 2012, 03:24:42 PM

Take principled positions on issues like affirmative action.

I didn't say what the intolerance was.  So you'll need to generalize a bit more.  What if the Intolerance is against Jews or Catholics or the Japanese?

CountDeMoney

Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 30, 2012, 09:25:46 AM
You know, I think Berkut would've been a fantastic NKVD officer.

Much like Rubashov's 2nd interrogator in Darkness at Noon, he will simply out-will you, dueling you post-for-post, statement-for-statement, word-for-word, in a remarkably disciplined performance of endless stamina, endurance and minutiae, never wavering, never showing the slightest glimpse of fatigue;  like an intellectual blasthole drill, he will bore into you continuously until you finally capitulate.

Bumped.  Because you're all about to be shot in the morning.

Razgovory

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on May 30, 2012, 03:27:00 PM
IMO, I doubt he ever really took that crap seriously, and would not be surprised if he's making fun of them himself. There was a recent thing about some book promotion from the 80s that mistakenly claimed Obama was born in Kenya. I think the mainstream conservo-radio guys were calling them on it because it was a lie and there's proof he was born in Hawaii.

They obviously can't still claim the birther thing and still bitch about that.

Or he's just contradictory and says a lot of bullshit to fill three hours a day.  Or he just changed his mind.  Or he takes a lot of drugs and forgot what he said from one day to the next.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Razgovory on May 30, 2012, 03:28:25 PM
I didn't say what the intolerance was.  So you'll need to generalize a bit more.  What if the Intolerance is against Jews or Catholics or the Japanese?

Actually, let's start over.  I don't you can signal support for black hatred without facing censure.

derspiess

Quote from: Razgovory on May 30, 2012, 03:20:11 PM

Yes, it can-- if someone changes their mind on a subject.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 30, 2012, 03:32:09 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on May 30, 2012, 03:28:25 PM

Actually, let's start over.  I don't you can signal support for black hatred without facing censure.

Try again.

Razgovory

Quote from: derspiess on May 30, 2012, 03:33:50 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on May 30, 2012, 03:20:11 PM

Yes, it can-- if someone changes their mind on a subject.

So one day it's a legitimate question and the next it's plot by the President to make you look stupid?  How does changing your mind affect that?