News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Hawaii verifies Obama birth records to Arizona

Started by garbon, May 23, 2012, 08:48:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Berkut

Quote from: PDH on May 27, 2012, 07:52:13 AM
So this boils down, yet again to: "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."

Not really.

The basic disagreement here is whether or not DG's stance that moderate Democrats are actually Republicans because they won't vote strictly along his far left views is a fair indicator that he is a member of the fringe of his party.

There is no lack of understanding of his position that moderate Dems are not really Dems at all. At least, he has made no attempt to back away from that claim.

He just insists that calling the moderate members of his party traitors and members of the other party in a two party system does not make him an member of the extreme wing of his party, the Dem equivalent of the Tea Baggers and Nordquist crowd.

Which is rather baffling to me - his position on moderate Dems is *exactly* what Nordquist and the Tea Baggers have been insisting on for the Republican Party (albeit with much greater practical success than DGs crowd managed with the Dems). That the bulk of the party MUST accept the positions of the radical members. It is rightly and validly decried as being terrible politics and horrible for the country...when it is done by "the other guys".

It is just "party discipline" when you do it, of course.

"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Razgovory

Berkut, you need to find out what "fringe" means.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Admiral Yi

Opposition to the Iraq War and support for the public option are not what I would call fringe positions, but I'm not sure how they're part of core values either.

Razgovory

How do we determine core values Yi?  This is not a gotcha question, I'm just curious what your answer would be.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Admiral Yi

Are you asking how someone decides what their own core values are, or are you asking how we determine what someone else's core values are?

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 27, 2012, 06:52:06 PM
Are you asking how someone decides what their own core values are, or are you asking how we determine what someone else's core values are?

Of a party.

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 27, 2012, 08:09:42 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on May 27, 2012, 07:55:50 PM
Of a party.

That's not an answer to my question.

:huh:  I was asking how you can tell what are the core values of a political party.  Did I write something strange or something?

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Razgovory on May 27, 2012, 10:39:05 PM
:huh:  I was asking how you can tell what are the core values of a political party.  Did I write something strange or something?

It wasn't clear in your original question whether "we" was the party or an observer.

As an observer, you look for principles that don't change with the situation.

grumbler

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 27, 2012, 10:44:41 PM

It wasn't clear in your original question whether "we" was the party or an observer.

The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Habbaku

Quote from: grumbler on May 28, 2012, 02:37:27 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 27, 2012, 10:44:41 PM

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Jacob

For what it's worth DGuller, I find Berkut and grumbler's characterization of you and your posts pretty inaccurate.

Barrister

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.