D: Sweden
0 (0%)
D: France
1 (2.1%)
D: England
2 (4.3%)

Total Members Voted: 45

Valmy

Heh.  Did nobody learn anything from the Dutch?  You cannot hope to beat Spain at its own game.  They were doing better when they were attacking.

And I am not just saying that because the overtime WAS FUCKING BORING.

Honestly.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Ed Anger

That was so boring, I never want to see Spain or Portugal play ever again.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Josephus

Quote from: Liep on June 27, 2012, 05:00:20 PM
Quote from: HVC on June 27, 2012, 04:56:24 PM
Also, is it true the fans were booing Spain during the game?
Yep, when they reached the 10th or so pass around the middle of the field they booed. I don't really get why, Spain does passing better than anyone else, it's how they win. The crowd didn't boo Portugal for going all defensive in the extra time because that's how they thought they could win.

From a neutral perspective it is  very boring though. I can appreciate that this strategy won them two major tournaments (three if you count the Confederations Cup which everyone forgets). It's a lot like chess. Which is why chess is not very popular on television.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Iormlund

Quote from: Josephus on June 27, 2012, 05:32:05 PM
...three if you count the Confederations Cup which everyone forget...

We didn't win that one. US knocked us out. There was a very amusing thread, I think at EUOT, where Stonewall was claiming the US was a WC contender after having defeated the EC champion and got quite annoyed when I pointed out it was still a third rate team and the Confederation's Cup no better than a friendly.

FunkMonk

Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

alfred russel

Quote from: Iormlund on June 27, 2012, 05:42:14 PM

We didn't win that one. US knocked us out. There was a very amusing thread, I think at EUOT, where Stonewall was claiming the US was a WC contender after having defeated the EC champion and got quite annoyed when I pointed out it was still a third rate team and the Confederation's Cup no better than a friendly.

I was also beating my chest about that here. Sure, I know that it was a crappy tournament, but had we won I would never admit that, and continue to point out that we were once world champions. Since 2nd place really doesn't carry as much cache, and it is obvious we suck again (still), I'm letting it go.  :swiss:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

alfred russel

After the last two games, I also now understand why the goals don't need to be bigger: almost all the penalties go in. However, I'm confused as to why the actual games need to be played. :whistle:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

DGuller

Grr, my DVR recording crapped out right before the first penalty shot.  :ultra:  And I set it with plenty of time to spare, it's the quality that crapped out.  :(

DGuller

Quote from: alfred russel on June 27, 2012, 07:12:33 PM
After the last two games, I also now understand why the goals don't need to be bigger: almost all the penalties go in. However, I'm confused as to why the actual games need to be played. :whistle:
You need to tire out the penalty kickers, to make it more interesting.

Ed Anger

You got a Time Warner Box? I hate their set top boxes.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

DGuller

Quote from: Ed Anger on June 27, 2012, 07:18:59 PM
You got a Time Warner Box? I hate their set top boxes.
No, Comcast, or whatever the fuck they they're called now.

Josephus

Quote from: Iormlund on June 27, 2012, 05:42:14 PM

See....even I forgot. :lol:
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

FunkMonk

Quote from: DGuller on June 27, 2012, 07:17:46 PM
Grr, my DVR recording crapped out right before the first penalty shot.  :ultra:  And I set it with plenty of time to spare, it's the quality that crapped out.  :(

That sucks.  :(

I set my DVR up this morning and I had a feeling it would go into extra time at least, so I added an extra 30 minutes too. The full game plus pens just barely sneaked in.

I have a feeling tomorrow's game won't have to go to extra time. :hmm:

Scipio

That was shit.  One of the best scorers in the game doesn't get to kick 30 feet over the goal in PKs?  I feel cheated!

I could have laughed at Ronaldo playbacks for WEEKS!

YOU FUCKING PORKCHOPS!
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

FunkMonk