D: Sweden
0 (0%)
D: France
1 (2.1%)
D: England
2 (4.3%)

Total Members Voted: 45

Admiral Yi

Spain seemed to outclass Germany in the Cupo Mondial.  Are there reasons to think things will be different this time?

Sheilbh

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 25, 2012, 04:52:26 AM
Spain seemed to outclass Germany in the Cupo Mondial.  Are there reasons to think things will be different this time?
Two years on.  Germany's fresh young things from 2010 are now more bedded in and experienced - like Ozil - while they've got new, young players coming up like Reus and Hummels (I think).  Plus I think Germany had equally good form coming into the tournament.  They've been playing very well so far.

Plus it's been a few years since Germany's won a major tournament.  They're sort of due one.
Let's bomb Russia!

Gups

Quote from: alfred russel on June 24, 2012, 07:09:29 PM
Are there some up and coming players for England? To my amateur eyes, they look terrible.

It's a terrible England team, probably the worst in 20 years. For about 25 minutes yesterday we looked quite good, passing the ball nicely out of defence but then reverted to mediocrity.

Had we been playing Germany we would have got spanked.

Josquius

Bugger. I was sure England would win. Despite my best efforts I'd caught a glimpse of a headline which in my head I'd pieced together as England avoiding penalties and getting through. It wasn't to be.
Oh well, nobody cares this year, me particularly.
██████
██████
██████

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Tyr on June 25, 2012, 06:01:32 AM
Bugger. I was sure England would win. Despite my best efforts I'd caught a glimpse of a headline which in my head I'd pieced together as England avoiding penalties and getting through. It wasn't to be.
Oh well, nobody cares this year, me particularly.

:lol:

The Larch

Quote from: Sheilbh on June 25, 2012, 04:55:28 AM
Two years on.  Germany's fresh young things from 2010 are now more bedded in and experienced - like Ozil - while they've got new, young players coming up like Reus and Hummels (I think).  Plus I think Germany had equally good form coming into the tournament.  They've been playing very well so far.

Plus it's been a few years since Germany's won a major tournament.  They're sort of due one.

And Spain is missing Villa and Puyol.

Josephus

It's not that clear but in this pic you can just make out an English fan trying to distract Italy's final shooter by pulling his pants down. He's wearing green shirt, behind goal, no pants:

SMALL PENIS ALERT:

https://twitter.com/ilMonz/status/217210413882941440/photo/1
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Pedrito

Quote from: Josephus on June 25, 2012, 10:09:56 AM
It's not that clear but in this pic you can just make out an English fan trying to distract Italy's final shooter by pulling his pants down. He's wearing green shirt, behind goal, no pants:

SMALL PENIS ALERT:

https://twitter.com/ilMonz/status/217210413882941440/photo/1
:D

L.
b / h = h / b+h

27 Zoupa Points, redeemable at the nearest liquor store! :woot:

Hansmeister

Quote from: Sheilbh on June 25, 2012, 04:55:28 AM

Indeed, Germany has grown more experienced and has developed a broader bench.  Incredibly, the team is younger today than it was in South Africa (where, just like now, it was the youngest team on the pitch).  The young starting players have grown more experienced while a whole new wave of even younger players are starting to apply pressure to the stars of 2010.

Gups

Germany have been the best team to watch this tournament and I think are the best team.

Josephus

Germany's defence is a bit suspect, but they won't have to worry because Spain's offence isn't that strong. Germany's problem is going to be getting and keeping the ball. Although I don't think Spain is as good as they were 4 or even 2 years ago, they still master the game of ball possession. Basically their strategy is going to be "you want to win, come and get it."

I do think Germany is overall a better team, and want a more attack-minded team to win this tournament; but Spain's control of the game is still tops.

And all this is assuming we don't have a Portugal v. Italy final.  :D
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Pedrito

Quote from: Josephus on June 25, 2012, 10:59:32 AM
Germany's defence is a bit suspect, but they won't have to worry because Spain's offence isn't that strong. Germany's problem is going to be getting and keeping the ball. Although I don't think Spain is as good as they were 4 or even 2 years ago, they still master the game of ball possession. Basically their strategy is going to be "you want to win, come and get it."

I do think Germany is overall a better team, and want a more attack-minded team to win this tournament; but Spain's control of the game is still tops.

And all this is assuming we don't have a Portugal v. Italy final.  :D
We'll see    :moon:

L.
b / h = h / b+h

27 Zoupa Points, redeemable at the nearest liquor store! :woot:

Zanza

Germany has never won a competitive game against Italy. Let's first see if they can beat the Italians before we talk about Spain. I reckon they have a fair chance, but Italy is at a similar level as Germany, unlike e.g. Greece.

Zanza

Quote from: Gups on June 25, 2012, 05:01:41 AM
Had we been playing Germany we would have got spanked.
While Italy deservedly won, I had hoped for England. Because of what you say. While I am a bit sceptical whether Germany can beat Italy, I was pretty sure that Germany would beat England.

Gups

Quote from: Zanza on June 25, 2012, 11:23:41 AM
Germany has never won a competitive game against Italy. Let's first see if they can beat the Italians before we talk about Spain. I reckon they have a fair chance, but Italy is at a similar level as Germany, unlike e.g. Greece.

Nope you're a significantly better team than Italy.

You think any of the German forwards would have missed the chances Baliotelli did last night?