Syria Disintegrating: Part 2

Started by jimmy olsen, May 22, 2012, 01:22:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DGuller

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 26, 2012, 05:59:44 AM
Quote from: DGuller on June 26, 2012, 05:55:20 AM
Why is Syria trying to bait Turkey?

It's utterly incomprehensible to me.

What would make more sense is if Turkey were trying to manufacter an international incident.  :ph34r:
:hmm:  Are there any radio stations on the Turkish border?

jimmy olsen

Asad is doomed.

http://worldnews.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/06/26/12414144-turkey-to-help-liberate-the-syrians-from-dictatorship?lite

QuoteTurkey to help 'liberate the Syrians from dictatorship'
By Ian Johnston, msnbc.com

Turkey's prime minister said Tuesday that his country would offer all possible support "to liberate the Syrians from dictatorship," as NATO condemned Syria for shooting down a Turkey military jet.

Prime Minister Tayyip Erdogan said Turkey – a member of NATO – had changed the rule of engagement for its military and would now respond to any violation of the Syrian border.

Turkey would not engage in war-mongering, but the attack on the reconnaissance jet, which was deliberately targeted, would not be left unanswered, Erdogan said in a speech to his ruling AK Party deputies in parliament.

"However valuable Turkey's friendship is, its wrath is just as strong. Don't take our common sense and cautious approach as a sign of passivity," Erdogan said, according to Turkish newspaper Zaman.

"The Syrian administration is tyrannical and not just. Turkey will be in solidarity with our brothers in Syria until a new regime is in place," he added. "Turkey will be in solidarity with our brothers in Syria until a new regime arrives."

"We will offer all the possible support to liberate the Syrians from dictatorship," Erdogan said.

Turkish border a crucial link in Syrian conflict

Meanwhile, ambassadors of NATO's 28 member states met in Brussels on Tuesday to consult with Turkey on the incident after it called for the meeting.

Turkey seeks NATO action over Syria jet downing

"NATO allies have expressed strong condemnation of this completely unacceptable act," NATO Secretary-General Anders Fogh Rasmussen said after the gathering.

Report: Syrian general, dozens of other soldiers defect to Turkey

Rasmussen said NATO security was "indivisible", but he said NATO's Article 5 -- which calls for member states to see an attack on one country as an attack on all the alliance's members -- had not been discussed.

"We stand together with Turkey in spirit of solidarity," he said.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Sheilbh

Quote from: DGuller on June 26, 2012, 05:55:20 AM
Why is Syria trying to bait Turkey?
Disintegrating patrimonial regimes aren't always that coherent far less understandable.  It does seem bizarre.  But I think there's maybe a few possible motivations. 
They're worried about scrambling the jets, which would be a normal response, given the defection to Jordan.
They want to demonstrate they can shoot planes down.  I've read that the relatively modern, Russian, air security in Syria would be a worry for intervention.  They may want to show it's working and ready.
They're scared.  They may well be expecting intervention at any point.

But I agree it's very difficult to understand what's going on and what the Syrians want to achieve.
Let's bomb Russia!

Darth Wagtaros

He may hope to rally Syrians against a Turkish invasion.  Get Western forces involved from US and Europe to rally pan-Arabists and Islamists?
PDH!

Sheilbh

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on June 26, 2012, 06:13:15 AM
He may hope to rally Syrians against a Turkish invasion.  Get Western forces involved from US and Europe to rally pan-Arabists and Islamists?
Except the Turkish government's hugely popular in the Arab world and Islamist.  While Assad's a secularist tyrant, with few Arab friends, hailing from a heterodox sect.
Let's bomb Russia!

Admiral Yi

There aren't any pan Arabists left outside the Syrian Baath party.

Tough for a wacko Islamic splinter sect with a history of blowing up Islamists to rally support against a moderate Islamist state.

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: Sheilbh on June 26, 2012, 06:14:20 AM
Except the Turkish government's hugely popular in the Arab world and Islamist.  While Assad's a secularist tyrant, with few Arab friends, hailing from a heterodox sect.
I am aware.  However, at this point it may be the only card he feels he has left to play, short of gassing rebel territory.
PDH!

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Tamas

Turkish official confirms troop movements toward Syrian border. For "precaution". Right, because a Syrian invasion is a real danger at present.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Tamas on June 28, 2012, 03:21:10 AM
Turkish official confirms troop movements toward Syrian border. For "precaution". Right, because a Syrian invasion is a real danger at present.
They've said they'll treat any Syrian forces 'approaching' the border as hostile.
Let's bomb Russia!

Tamas

Turkish FM sez their soldiers mistook the plane for an Israeli one.

what is that supposed to be? Is it okay to just shoot at jewish planes?

Oh, right, on that part of the world, it is much better then shooting at muslim planes.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Tamas on June 28, 2012, 08:39:37 AM
Turkish FM sez their soldiers mistook the plane for an Israeli one.

what is that supposed to be? Is it okay to just shoot at jewish planes?

Oh, right, on that part of the world, it is much better then shooting at muslim planes.

:lol: Whelp...

Grey Fox

Is Turkey's answer going to be : "Oh, alright. Shit happens. 1 for 1?"
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Tamas

I wonder how that goes around there.

"Dude, I just opened the door and you almost shot me. I am your cousin, WTF?!"
"But Abdul, I thought you were a jew"
"ah, alright then. Whats for dinner?"